Motoring Discussion > Trolleybus50 open day at Fulwell Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 1

Trolleybus50 open day at Fulwell - henry k

For all Trolleybus fans and others.

Fullwell garage ( TW2 5NX ) is between Teddington and Twickenham but also just a few minutes from J1 of the M3.
For any visitors from the M3 the simplest directions are - at the end of the motorway keep going on the A316 until in comes down to ground a a roundabout. Third exit and then through lights at The Fountain pub.
Fulwell depot is behind Wickes and Twickenham VW.
Not sure which of the two entrances is required.

"A free ‘Trolleybus50′ open day is being held at Fulwell Depot on Saturday 12th May 2012 to mark the 50th Anniversary of the last trolleybuses to run in London.

London’s first and last trolleybuses will be on display along with other classic and iconic London buses, including Routemasters. This important landmark in London’s transport history will celebrate the 31 years of silent service that trolleybuses gave to the community.

Just after 1am on Wednesday 9 May 1962 London’s very last Trolleybus service ran into Fulwell Depot, ending an era of overhead powered road transport. Thousands turned out to witness this historic event. 31 years earlier on 16th May 1931, London’s first Trolleybus service had gone into service from Fulwell. At its peak London’s Trolleybus network covered 255 miles of the capital and was operated by a fleet of 1,811 vehicles.

teddingtontown.co.uk/2012/03/07/celebrate-50th-anniversary-of-londons-last-trolleybus/

Includes some pics.
 Trolleybus50 open day at Fulwell - Mike Hannon
Trolleybuses are still in intensive use at Limoges, not far from me. They build their own and trolleybus enthusiasts tell me Limoges is now one of the world centres of the technology.
In a field near us is the hulk of a 1960s or 1970s Limoges trolleybus, still in one piece and with all its interior intact. A couple of years ago I was asked to send pictures of it to a UK enthusiast, after I mentioned it in the Other Place. Why someone should have towed it 25 miles and dumped it in a field has been intriguing me for years.
Latest Forum Posts