Non-motoring > Dizzy spell Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 80

Dizzy spell - Stuu
Just had a funny turn, not sure what to make of it as Im not one for having them up till now.

I was sitting at my laptop and what I can only describe as feeling like a small electric shock, definately in my head and I felt it quickly tingle down my arms and legs.
Then I completely lost my balance in the chair, like being fairly drunk, walking very weird and my head feels 'heavy'.

Ive got up and walked about, feel a little better but still spinning a bit. Stuck my head out the window for a few minutes, seemed to help. Keep having flashes of feeling sick, then they pass.

Not sure whether to worry any more about it or just have a lie down? Weirded me out abit.
 Dizzy spell - Zero
Any vista disturbances? flashing lights? lot of the symptoms you described are those of severe Migraine.
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
None no. Not a hint of pain in any way. Still feel like I have weights hanging on my head. Not keen on it.
 Dizzy spell - Focusless
Worrying - have you tried the web eg. www.patient.co.uk/health/Dizziness.htm
although I didn't spot a good match after a quick skim.
 Dizzy spell - Focusless
And
www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Dizziness-Giddiness-and-Feeling-Faint.htm
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
No nothing that is quite it though id rather not have any of those things :-/

Balance is still off, I keep leaning over, esp standing still.
 Dizzy spell - RattleandSmoke
One thing I have learnt is it is dangerous trying to self diagnose over the internet. I would go to the doctor and get yourself checked out.

Hopefully is nothing too serious :). As we get older the body can't cope with things as well. My mother for example can only spend 30 minutes at a time on the computer or she gets very dizzy and gets a severe head ache.
 Dizzy spell - CGNorwich
If I were you would get to casualty for a check up. Best to be on the safe side. Anyone there to drive you?
 Dizzy spell - Armel Coussine
>> casualty for a check up. Best to be on the safe side.

My very thought. How is your speech Stu? Any slurring?

Run yourself past the medics. It's a sound policy with very funny turns.
And Armel was right when he diagnosed a problem I had (although a doc did confirm it, or rather suggested it separately). Don't be by shy although if you do go tonight go ASAP before all the drunks arrive.
 Dizzy spell - Dutchie
Agree about Migraine.I had one this afternoon symptoms lost some vision.Flashes and dizzy.

I took a migraine tablet and straight to bed,dark room for me.I've had them for years if a severe attack I can't move for a day.Go and see the doctor when you have the change FoR better be save than sorry.
 Dizzy spell - devonite
Not trying to worry you, but something very similar happened to a close friend a couple of years ago, first time (like you) she worked through it, and it passed. A couple of days later it struck again, this time it didn `t seem to be improving with time, so went to A&E. Was diagnosed with a clot that was affecting a small area of her Brain, Two days in Hospital on "Clot-busting" drip, and a further week off work recovering at home! = Get checked out soon as!
 Dizzy spell - Lygonos
If you feel ok when absolutely still, but start 'spinning' when you move your head/body/sit up quickly then you likely have some form of vertigo (=not exciting).

If you feel dizzy whatever you do (ie lying down/sitting up/making a cup of tea) then it may be a cardiovascular event - low blood pressure/migraine/stroke.

Migraine is unlikely without an aura (eg. flashing lights) before the dizziness, or previous history at age 30ish.

If it is persistent for more than an hour especially if there is nothing you can do to make it any better/worse I'd call NHS24 or go to casualty (best avoided on a Friday night) to exclude an odd heartbeat/blood pressure/stroke (although this is unlikely with no other deficit such as weakness or slurred speech).

Bottom line is it's unlikely to be serious, but rare things do happen rarely.

All this assumes you haven't missed your tea - if so go and eat something as it may be a drop of blood sugar.

**Edit** - if you are sitting still and feeling very dizzy get checked out - still unlikely to be serious, but unlikely doesn't cut it in my book. Any limb weakness, slurred speech, droopy face etc is a good enough reason for a 999 call.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 23 Mar 12 at 23:34
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
Get yourself checked out professionally - tonight. Could be nothing but could be a small warning of something.

I can say what it might sounds like to me but I am no medic. Get it checked out. But Transient Ischemic Attack came to mind. Where's Lygonos when you need him! Any discomfort in your calfs recently?
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
I should add that posting on here means it's not immediately serious I would think!
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
Can he lift his arms and hold them up - I am assuming yes.

