Non-motoring > Yet another English language thread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 17

Yet another English language thread - Crankcase
Ok, hopefully only those interested are reading.

This one is for errors you've never seen before.

New to me today is:

"I am very happy with myne"

Yet another English language thread - WillDeBeest
Google brings up plenty of proper-noun hits: software, social media, tourism and Scandinavian art, and that's just the first page. So this could be a simple and familiar failure to capitalize.
};---)
>> So this could be a simple and familiar failure to capitalize.

No, he was talking about his car. Not seen that variant before. Perhaps it's actually better - has a certain logicality to it.
 Yet another English language thread - crocks
...especially if his car was a Mini. :-)
 Yet another English language thread - Dog
I asked Homebase a question recently, this is the reply I received yesterday:

"Dear Mr Canis,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding paint remover.

I order for me to held your further, I would you to provide me with both of the product numbers and then I will be happy to compare the products for you".

Regards,

Elizabeth Dermody
Homebase E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

Yet another English language thread - R.P.
There were two hideous apostrophe errors on consecutive days in the Trinity Mirror owned local rag that we get.

One of them had the cheek to be in an article (paper edition) about mis-spelling of some signage in a car-park

www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/03/29/conwy-county-council-s-car-park-spelling-gaffes-55578-30648476/
 Yet another English language thread - TeeCee
For amusing cockup location, I recall seeing a roundup of pieces from the Grauniad's corrections/errata column, in which they apologise for and correct some of the more high profile of their legendary spelling and grammatical pig's ears.

One of them was an apology for a right howler in an earlier piece in the, er, corrections column......
 Yet another English language thread - L'escargot
>> There were two hideous apostrophe errors on consecutive days in the Trinity Mirror owned local
>> rag that we get.
>>
>>
>> One of them had the cheek to be in an article (paper edition) about mis-spelling
>> of some signage in a car-park
>>
>> www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/03/29/conwy-county-council-s-car-park-spelling-gaffes-55578-30648476/
>>

Where is the apostrophe errors in that article? I can't see it.
 Yet another English language thread - R.P.
They were in the paper versions.
 Yet another English language thread - John H
You may want to correct your typo in the subject header here:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10116&v=f

Yet another English language thread - Ted

Watching Mastermind tonight I heard Mr Humphries say ' In the event of a draw, the one with the fewer passes wins '

Both SWM and I commented that, by putting the ' the ' in, it should have read ' ...the fewest passes '.

I did quite well for once...Railways of Britain in the 20th century.

A former colleague in Yorkshire posted a little ' sign ' on Facebook.

' Nobodys perfect
but if you're a Yorkshireman
your pretty close '

Reluctantly, I felt the need to mention, with two mistakes in11 words, the writer wasn't that close. Rounded off with a ' tongue-pull ' smily.......Yorkies !!

Ted
Lordy. Played that "you draw something and a random stranger guesses what it is" game on the phone last night (Draw Something, made the makers about 80 million dollars in a week apparently, but anyway).

So my opponent, who by the law of averages was probably a Young Person, drew me a tiny person with wings on their back. Couldn't work out what it was meant to be from the letters I had. It turned out to be "Ferry".

I then returned a drawing of a queen, and they clearly got very frustrated as they kept trying to answer it as "qween", and getting it rejected.

Maybe there's some value in it after all - they won't win if they can't spell!

The business side is interesting actually -

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/technology/draw-something-changes-the-game-quickly-for-omgpop.html?_r=1
 Yet another English language thread - L'escargot
>> Rounded off with a ' tongue-pull ' smily ...........

What's a smily?
:-)
 Yet another English language thread - Manatee
I love these threads!

>> Watching Mastermind tonight I heard Mr Humphries say ' In the event of a draw,
>> the one with the fewer passes wins '
>>
>> Both SWM and I commented that, by putting the ' the ' in, it should
>> have read ' ...the fewest passes '.

I guess fewer would have been correct if there was a tie between two contestants, fewest had there been three of four tied. But as he didn't know at the time, he had to mix them up!

>> ' Nobodys perfect
>> but if you're a Yorkshireman
>> your pretty close '

Ted, as a Tyke I am obliged to ask if you have considered that it might be you, a mere Manc, who is out of step here ;-)

On business drivelspeak, somebody said to me the other day that he would "reach out to Fiona and ask her to look at the document".

I was just getting over that when I got a cold call from a recruitment agency trying to find a job for a consultant. I said I couldn't help (if I could bestow £100k a year jobs borrowing people's watches and telling them what time is, I'd give one to myself). Her response was "Sorry to have bothered you. Could you give me the name of the right person to reach out to?".

No, I couldn't.
 Yet another English language thread - Ted

Oh dear, Manny....I hadn't realised you were a Tyke. I'm not sure the shops sell a ' sympathy ' card for that. :-(

I'm only a Mancunian by residence....I'm up there with the cream of this site in coming from Devon.

Ted
 Yet another English language thread - Manatee
Ted, I apologise unreservedly for affiliating you with the red rose.
 Yet another English language thread - henry k
An example from a well known publication.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/help/storytips

Typos, gobbledyspeak, links? Oh dear!
 Yet another English language thread - Dulwich Estate
Only well known to the few hundred that live in Australia though.
Latest Forum Posts