Non-motoring > Caravan Tax. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 28

Caravan Tax. - Dutchie
This area of Yorkshire has very high unemployement this present time.Some companies are making a decent product static caravans.What does this government decide to do,slap a vat tax on the caravans being sold.Cost of caravans to go up which these companies need like a hole in the head.What is up with these politicans do they like people being out of work?
 Caravan Tax. - Cliff Pope
Governments put tax on things they are trying to discourage. Presumably they have decided the country has enough static caravans.
 Caravan Tax. - swiss tony
>> Governments put tax on things they are trying to discourage. Presumably they have decided the
>> country has enough static caravans.
>>
Is that why we have income tax? they don't want people to work?
 Caravan Tax. - Zero
you pay tax on buying a house, and a car, so it makes perfect sense to do the same for wheeled sheds.
 Caravan Tax. - Cliff Pope
>>
>> >>
>> Is that why we have income tax? they don't want people to work?
>>

That's a tax on income, not expenditure.

What they would really like is for people to become so addicted to something that they willingly go on paying the tax seemingly without limit. But probably static caravans are not addictive.
 Caravan Tax. - swiss tony
>> >> Is that why we have income tax? they don't want people to work?

>> That's a tax on income, not expenditure.

Exactly my point!!
Why bother earning it, if the more you earn the bigger percentage you lose?
 Caravan Tax. - Clk Sec
>>Presumably they have decided the country has enough static caravans.

And enough pensioners, it seems.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Tue 27 Mar 12 at 11:30
 Caravan Tax. - Pat
Hot sausage rolls and Cornish Pasties?

Pat
 Caravan Tax. - Meldrew
There is no VAT on static houses (SFAIK) so it is a stretch of the imagination to put it on static caravans but not to Park Homes (the bungalow type buildings sometimes seen on the same sites)

That said I think caravans, mobile or static, are well overpriced. A rolling chasiss, a lightweight structure, stuffed full of MFI furniture and the cheapest Homebase fittings and the price is a lot more than the sum of the parts, even allowing for a profit margin
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 27 Mar 12 at 12:14
 Caravan Tax. - Zero
>> There is no VAT on static houses (SFAIK)

Stamp duty.

Caravan Tax. - Lygonos
And how much stamp duty is paid on a house under £125k (like the vast majority of static caravans?)

20%?

I think you know the answer, Zero.
 Caravan Tax. - Dog
>> stuffed full of FI furniture and the cheapest Homebase fittings and the price is a lot more than the sum of the parts<<

Y'all obviously didn't see my Carnaby Hacienda then:

www.ukcaravansforsale.co.uk/index.php?option=com_ezrealty&Itemid=61&task=detail&id=1814
 Caravan Tax. - mikeyb
>> >> stuffed full of FI furniture and the cheapest Homebase fittings and the price is
>> a lot more than the sum of the parts<<
>>
>> Y'all obviously didn't see my Carnaby Hacienda then:
>>
>> www.ukcaravansforsale.co.uk/index.php?option=com_ezrealty&Itemid=61&task=detail&id=1814
>>

£70K for a 4 year old static? Is someone winding me up?
 Caravan Tax. - Dog
I can do you a nice Willerby for £5k cash-in-the-hand no questions asked (nudge nudge!)

www.ukcaravansforsale.co.uk/components/com_ezrealty/ezrealty/2fb1878e81a1a0cdf4be6abe01bf1f9c.jpg
 Caravan Tax. - Dutchie
Not worth it Dog I'm a free man.They are not my cup of tea but lots of people enjoy staying in a static van.One of our nice holidays was in a static caravan in Cayton Bay.Thirty years ago the lads where small.Money was tight but the drinks where cheap and plenty to do for the kids.
 Caravan Tax. - Iffy
Static pricing can be quite hard to grasp because of the premium charged for siting.

A van could have a list price of £35K, but that's for the van parked in the factory compound which is not much use to most customers.

Add the site fees and the same van would be £40K plus.

There's an example in this link:

bridlingtoncaravans.com/new-static-caravans.aspx

A 2010 BK Bluebird Grosvenor is £43K sited at Knaresborough.

A new 2012 BK Bluebird Grosvenor is £35,500, but that's for the van at the retailer's yard in Wetherby.

The site premium would usually include the first year's site rent, about £2K.

Caravan Tax. - R.P.
The question has to be asked - a static is in most cases a luxury item, in most cases it's not a primary home so why wasn't the purchase of one taxed from the outset ?
 Caravan Tax. - Armel Coussine
Millions of Americans live in non-mobile mobile homes. They are flimsy, cold, uninsulated, small and won't even stop a bullet. I can't imagine anything more ghastly except living in a rusty shipping container. They are (to a civilized adult) the absolute essence of pants.

Luxury shchmuxury.
 Caravan Tax. - Zero

>> Luxury shchmuxury.

Trailer Trash
 Caravan Tax. - R.P.
I meant it in the sense, that it's not a necessity...
 Caravan Tax. - Armel Coussine
>> it's not a necessity...

How could you be so heartless Rob? People do need a sort of box with a roof to live in. And in a country where the actual houses are made of plywood and plastic, a non-mobile mobile home may seem perfectly all right.

To them, that is. Not to a civilized adult.
 Caravan Tax. - bathtub tom
>> The question has to be asked - a static is in most cases a luxury
>> item, in most cases it's not a primary home so why wasn't the purchase of
>> one taxed from the outset ?

I know of more than one family that have sold up their bricks and mortar and moved to a 'park home' on retirement. This gives them some extra capital. Hardly a luxury purchase.
 Caravan Tax. - R.P.
That's why said "most cases". Maybe there's a case for an exemption in cases like that.
 Caravan Tax. - Dave_
>> I can do you a nice Willerby for £5k cash-in-the-hand

That looks like my ex- FIL's one at Skeggy. When I used to go for a break there I spent the entire week in the pub, it was by far the best option.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 27 Mar 12 at 21:25
 Caravan Tax. - Runfer D'Hills
I quite fancy a narrowboat. They park up on the canal behind our house most nights. Some of them are really swish. Strikes me as a convenient way to slowly meander between pubs and not have to drive home afterwards.
 Caravan Tax. - Dog
>>Strikes me as a convenient way to slowly meander between pubs and not have to drive home afterwards<<

Hehe! - we hired (twice) a 27ft Freeman cruiser on the Thames up near Oxford, the idea is that you moor up outside the watering hole and stay there for the night - great fun btw, thoroughly recommend it (as a hol)
 Caravan Tax. - Bigtee
Tax the touring vans next at least the traveling community will eventually pay some tax.!!
 Caravan Tax. - Zero
>> at least the traveling community will eventually pay some tax.!!

Dream on sunshine.
 Caravan Tax. - Robbie34
Touring 'vans have always been taxed at the going VAT rate.

AsI understand it, static 'vans used as holiday homes will be taxed at the rate of 20% from 1st October instead of the current rate of 5%. Those used as a permanent residence will be VAT free.
Latest Forum Posts