And doesn't FoR have issues with his back so could it not be related to that. If concerned get it checked out. But A&E might not be nice tonight. Out of hours doctor's service in your area?
 Dizzy spell - Lygonos
95% of strokes are painless.

My advice (much that it pains me!) would be call NHS24 - they have algorithms that they go through which are fairly good at weeding out insignificant events.

Plan B is to see what your wife thinks - if she is worried that 'you don't seem right' that's good enough for me to consider an urgent opinion.
 Dizzy spell - Lygonos
If there are 100-200 posters on this site then there will be at least a handful who have personally had strokes/heart attacks - I bet their advice will be 'seek advice if in any doubt'

9 out of 10 chest pains that arrive in A&E are NOT heart attacks.

No one will shout at you for not knowing what's wrong with you.

If they do, refer them to me ;-)
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
I only mentioned calfs because if there was a clot and it moved it was likely to be from the calfs. Or so this novice thought.

Also what is Stu's pulse like - normal? Fast? Irregular?
 Dizzy spell - Dutchie
Agree about what your wife thinks.My wife saved me a few times.
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
Reading this again:

"Then I completely lost my balance in the chair, like being fairly drunk, walking very weird and my head feels 'heavy'."

Stu needs to get himself checked over in my opinion and I will wager £20 to his charity nothing is wrong. Better safe than sorry.

How's your back Stu?
 Dizzy spell - DeeW
As many have said, ring NHS Direct as it is Friday night and A&E will be a nightmare - as well as the several ideas floated, you could need to see a neurologist. Better to be seen quickly 'just in case' and if it is like this area, NHS Direct can arrange a speedy home visit from a doctor whatever the hour. If necessary that doctor can get you admitted straight into the correct ward, by-passing A&E.
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
I've seen an out of hours GP and they wanted me to go to hospital once. Surprise foe me was they then admitted me overnight for tests. No waiting in A&E.

Stu's either gone to bed or for a check-up? And he perhaps should have gone for a checkup anyway. He will probably feel fine tomorrow anyway but the 'evidence' may be gone.

All the best Stu.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 00:25
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
Almost right now.

The house is pretty warm, about 23c and I feel warm, so ive drunk about a pint of water just to cover that aspect off.

Steady on my feet now. My neck started hurting an hour ago so I did my physio neck exercises and it subsided, I wondered if a pinched nerve in the neck could have done it as I do have a problem with it.

Pulse is steady, feel sick off and on still when sitting up but ok when standing and walking about. Seems worth noting that ive had pain in my right ear off and on this last week but it never lasts more than an hour or so.

What freaked me out was the lightening strike way it came on.

Dizzy spell - rtj70
Good to hear you're nearly okay. But don't you want to find out what caused it tonight? It might well be your neck. But nice to know what is really was.
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
I do, but im also half asleep and im hoping that a good nights sleep might help.

Ive the weekend off and I dont plan on doing much so ill take it easy and go see the docs next week, unless they are open tomorrow, not sure about that.
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
Getting it checked out sooner might help figure out the problem.

Probably related to the existing neck problem....
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 00:58
 Dizzy spell - Dog
Glad to 'see' (via the other thread) you're still in the land of the living stu,

I had a similar thing happen to me last year when I was cutting my grass (3 hr job up here!)

I really thought the end had come, which didn't really bother me tbh, I was more concerned about my wife,

I'm still here though :)
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
I wasnt expecting to expire overnight - if there is a God he would atleast have the decency to let me watch the F1 this weekend first :-)

Feeling better this morning although my neck is very sore indeed and my back is the worst its been for months. Maybe my increased work rate of late is starting to bite, knew I should have stayed lazy :-p
 Dizzy spell - Meldrew
I am very pleased that you are feeling better but don't wait for the "Next time"; please get yourself an appointment with somebody medical. BTW if you have been spared by the intervention of a divine being he will not be happy if you waste your newly gained time watch F1. Moto GP starts on 8th April - can you wait that long for some real motor sport!
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
Doctors next week. Wife says so. Ive just driven 40 miles and I felt fine.

