Non-motoring > First alcohol, now food Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 41

First alcohol, now food - Focusless
"Calories to be cut by major food and drink companies"
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17496660

So as well as paying more for our booze, we're going to have to pay more to maintain our calorie intake (unless of course the companies reduce prices in line with reductions in calories, which seems unlikely).

Is this really going to help?
Last edited by: Webmaster on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 13:08
 First alocohol, now food - Manatee
Cutting calories probably costs more. Sugar and fat are cheap.

Well known that poorer folk tend to eat less healthy food.
 First alocohol, now food - devonite
>>Cutting calories probably costs more. Sugar and fat are cheap.<<

Probably end up keeping the same recipes, after all the machines are all there to make the product, they will just re-programme them to deliver less quantity of finished mixture to each Bar, Can, packet etc.
Once again less product for customer =less calories = more product per batch, hence more profit for company, and to implement this idea they will claim has cost millions, new packaging etc, so price per unit rises significantly. Same type of thing happened when Choccy bars for e.g went from Imperial to metric, quite simply they shrunk and cost more!
 First alocohol, now food - PhilW
"Well known that poorer folk tend to eat less healthy food"
In that case why not have a minumum price for calories/fat/sugar?
In that way the Gov can ensure that they aren't eating too much with their no-longer cheap alcohol which they buy with their reduced (?) benefits.
Wonder if they can afford to enjoy a fag after the meal?
They could always nip out to Greggs for a warm pasty...........oh, hang on
 First alocohol, now food - teabelly
The high calorie food aisles in supermarkets should be narrowed so the porkers can't get into them. Problem solved.

Those of us that have a brain and stop stuffing our faces when our clothes no longer fit properly shouldn't have to pay more for less to subsidise those that just buy bigger clothes instead of eating less.

First alocohol, now food - R.P.
There was talk in the US when we were there in 2010 about the availability of 1000 calories for a buck. Lot of people I saw were clearly indulging !
 First alocohol, now food - Runfer D'Hills
I was in a diner in New York recently and every menu option had its calorific value next the price. Fair put me off my pud.
That's horrible - Morrisons do the same - 1000k plus in their breakfasts - has put me off
 First alocohol, now food - Zero
I once bought and ate a double baked rice pudding thing with clotted cream the pack said it was 2300 calories. It literally was to die for
 First alocohol, now food - mikeyb
>> I once bought and ate a double baked rice pudding thing with clotted cream the
>> pack said it was 2300 calories. It literally was to die for
>>

Sounds like the Waitrose clotted cream one. Mrs B chomped her way few a fair few of those when she was pregnant
Oh dear Rob, you've taken to having breakfast in Morrisons? Beginning of the end y'know. First a small Volvo and now this. Can you feel an irresistible attraction to beige trousers coming on yet? Time to get as far away from Llandudno as you can before it's too late I reckon.

:-)
 First alcohol, now food - Manatee
I had a corking fish and chips in Morrisons at Ross-on-Wye, proper jock, not pre-coated rubbish. Cooked by a bloke with a chef's hat on and everything. About £4.50. Good thing I don't live there, I'd be sending off for outsize togs.
 First alcohol, now food - Runfer D'Hills
Starting to like small Volvos too?
 First alcohol, now food - Dutchie
Volvos should be big build like tanks.Vorsprung durch Technick.
 First alcohol, now food - Manatee
Funnily enough I was admiring one of those C30s the other day but I've no idea what they're like really. And I've always been prone to beige breeks with many pockets. I've never bought any 'slacks' from the back of the Radio Times though.
 First alcohol, now food - CGNorwich
As my mother in law got older the things she would eat got more and more restricted. Just before she went into a home the only cooked meal she would only eat was fish and chips and tinned pears and custard.
 First alcohol, now food - Dutchie
When I first arrived in this town fish and chips where as common as muck.>) Now its a posh meal.Used to go to Wimpeys ten bob for egg and bacon.Lovely.
 First alcohol, now food - Dog
Hows the brother doing now Ducky?
 First alcohol, now food - AnotherJohnH
On the subject of piling on the pounds, did any of you see this:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dzfgb/hd/Horizon_20112012_The_Truth_about_Fat/

The essence of it seemed to be if a particular gene (or set of genes) is "turned on" you are doomed to pile on weight as you no longer get the messages "I'm full, stop eating", or "I'm hungry, eat something".

There were a few "identical" twins where one was fat, the other not, and the (healthily thin) presenter was trying to find out what had caused the activation of said gene(s).

Interesting stuff, but I still think there's an argument for gong back to sensible size dinner plates (10.25") with portions that fit on it, not "browsing" all the blessed time, and moving about enough.
 First alcohol, now food - teabelly
How do we know that the thin twin was the normal one? What if both were destined to be fat but the thin one had something turned off so they were thin?!

If they were saying that being under nourished in utero was the cause of some fat kids at 9 then it follows that the 'fat' twin was the smallest one during pregnancy or was under nourished and that is what switched on that gene.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 17:24
Nooo.

Watch the programme.

AFAIR the twins were _genetically_ identical, and "something" (TBA) had switched on the gene(s) in question in their early years.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 17:34
 First alcohol, now food - teabelly
I did watch the programme! I thought the same gene that made the 9 year olds fat that was caused by the mother's habits was the same one they were on about with the twins. Therefore the idea that one twin gets fat due to being the weaker one in the womb doesn't seem that unlikely to me. I don't remember them excluding that possibility. Or did they?
As I recall, which may be wrong, the end of the program featured the genetically identical at birth twins to illustrate the point that the gene can be activated - even if you are born with it off it can be switched on by some life event - and once on, you get fat: one fat twin one normal.

I believe that was the point of the programme.

