Non-motoring > Computer vs Phone keypad Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 4

Computer vs Phone keypad - movilogo
Why the numeric keypad in computer is designed in a reverse way compared to mobile phone keypads?
 Computer vs Phone keypad - Zero
Its a quirk of how standards developed. The PC numeric keypad is merely an extension of the mechanical (and now most electronic) calculator keypad.

The DTMF phone keypad however was developed to a different standard out of the old pulse rotary dial, where 1 was also ABC, 2 DEF.

SO if you used the calculator layout, ABC would be at the bottom, and would confuse most people.

However, the throw oil on the fire, not all country specific keyboards follow the calculator pattern for the numeric pad.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Apr 12 at 10:39
 Computer vs Phone keypad - WillDeBeest
I think mechanical calculators used a toothed rod under each digit key, with 7, 8, 9 requiring more teeth than 1, 2, 3. The machine was wedge-profiled to angle the keys towards the user, so there was more room for the longer rods at the top of the keyboard, hence the 'calculator' layout. Keeping this counter-intuitive layout when calculators went electronic is an early example of 'backwards compatibility'.
 Computer vs Phone keypad - hjd
When you are using the calculator type device to log into internet banking, and using your computer's numeric keypad to enter the codes, it's easy to get confused as they are opposite ways round. I usually don't have to look when I enter numbers but do need to concentrate in that scenario.
 Computer vs Phone keypad - VxFan
>> When you are using the calculator type device to log into internet banking, and using
>> your computer's numeric keypad to enter the codes, it's easy to get confused

Is it? Can't say it's ever bothered me.
Latest Forum Posts