I come home and find my funeral is being planned. Nice to know what the priorities are :-)
 Dizzy spell - Dutchie
Make sure there is plenty of booze Stu.Crate of Heineken wouldn't go amiss.>:)
 Dizzy spell - Roger.

>> I come home and find my funeral is being planned. Nice to know what the
>> priorities are :-)
It's cheaper to leave one's corpse for medical research. I believe the researchers cart the bits away at no, or minimal, charge.
Seriously thinking of it myself - not that I am tight, you understand (Yeah - right!) but would love to deprive the undertakers and their mutes of a wedge of cash.
 Dizzy spell - CGNorwich
You don't need to employ undertakers . Dig your own grave in the back yard and arrange for someone to tip you in when you're gone. All perfectly legal.
 Dizzy spell - DeeW
After I had signed the contract with the undertakers to collect husband from Southampton and take him to Bournemouth Crematorium, no cars, no flowers etc - £2,700 - a friend told me she had arranged her husband's funeral herself a few years ago.
All agreed with him beforehand. Bought coffin, hospital filled it. Friend with estate car collected it from Southampton and drove to Bournemouth. Staff at Bournemouth removed coffin from car and took to the Chapel. She paid fees direct, including to the vicar and the doctors. Vast sum of money saved paid for a hell of a good lunch party for family and friends after a church memorial service a few weeks later!
 Dizzy spell - Dutchie
Cutting my grass takes about a 1hr.I didn't feel to good after it was done.

Wifes outlast us Dog they have it easy..>;)
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
Two thoughts I had had from reading Stu's initial post:

- TIA... or knowing his history on here about his back
- Back problems

Still I'd get checked out if I was Stu.
 Dizzy spell - Zero
Do we have a protocol for a C4P funeral? Who does all the organising , one of the mods?
 Dizzy spell - devonite
Well I won`t be coming to the "Wake"! - I`m not traveling all that way down South for Triangular-cut, crustless Cucumber Sarnies and cheapo "Chateaux Tesco redo-plonko"!!

I want proper `ot-pot, Thick-crusty-doorstop bread (to dunk in it) and a few galls of good ole Northern Bitter to swill it down!.
 Dizzy spell - Zero
No doubt you want his favourite whippet and flat cap thrown onto the funeral pyre
 Dizzy spell - devonite
I`ll have the flat-cap! - but you can do what you want with the whippet (`orrible, skinny shiverin timorous wee beasties!! - how can they be Northern Dogs?).
 Dizzy spell - Clk Sec
>>Do we have a protocol for a C4P funeral?<<

Are there likely to be more attendees than at the average Car4play/Other Place get together?

If so, we might have to arrange catering for four this time.

(Glad you're feeling better, Stu)
 Dizzy spell - Zero
Don't forget the catering costa are coming out of his estate - free food and booze - so the turnout will be huge. Plus I want to see what is choice of funeral hearse will be.
 Dizzy spell - Dog
>> I want to see what is choice of funeral hearse will be<<

www.topgear.com/uk/perodua/kenari

:)
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
>>Plus I want to see what is choice of funeral hearse will be.<<

Full horse drawn affair. If its good enough for the Royals, its good enough for me.

As for catering, its pie and chips all round. Cucumber sandwiches? Do me a favour, if im going as far as dying, you can ditch the dainty dieting for a day.
Last edited by: FoR on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 14:16
 Dizzy spell - zookeeper
you know your getting old when you say to yourself " what music shall i have played at my funeral" ? stairway to heaven is deffo out of the question...although i did see led zep twice in the 1970,s
 Dizzy spell - Dog
Cop old of this then beekeeper ~ www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00g8tfx/Prog_at_the_BBC/
 Dizzy spell - zookeeper
nice find canis, anne nightingale looked like shed been pulled through a hedge forwards, still give her a pop tho
 Dizzy spell - R.P.
They'll have to be hymns at mine.

Blaen Wern (Avant will appreciate that) is compulsory - and possibly some bits from Mozart's Requiem...
 Dizzy spell - Lygonos
Likeliest diagnosis is some kind of neck thingy, so sorry to dash your hopes for a funeral.

Stu, have you thought what you'd like to drive after it gets worse?

Maybe a Sirocco ?

tinyurl.com/stu-northants-sirocco

Dizzy spell - Iffy
...Blaen Wern (Avant will appreciate that) is compulsory - and possibly some bits from Mozart's Requiem...

