Non-motoring > Damaged rental DVDs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

Damaged rental DVDs - Ambo
Does anyone else get damaged rental DVDs delivered? I use Lovefilm and have received 5 damaged disks during the past three months. Two were cracked from the spindle holes, one from the outer edge, one right across and one was badly scratched. Cracking must mean heavy abuse, perhaps deliberate. I always mark them as damaged on return and they will always suppy another copy or substitute another disk but, in spite of their claims, I don't think they inspect returned disks routinely as I am sure one of them came back a second time.

Amazon (with purchases) content themselves with cracking the cases. Books usually arrive with a dog-eared corner.
 Damaged rental DVDs - Dog
I receive 3 Blu-rays a month from Lovefilm and every one I've had (so far) has been in as-new condition.
 Damaged rental DVDs - Dave_
Everything I've received from Amazon has been in perfect order even when the outer packaging has suffered greatly. I think they test their packing to ensure it can do the job of protecting the goods, but only just.

Having seen the inside of a few parcel post warehouses, I'm not surprised your DVDs are getting damaged passing through the delivery system. Careful they are not, everything is often literally thrown into a cage and then kicked around for a day.

This knowledge influences how well I wrap items sold on fleabay (i.e. very).
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 31 Mar 12 at 20:52
 Damaged rental DVDs - WillDeBeest
My experience with Lovefilm has improved markedly since we moved to renting mostly Blu-ray titles three years ago. Before that, things were so bad that when we got a film that played right through without sticking or skipping (Walk the Line as I recall), I sent it back with a Brillo pad, reasoning that the quality control department must have run out.

Can't remember now when we last had a duff one.
The difference then is probably the age of the dsks, since I rely on DVD other than Blu-Ray, which I can't play.
 Damaged rental DVDs - teabelly
Lovefilm were ok to begin with but after a succession of duff discs I ditched them. I had the same dvd with the same fault. They swore they were different copies but it seemed far too coincidental. They blamed my dvd player which curiously plays all my dvds perfectly without skipping. I've not had any with physical damage to that extent on them. I'd complain to the PO and ask them what they're doing.

I ran out of things I wanted to watch rapidly anyway.

I've had a few cds arrive with the centre disc holder broken. I just use old cdr cases to replace if they're badly mangled.
Can anyone say what their experience is with other renters please? I see Tesco is one of the outfits in the business.
 Damaged rental DVDs - BiggerBadderDave
"Can anyone say what their experience is with other renters please?"

No experience with rent boys at all, ask Iffy.
 Damaged rental DVDs - rtj70
I used Tesco DVD rentals (which is Lovefilm) a few years ago. Got hundreds of disks and during the time only had about 2 disks with scratches that would not play. Things may have changed now.

Some would not play initially but had fingerprints on them and when cleaned worked fine.
 Damaged rental DVDs - CGNorwich
"Some would not play initially but had fingerprints on them and when cleaned worked fine."

Must have rented over 200 discs from LoveFilm over the years and only ever had one DVD that was seriously scratched. Essential to clean with a soft cloth them before using as LoveFilm suggest.
Latest Forum Posts