Non-motoring > Why bother altering the clocks? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 22

Why bother altering the clocks? - L'escargot
It would only be a matter of remembering when it's British Summer Time or whatever. Many years ago a colleague had a spring-powered watch which didn't keep perfect time but he never put it right. He said that all he did was check it against the 6 o'clock pips on the radio (or was it the wireless?) every morning and then remembered how much it was out.
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Meldrew
It was once observed, facetiously, that a watch which didn't work at all was more use than one which gained or lost, in that it told the correct time twice a day!
 Why bother altering the clocks? - devonite
We never physically bother changing ours, just mentally add an hour during BST, (I think this stems from reading our local tide-tables every day when I had the boat) amazingly they always seem to come right again!
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Dog
I be reckoning its damn right blimmin ridiculous, just as its beginning to get light in the SW when I get up at 6pm,
its dark again now because its really 5pm!!
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Meldrew
Why are you getting up at 6pm? Are you a vampire or some sort of night creature? >{)
 Why bother altering the clocks? - swiss tony
>> Why are you getting up at 6pm? Are you a vampire or some sort of
>> night creature? >{)
>>

I get up at 5.30am.
Some of us have to be at work for 7.00!
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Zero

>> I get up at 5.30am.
>> Some of us have to be at work for 7.00!

Wow - I remember that. Horrid.
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Runfer D'Hills
Aw shaaddup will ya !
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Cliff Pope
Why bother having BST at all? Why not just operate on GMT all the year, and let any organisations that want to adjust their opening times to suit their customers do what they like?

In a global economy your contacts might be anywhere in the world. Why does it matter whether it is dark in Caithness or anywhere else?
If your local customers want the shop open in daylight, open.
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Runfer D'Hills
I tend to agree Cliff although I'd favour permanent BST rather than GMT.

Lots of reasons including...

More people have free time at the end of the working day, so more daylight then would be good. Longer for kids to play outside etc.

People are more tired at the end of a day so more daylight at that time would be better for road safety

Many businesses work closely with European partners so having at least half the year on the same timescale would be economically favourable.
 Why bother altering the clocks? - swiss tony
>> Why bother having BST at all? Why not just operate on GMT all the year,
>> and let any organisations that want to adjust their opening times to suit their customers
>> do what they like?
>>
>> In a global economy your contacts might be anywhere in the world. Why does it
>> matter whether it is dark in Caithness or anywhere else?
>> If your local customers want the shop open in daylight, open.
>>
Exactly!
And the BS about farmers doesn't hold water either, livestock work on their bodyclocks, not what and timepieces say.
Crop farmers work when its light, or use high power lamps on their equipment when its not....
 Why bother altering the clocks? - DeeW
Institutes of all kinds find that hard - schools, hospitals and so on. I would certainly dislike intensely going back to staying on GMT - I still shudder at the time it was tried for a year. Going to school in the dark and coming home in the dark plus the additional cost of lighting in the afternoons (which must have been high!) - horrid.

I would like it to go forward an extra hour in the summer - evenings are already drawing in by August. More time for sports and play after school/work.
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Cliff Pope
>> Going to school in the dark and coming
>> home in the dark
>>
>>

Why can't schools just decide the opening hours that suit their customers? What's it got to do with Westminster? Why do they all have to open at the same time all over the country?
Why don't they have shorter days in winter and longer in summer?

Why don't they just ask the pupils/parents what times they would like the school to open?

It's a self-created problem. There are a fixed number of daylight hours in the day - just use them to best advantage, as you see fit.
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Bromptonaut
>> Why can't schools just decide the opening hours that suit their customers? What's it got
>> to do with Westminster? Why do they all have to open at the same time
>> all over the country?
>> Why don't they have shorter days in winter and longer in summer?
>>
>> Why don't they just ask the pupils/parents what times they would like the school to
>> open?

There's already quite a wide variation in school hours. PLenty people ahve kids at two or three different schools due ages and oddities of admission process. Letting then decide on a whim to start/finish way earlier/later just makes working parent's lives difficult.
 Why bother altering the clocks? - Roger.
>>
>> >> I get up at 5.30am.
>> >> Some of us have to be at work for 7.00!
>>
>>
>> Wow - I remember that. Horrid.

Yes, work IS horrid!
>>Yes, work IS horrid!<<

Not if its a labour of love, and you love your work.
>>Why are you getting up at 6pm? Are you a vampire or some sort of night creature?<<

This is Cornwall m8, and we do things drectly down here ;)
 Why bother altering the clocks? - WillDeBeest
One of Mr Medvedev's last acts before vacating the chair he'd been warming for his boss was to abolish clock changes and leave Russia on permanent summer time - GMT+4 in the Moscow region. It wasn't very popular - nor was Medvedev himself among the locals I met there - but it meant that there was still some light in the sky at the end of a working day in November.

Of course, the corollary to this is that it was still barely light at 0930, but as Humph has said, darkness in the mornings seems easier to cope with.

Those tropical and equatorial countries that don't need to change have generally settled on the seven-till-seven rather than six-till-six model because that fits better with most human activities. You can tell it's winter in Singapore when the sun sets at 1855; in summer it's light till 1905.

So I'd support not returning to GMT in our winter, but I'd still alter the clocks for the summer. In England in July it's light by 0430, which wakes us up for little benefit. Better to go to GMT+2 for the summer and shift that hour into the evening.
 Why bother altering the clocks? - zookeeper
try asking air traffic control....it all runs off the same hymn sheet ...ZULU time
 Why bother altering the clocks? - movilogo
Many large countries have single time all year round. So why we need two times?

As most of my wrist watches ran out of battery, I now need to change only one wrist watch (Citizen ecodrive - so no battery) and my other functional wrist watch has dual time - so no need to change.

In my living room, I have two clocks - one shows GMT another BST - so no need to change there either.

We should have only single time (be it either BST or GMT).
You have two clocks in one room showing different times, Movi? You're dafter than I thought!

Daylight saving has nothing to do with size and everything to do with latitude. That's why Luxembourg does it and India doesn't.

And how great a hardship is it to change a few clocks twice a year, in exchange for the vast convenience of daylight when you can use it? My heating timer, kitchen clock and one of my two watches now set themselves, as does my PVR. I doubt if setting the remaining devices takes more than five minutes a year! Compare that to one missed appointment because you looked at the wrong clock...
 Why bother altering the clocks? - movilogo
=:-o

Had 2 clocks in same room for 3 years - never missed any appointments :-)

The question is not about the hassle of changing but just why?

The actual effect lasts longer than 5 minutes though. The body clock takes a day or 2 to adjust.

>> Daylight saving has nothing to do with size and everything to do with latitude. That's why Luxembourg does it and India doesn't.

Then why Russia doesn't have it but Iran observes it?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Last edited by: movilogo on Wed 28 Mar 12 at 15:26
Iran is on a similar latitude to Greece, so gets appreciable variation - about 2.5h from earliest to latest - in sunrise and sunset times through the year. Without daylight saving the sun would rise before 0500 in the summer, which makes the change worthwhile.

Russia's situation, as I noted before, is recent and widely regarded in Russia itself as perverse. It has arguably adopted the right time for winter but the wrong time for summer, although the 4h gap in winter makes it awkward for me to arrange calls with my Russian colleagues.
Latest Forum Posts