Most people choose stuff they want to listen to which is selfish and daft because they will be dead and not able to hear it.

Better to choose something you think those attending might like.

Dizzy spell - R.P.
I don't care iffy. I may not be right but I'm happy as Slatibartfast said.
 Dizzy spell - Iffy
...I don't care iffy...

Me neither.

I shall leave enough to get the job done, so as not to embarrass whoever deals with my estate.

But there will be no funeral instructions.

Dizzy spell - R.P.
Thought you had a convertible...!

Mind you, my late wife left no instructions - I knew she didn't want to be cremated so it was a cymbals, bells and whistles affair - her mother was impressed so it must have been ok.
 Dizzy spell - Iffy
Never given it much thought, but I imagine a funeral isn't compulsory.

If there is no one to deal with the dead person's affairs, and they are potless, I believe the local authority is obliged to bury them somewhere.

The phrase "pauper's grave" springs to mind.

Dizzy spell - R.P.
It's called the "social fund" these days - they will stump up - reluctantly.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Bereaved/DG_10018660

Sadly a question often asked at the CAB of late.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 22:00
 Dizzy spell - henry k
>> Never given it much thought, but I imagine a funeral isn't compulsory.
>>
>> I believe the local authority is obliged to bury them somewhere.
>>
>> The phrase "pauper's grave" springs to mind.
>>
There is an alternative that is free.
Donate your body to medical science.
My daughter went to a medical school that trained with cadavers.
The sensitivity with which the whole process was handled ensured that dignity was maintained. There was an annual thanks giving service for all those who had donated.
 Dizzy spell - devonite
Gunther von Hagens is always looking for folk to "Plastinate"!
 Dizzy spell - Dog
>>Gunther von Hagens is always looking for folk to "Plastinate"!<<

I wonder if my mummy ever met him?
 Dizzy spell - AnotherJohnH
>> Gunther von Hagens is always looking for folk to "Plastinate"!
>>

You had me worried for a minute there, but there's two "A"'s in the name of the ice cream people.

Well, didn't Walls use pig fat in ice cream once upon a time? ....The bits left over that didn't get into the sausages?

or is that:

urban myth
or, my memory playing tricks
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Sun 25 Mar 12 at 09:41
 Dizzy spell - Zero

>> Well, didn't Walls use pig fat in ice cream once upon a time? ....The bits
>> left over that didn't get into the sausages?

Currently not, they use vegetable oil now, Walls Ice cream can be classed as a vegetarian product.

However, animal fats were, and still can be a constituent part of ice cream in general.
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
Called NHS direct, almost wish I hadnt now, she sounded worried.

Waiting for a call back from local doctor now, they insisted I saw someone tonight as my head is banging again and im sick as.

If I dont see ya again, tally ho :-)
 Dizzy spell - R.P.
Hope you're OK Stu.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 26 Mar 12 at 22:20
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
Hope you're okay Stu. Stop worrying about that hosepipe ban will you!
Good luck Stu :) Hopefully it is just something minor but doctors do have to be cautious, I know I was worried sick when I was going through tests etc, but turned out to be not much :).

Dizzy spell - FocalPoint
"Called NHS direct, almost wish I hadnt now, she sounded worried."

Which means you did exactly the right thing, Stu.

As we haven't had anything from you for a while, presumably you have got yourself to hospital/health centre or a doctor has come to you.

Best wishes from us all (I'm sure I speak for many members here). Take it easy and put our minds at rest as soon as you're able to.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 26 Mar 12 at 22:44
 Dizzy spell - Zero
Well at least the family are not going to fight over your car.
 Dizzy spell - Dutchie
He could be worried about making a living.Son in law has a lot of stress at the moment at work .Not good for anyones health.
 Dizzy spell - rtj70
>> He could be worried about making a living

He probably is, especially with the hose pipe ban but it might be something else. He has back (and neck?) problems too.

His original post above got a few on here saying he should get checked out ASAP.... he is now. I thought he should have done that at the weekend personally.

