Non-motoring > Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 29

Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Falkirk Bairn
1st Class 46p goes to 60p
2nd Class 36p goes to 50p

As long as you buy stamps that say 1st / 2nd they will be valid for years - buying a stamp marked say 50p means you would need to add 10p to post a letter 1st class.

Bought £60 worth - about 1 years supply saving 28-40% - a better return than the 2-3% in a bank!
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Roger.
What does the Royal Mail not understand about the law of diminishing returns?
They remind me of Spanish traders & commercial landlords who, finding their income diminishing because there are fewer people buying their product, immediately put up the price of their product in a vain endeavour to make the same income from fewer sales!
My social secretary's immediate response was that we will not be sending ANY Christmas cards this year. Ecards or nothing will be the rule!
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - teabelly
Everything is online these days.

I'm still using the Wallace & Gromit Xmas stamps I bought ages ago. One 12 pack lasts me ages!

I wonder if it is a cynical way of bumping up their cash reserves just before year end? Announce massive stamp price rises. Everyone panic buys stamps and they get loads of money.
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Meldrew
I don't think panic is a fair description - how about well judged commercial investment decision?
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - mikeyb
Mrs B has to send her timesheet in each week so we get through a few stamps throughout the year.

Wonder what this will do for the inflation figures?

Still, guess it fattens up royal mail for the sell off
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Runfer D'Hills
Ye'll have had yer tea FB?...

:-))
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Robin O'Reliant
60p is cheap to get a letter delivered anywhere in the country by next morning (most of the time, anyway). if we don't pay the cost directly it will have to be made up out of general taxation so we bear the full cost whatever happens.
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - VxFan
If an envelope falls though my door where the stamp has missed the franking mark, I recycle and use it again.

Anyone else?
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - spamcan61
>> If an envelope falls though my door where the stamp has missed the franking mark,
>> I recycle and use it again.
>>
>> Anyone else?
>>

yep
When I was a schoolboy, I had a Saturday job in a menswear shop. For our amusement we used to leave 1p coins on the floor under the seats in the changing rooms to see who would ignore them, hand them in or indeed who would pocket it.

The ignorers and hander-inners would get free alterations if required but the pocketers would always be charged for any tailoriing.

We even had a code which we wrote on the receipt to identify them "T.A.G. alteration" ( the first word was "Tight" and the third was "Git")

:-)
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Iffy
I expect the 'A' was even tighter after the alteration.

Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - R.P.
I developed this at some point in my career - superglued a 20p coin to the carpet in the office. Laughed ? Oh Yes.
Oh there were plenty of other things which could be done to those who really irritated you or treated you like something which had crawled out from under a stone.

Such as snipping a stitch or two near the bottom of the zip fly, more or less guaranteeing that at some later date a good tug on said fastener would result in it detaching itself from the trousers.

Worked in a kitchen too for a while. Another handy hint is never complain about a meal unless you have no further intention of eating anything else on those premises that evening...

:-)
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Clk Sec
>>Worked in a kitchen too for a while. Another handy hint is never complain about a meal unless you have no further intention of eating anything else on those premises that evening...<<

Excellent advice there.

Never send anything back because it's undercooked, overcooked, too tough, or whatever else. Far better to save your complaint until you have finished your meal, and make a note never to return.
>> Worked in a kitchen too for a while. Another handy hint is never complain about
>> a meal unless you have no further intention of eating anything else on those premises
>> that evening...

IIRC, Ross Kemp (aka Grant Mitchell) (apologies, if it wasn't you Ross) once mentioned working in a kitchen in his younger days during a TV interview and a complaint came through from a customer about his food not being cooked properly. It went back to the kitchen and the meat was smeared around the kitchen staffs privates. When the customer was later asked if his meal was now ok, he said something along the lines of "fine, great taste, and now cooked properly"
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Mar 12 at 10:27
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Meldrew
Don't know about the legality but you can't steam them off a letter any more (the glue resists it) and try peeling used one of your next letter - the meanies have pierced two little oblong cutouts in the stamp so when you peel it off they stay stuck to the envelope and then your stamp has 2 holes in it = no further use!
>> the meanies have pierced two little oblong cutouts in the stamp so when you peel it
>> off they stay stuck to the envelope and then your stamp has 2 holes in it = no further use!

Only ever trashed one that couldn't be re-used out of dozens or more. Depends how you peel them off.
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Dave_
I've just used up the last book of stamps I bought when job-hunting last year. Next month's 1st/2nd class letter price rise won't really affect me as I only post a dozen items a year including Christmas cards, plus a few odd eBay sales for which the buyer pays the postage.
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - NortonES2
I keep saying to the trad side of the old but shaky marriage, that it's about time we stopped wasting money on tacky Xmas stuff. Thanks RM: a solid enough reason to reduce waste.

Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - sooty123
>> If an envelope falls though my door where the stamp has missed the franking mark,
>> I recycle and use it again.
>>
>> Anyone else?
>>

Happens so rarely to me. I can't remember the last time I got an envelope with a stamp on it, all preprinted ones now.
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Dog
When I steam a stamp off an envelope, I hold the button down on the kettle with the stamp right over the spout to make sure I get the critter off in one go.

I've burnt out a few kettles over the years doing that, but it saves a few bob on stamps.

{:)
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - idle_chatterer
1st Class stamp in HK is 11p and it WILL be delivered next day (except Sundays). It's 24p airmail to UK, I assume that this engenders the same costs in both directions so poses the question as to why the UK Royal Mail should charge quite so much ?

Dear idol chatup,

My wife sends out far too many xmas cards, and to be perfectly frank I'd rather spend the wonga on coal,

Could you oblige me next time you are in broken Briton by taking all our cards back to HK for posting back here.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Dog.
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Cliff Pope
>> to be perfectly frank
>>

Very good.
>>Very good<<

:o) - it wasn't meant that way I can assure you.
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - TheManWithNoName
When I heard the use about stamps and tanker strike I went out in a panic.
Trouble is I've now shoved £70 quids worth of stamps in me tank and covered me letters in diesel!
Help!
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - zookeeper
I havnt bought a stamp for ages, in fact its got a picture of some old women on it... cost a penny hard to tell its rather black.............
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - Dave_
>> £70 quids worth of stamps

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=9170048&cc=9114835
 Buy your Xmas card (& other) stamps NOW - idle_chatterer
Dog - It's idle as in 'lazy', I believe that the other one is a TV program enjoyed (worshipped even) by millions?

Anyhow, sorry - didn't mean to imply that Britain is broken because I don't think it is (well no more than it's ever been), mind you the cost of stamps appears to be rather high ;-)
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Wed 28 Mar 12 at 14:40
>>didn't mean to imply that Britain is broken<<

They were my sentiments idle chat, but as you say "no more than it ever has been"

If I were to post a letter from The Isles of Scilly to The Shetland Isles it would cost me 46p (rising to 60p) 1st class,
what amazing value!

:)

Latest Forum Posts