>> I did watch the programme! I thought the same gene that made the 9 year
>> olds fat that was caused by the mother's habits was the same one they were
>> on about with the twins. Therefore the idea that one twin gets fat due to
>> being the weaker one in the womb doesn't seem that unlikely to me. I don't
>> remember them excluding that possibility. Or did they?
>>

Having watched it again, it seems memory (well, mine anyway) is as much to do with what's not remembered as what is.

There was a big section in the middle of the programme about fat children which I had no recall of - the point you made above - but it was saying that the changes in the child's DNA which made them pile on the pounds were due to the mother's poor diet during the pregnancy.
I understood this to be a different factor in obesity, compared to the "discordant twins" who it was guessed had started genetically identical, but one twin had "fat" gene/s switched on by stress.

There was also a final section about the brain/appetite changes post gastric bypass.

All in all, a number of factors - but the essence seemed to be if you're fat diet probably won't work, but the scientists are working on it..
 First alcohol, now food - Zero
>> As my mother in law got older the things she would eat got more and
>> more restricted. Just before she went into a home the only cooked meal she would
>> only eat was fish and chips and tinned pears and custard.

One of the privileges of getting old, the ability to throw out your dummy and demand kiddy food.
 First alcohol, now food - Iffy
...One of the privileges of getting old, the ability to throw out your dummy...

There's a few on here who have availed themselves of that privilege before their time.

First alcohol, now food - Lygonos
Deep fried Mars Bar anyone?
ou've taken to having breakfast in Morrisons?

Not yet, it was the morning after the Dragon Rally (camping in tent in a wet field in February), the three of us deserved a decent brekkie !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 21:53
I had a cracking breakfast the other day in Tesco Dundee (or was it Perth?). Anyway, 8 items for £3.50. Two slices of fried bread, 2 hash browns, 2 rashers bacon, sausage, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms and beans. Plus a mug of tea = £4. kept me going all day until I got home at 8pm! Didn't I read somewhere that a good breakfast was healthy? Somewhat better value than a Ginsters pasty in the services for £3.99!
 First alocohol, now food - CGNorwich
At one time I would have enjoyed that sort of stuff myself but I can't stand greasy fried food now. Sort of weaned myself off the stuff a few years back. It's funny but once you stop eating fried food for a while you really don't fancy it any more. Even the smell puts me off.
 First alocohol, now food - Lygonos
>> It's funny but once you stop eating fried food for a while you really don't fancy it any more. Even the smell puts me off.

Like smokers and drinkers you start to be able to smell the 'friers' too.

I presume it's caused by vapourised frying oil on hair/clothes.
 First alocohol, now food - Clk Sec
>>once you stop eating fried food for a while you really don't fancy it any more. Even the smell puts me off.<<

Fatty fried food is not for me either, although I remember the time when I used to enjoy a weekend breakfast of egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, etc, which would last me most of the day.

Went off that sort of food in the 80's, and now much prefer toast, cereal and fruit, or a lighter grilled (non-meat) breakfast.

I still love the smell of fried bacon, though.
 First alocohol, now food - Cliff Pope
Everything is going to get smaller and smaller. The traditional yardstick, a Mars bar, will end up about the size of a smartie. Still costing 50p.
 First alocohol, now food - Crankcase
Call that a Mars Bar? Now THIS is a Mars Bar.

www.pimpthatsnack.com/project/279/
 First alocohol, now food - Dutchie
Breakfast toast and marmelade cup of tea.Beacon and eggs once in a while.Stumach won't take it.Don't eat meat often the majority of food for me now is vegetarian.
On my "London" days I have to get up at 04.00. Can't eat anything at that hour. By the time I get myself into "town" it's usually 08.30.

When I'm at home I couldn't begin to fancy a cooked breakfast but in London in the early morning a great big bacon butty and a mug of sugary tea from a greasy spoon cafe really hits the spot ! ( Plus "she" can't see me eating it ! )

Off there tomorrow as it happens...

First alocohol, now food - Dutchie
Try to eat that on a ship in bad weather you need a strong stumach..:)
 First alocohol, now food - Armel Coussine
>> eat that on a ship in bad weather you need a strong stumach..:)

I once went with my Irish uncle and a friend of his in the friend's 8 ton yawl on a race in Dublin Bay. I was 18, totally useless as crew and in the end as sick as a dog. It was a bit choppy that day. But the real problem was my uncle and his friend, both rich Dublin businessmen, who jeered at me while chomping greasy salami sandwiches and smoking cigars.

A lot of people don't understand that the bourgeoisie can be pretty rough.
After all the taste-bud tantalising comments about eggs,bacon, black-pud yesterday, I shunned my obligatory bowl of Guinea-pig food this morning and much to a "certain persons" displeasure, I cooked myself a monster English. I then pottered off to the allotment and sat in the sun listening to the Crows, chickens and radio. My Tea is being cooked as we speak, and somehow I`ve to casually mention that i`m not hungry, or force it down. The consequences of either choice will be much the same, so although I thoroughly enjoyed it this morning, its back to the Muesli tomorrow! ;-(
Don't feel guilty d. Copy, print and show this to "a certain person"
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1262453/High-fat-bacon-eggs-breakfast-healthiest-start-day.html

And yes, I do realise that it's the DM (but a bit of judicious editing could deal with that!)
P
Drool!! - when She`s popped up to bed tonight, a few copies will be strategically placed in various hi-vis spots! - wonder if I will awake to the smell of Bacon in the morning!!

(if I do, it will probably mean that I`m still asleep and dreaming!!) ;-)
Reeeeeee-sult !

Always said the Daily Mail was a fine publication...

WIFE? In here now ! Something to show you !

Latest Forum Posts