All the best Stu. Looking forward to your next silly car choice dilemma on here.
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
>>Looking forward to your next silly car choice dilemma on here.<<

Wild ideas already on the table. Im either changing up in Sept or Feb, depends on the money at the time.
 Dizzy spell - Dog
>>Well at least the family are not going to fight over your car<<

Laughter is the best medicine :)
 Dizzy spell - Clk Sec
Pecker up, Stu. All the best.
 Dizzy spell - VxFan
I just think he's caught a virus from his laptop ;o)
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
Im back :-)

Just spent the night in the cells ( well thats what hospitals feel like to me ).

I went from the doctor I saw straight to A&E as he wasnt happy with how I was.

Two hour wait, better than some places I guess though it meant I was seen at 2am.

Then the fun started. I was put in a souless, windowless room for 9 hours straight, just two cups of water, some blood taken and a few checks of me vitals.
I was told they were trying to find me a bed on a ward as they wanted me to have a CT scan.
At 6:30am I was told it wasnt far off. At 10am I enquired how did I discharge myself which prompted the receptionist to bend the ear of the doctor who was coming to see me. An hour after that she appeared asking if he had been, he had not. So she again persued him.

He eventually materialised around 11:30am and started off by apologising as essentially id been forgotten by the person he took over from that morning and he said he would file some report about it as id literally been waiting for answers for 12 hours which apparently is naughty. Genuinely nice bloke, sort of a Hugh Grant in doctor form, very personable.

Anyway he did all his examination and he said the chance of it being a bleed was very low and the general conclusion was that I pinched a big nerve and essentially shorted myself out. He reckoned the sudden way it materialised pointed to that, aswell as the senation afterwards, combined with my existing neck issues.
He mentioned arthritis in my upper neck which worried me a little bit, so I suppose damage limitation is order of the day. Not supposed to work more than a few hours at a time and not push myself physically at all or I could loose alot more movement.

Still, the main thing is, its none of the bad things, just an extreme occurance of an existing problem.

Thanks chaps. NHS, not so much, room to improve hardly covers it - only pretty nurses eased my total boredom.
Last edited by: FoR on Tue 27 Mar 12 at 13:13
 Dizzy spell - Clk Sec
Glad to hear that you're back in the land of the living!
 Dizzy spell - FocalPoint
Thanks for letting us know.

Sounds as if you could do with some sleep!
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
I do need some sleep. Due to the fact that I was 'held' in an examination room, one of those with those beds which have less than an inch of padding, plus the heat and noise, I got half an hours shut eye last night.

It was all in all, a horrid experience and im less than impressed, though the staff are well meaning and nice. Organisation, not so much and an awful lot of nattering and wasting time ( I could see where they all worked ).
What actually made the experience worse was the setting. Im sure some work has been done since Kettering General went up, but when you stuck in these places, the enviroment has quite an effect on you, so some far warmer, less clinical visuals would certainly lessen the depression. By 8am I could have cried, id read every notice, every packet of supplies. A view, some garden visable, to take you away from where you are, would have made all the difference.
 Dizzy spell - R.P.
Just don't do what my biking pal did when he was discharged - start wearing Crocs just because the nursing staff found them comfy - I think he must have knocked his head when he came off...
Glad to hear that, wouldn't like you to go because this place would be boring without you :p. In all seriousness you seem like a nice bloke and you're too young to be having these issues but I suppose all you can do is get on with it the best you can.

Dizzy spell - DeeW
I am glad you finally sought medical opinion

Stu, however horrid the experience, it appears your 'Hugh Grant alike' did not wait for you to have the CT scan. I said earlier this sounded as if you needed to see a neurologist. Even more so now! An MRI will show what is happening most clearly. It could be caused by general wear and tear on the region, which you know about, then causing it to nip the spinal chord or some kind of lesion on the chord. Necks are not to be ignored as if you do more damage to this region it affects everything below from feet upwards (including water works and bowel) - not good long term.

Sorry to be a nag, but someone I know was still doing the 'man thing' of saying he didn't need to see the doctor right up until the ambulance arrived.
Last edited by: DeeW on Tue 27 Mar 12 at 17:10
 Dizzy spell - Stuu
Its ok, ive not given up on my neck yet, but I want to give it enough time for the notes to get to my doctors as the hospital doc said regardless of the lack of progress the first time, I should keep persuing treatment for my neck for the reasons you describe.

I consider it a shot across the bow to take better care of myself and not push it anymore, know my limitations etc.
Latest Forum Posts