Non-motoring > Digital switch over. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 23

Digital switch over. - Old Navy
Why has the DSO only arrived in the national papers now that London is involved? Don't they realise that the real world has been quietly doing the switch for three years?
 Digital switch over. - Zero
When are you going to learn that people in the sticks simply dont matter. Now shut up and get back in your cave.
:-P

Do you want me to bring you a crate of bottled clean fresh un-recycled water the next time I come down there ?:-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 5 Apr 12 at 15:32
 Digital switch over. - R.P.
Quite right - switched over nearly two years ago around here !
 Digital switch over. - Dave_
Last March for us.

They're all a-quiver about it on the radio today too, same reason.
 Digital switch over. - Iffy
Switchover this September at Iffy Towers and the caravan.

The first of what I expect to be several 'help packs' arrived in the post earlier this week.

Digital switch over. - Meldrew
All sorted yesterday, in the Reading area and the Crystal Palace transmitter!
>> All sorted yesterday, in the Reading area and the Crystal Palace transmitter!

No its not sorted, you have another switch on the 18th April!
Beat me to it, I was about to say "Until phase two of the switch". :-)
 Digital switch over. - Duncan
I have lost BBC2 on analogue. I may write to someone.
 Digital switch over. - CGNorwich
Was surprised to find that those served by the Eastbourne transmitter don't have any freeview at all until May when the switchover occurs. Understand there is no spare wavelength.
Thanks! I thought it was one or the other - not both!
 Digital switch over. - Focusless
>> >> All sorted yesterday, in the Reading area and the Crystal Palace transmitter!
>>
>> No its not sorted, you have another switch on the 18th April!

Well fingers crossed but our Digihome PVR box, which has been carp for a month or 2, seems to be behaving itself at the moment.
NOW sorted in the Crystal Palace transmitter coverage area! Signal strength seems better and picture is good, both on a set with built in Freeview and an older one using a digibox.
 Digital switch over. - spamcan61
The three Vestel T825s here at spamcan towers seem to be coping with the post DSO world OK - well fair enough we only finished DSO about 12 hours ago. Unplugging 'em for a few minutes once a month seems to keep bugs at bay.
 Digital switch over. - John H
>> Why has the DSO only arrived in the national papers now that London is involved? Don't they realise that the real world has been quietly doing the switch for three years? >>

Paraphrasing AliG, Is it coz media is Londoncentric?

Because "millions" of people have been affected, unlike your "thousands" when the switchover happened oop-North. (The same reasoning behind train and plane and coach crashes getting in to the papers, but the more frequent car crashes hardly ever getting a mention).

Yesterday, only BBC2 terrestrial got switched off. The "big one" is on 18 April when the remaining four channels get taken down. That will be accompanied by a laser show.
londonist.com/2012/04/crystal-palace-light-show-to-mark-digital-tv-switchover.php

Despite all the advertising, the message did not get through to many people and even amongst those who understood that some change was due to happen, there were some who did not understand how it would affect them.

I tested my freeviewHD set using an indoor aerial; before 4 April it would not pick up HD channels and Ch5 SD (although worked fine using the outdoor simple log-periodic aerial). Now the even indoor aerial picks those channels up, showing a signal strength of 34% and signal quality of 56%. I will test again after 18 April.
We kept getting pop-up messages on our box warning about retuning on the specific days. You had to press a button to remove them so were difficult to miss.

I guess older boxes didn't do that.
 Digital switch over. - John H
>> I guess older boxes didn't do that. >>

There are still some people around who have not got Sky, or Cable, or a Freeview STB, and are still using their analogue TVs!

On 18 April, they will discover that the loss of BBC2 was not a temporary blip, and they will need to join the digital age if they want to get their TV working again.

p.s. I retuned my set yesterday and found that some digital channels BBC1, BBC2 and a few others continued to be missing even after the retune. They only came back after I did a full "factory reset".

>> >> I guess older boxes didn't do that. >>
>>
>> There are still some people around who have not got Sky, or Cable, or a
>> Freeview STB, and are still using their analogue TVs!

Good point :)
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 5 Apr 12 at 17:52
 Digital switch over. - Dave_

>> >> There are still some people around who have not got Sky, or Cable, or a Freeview STB,
>> >> and are still using their analogue TVs!

My Freeview box packed up the day after our 2nd retuning date. (It was cheap, nasty and old). I had to resort to buying one "out of area" as no-one locally had any sub-£50 ones left in stock.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 5 Apr 12 at 18:09
>> >> >> I guess older boxes didn't do that. >>
>> >>
>> >> There are still some people around who have not got Sky, or Cable, or
>> a
>> >> Freeview STB, and are still using their analogue TVs!
>>
>> Good point :)

As per my other thread, I was down the dump today, and they are drowning in a sea of Analogue TVs with more arriving by the car load. The local comet is besieged with people trying to buy the demo sets.... anything will do

Muppets.
 Digital switch over. - spamcan61
>> >> >> >> I guess older boxes didn't do that. >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >> There are still some people around who have not got Sky, or Cable,
>> or
>> >> a
>> >> >> Freeview STB, and are still using their analogue TVs!
>> >>
>> >> Good point :)
>>
>> As per my other thread, I was down the dump today, and they are drowning
>> in a sea of Analogue TVs with more arriving by the car load. The local
>> comet is besieged with people trying to buy the demo sets.... anything will do
>>
>> Muppets.
>>

Somewhat depressing when one thinks of the money spent on TV/Radio/leaflets/letters/roadshows about the switchover. Presumably these are the same induhviduals that clogged up every petrol station on the planet last week.
At least we can see why the left London till last for the DSO. Even with three years notice that it is going to happen they can't figure it out. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 5 Apr 12 at 22:06
 Digital switch over. - CGNorwich
At least we can see why the left London till last for the DSO.

Nice theory but they didn't - Northern Ireland are last in October, just after the North East of England in September
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 5 Apr 12 at 22:31
Latest Forum Posts