Non-motoring > John Carter (Film) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 13

John Carter (Film) - R.P.
Anyone go to see it ? I saw the trailers and it reminded me that there were the very first SF books I read as a (non) spotty teenager. I often wondered when they would get translated to film. The film bombed in the cinemas but does this mean it was bad ?

Any reviews ?
 John Carter (Film) - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17447331

Mark Kermode's scathing review. Bombed is a tad of an understatement, its the biggest financial box office loss to date
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 25 Mar 12 at 22:07
The director said he was no good at "math" in school in a radio interview. But I was hoping someone here had seen it rather than some professional critic...
 John Carter (Film) - CGNorwich
If Mark Kermode thinks its rubbish I wouldn't spend my money to see it. Best radio program of the week is his film review with Simon Mayo on Friday afternoons (also on podcast). If you like SF then the Hunger Games, due for release next week I think, sound a lot more promising.

Saw a write up on that and it looks quite promising. I'm a little saddened that John Carter failed - as I said it introduced me to an enduring love of the genre in all media
 John Carter (Film) - Dog
A review from Lovefilm:

"This movie is far from perfect, but as blockbusters go John Carter has a lot more to offer than your typical corporate popcorn fodder. And it has everything a 12-year-old boy could dream of".

S'good enough for me - I've reserved it :)
 John Carter (Film) - CGNorwich
Look forward to the review
 John Carter (Film) - Meldrew
$100 million for promotion and advertising costs seems like a lot to me, who also doesn't do "math" >:)
The more rubbish the film the more you try and spend to make it sound good, till finally someone decides they are wasting money.
 John Carter (Film) - Crankcase
Like Rob I've been waiting for John Carter since reading the books as kid, so will be interesting at least. Not that I would go to the cinema to see it, but it will dribble out on Netflix or something equally cheap soon enough.

Wonder if they'll do Priest Kings of Gor too.

Gor? now I would never have considered you to be into anything Gorean.
 John Carter (Film) - Crankcase
>Gor? now I would never have considered you to be into anything Gorean.

It was a long time ago and far away, a bit like Emily's shop in Bagpuss, which is about as adult as I can cope with these days.

Although I have in the last week stumbled across Torchwood for the first time, and that is well over my limit - but I have seen seven episodes. I feel so unclean.
>> A review from Lovefilm:

Dog, slight word of wisdom here

Lovefilm make money by selling, well, err, films!
 John Carter (Film) - Dog
Course I knows that m8 doan I :)

The reviews are from peops that have seen said film:

www.lovefilm.com/film/John-Carter/154732/
Latest Forum Posts