Non-motoring > Holiday in Cinque Terre Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 3

Holiday in Cinque Terre - FocalPoint
We're planning to visit the Cinque Terre in NE Italy in September.

Our idea is to do a leisurely drive down through France (which we have done many times before), spend time in Provence and then move east along the Med coast to Liguria. This is totally new territory for us.

The information so far suggests that taking a car right into the Cinque Terre might not be worthwhile - mountainous terrain, narrow roads and general lack of space. Mind you, we had a car for our week on the Amalfi Coast a few years ago, which was certainly a challenge, but proved very useful. I can cope with narrow roads; I'm thinking more of parking problems once we're there.

One piece of advice I have seen is to leave the car in La Spezia and use the train, which links all five towns of the Cinque Terre. However, I'm not too happy at leaving the car unattended for maybe a week.

Return would probably be via Turin. Or maybe we'll reverse the whole thing and return via Provence.

Any comments would be appreciated, particularly if you have visited the Cinque Terre.
 Holiday in Cinque Terre - pete4344
I walked the Cinque Terre walk last Monday whilst stuck in Italy. Expect crowds around the area - it is very popular.

You are right about the parking being very limited - if you are using accommodation in the area, doesn't that have its own parking? We travelled down for the day from north of La Spezia, using the train. There are regular trains from La Spezia stopping at all the 5 stations, and we found this the best way to get around. The distances between La Spezia and the villages are very short, taking only 10 minutes or so.

To get the most out of the area a walk the coast path between some, or all of the villages is well worthwhile, but you will need a permit costing about 5 euros each (obtainable at the various checkpoints on the path). The whole walk takes about 3 - 4 hours, but some of the villages are only half an hour apart.

Whether you walk or not, the villages are well worth visiting and the coast is spectacular.
 Holiday in Cinque Terre - Duncan
>> >> To get the most out of the area a walk the coast path between some
>> or all of the villages is well worthwhile but you will need a permit costing
>> about 5 euros each (obtainable at the various checkpoints on the path).
>>

I have been to the Cinque Terre several times, but not for three or four years.

Do they charge for all the walks between all the villages now? Last time I was there, the charge was only for the southernmost section the "Via d'Amore" - Lovers Way - I have forgotten the names of the villages.

It is incredibly pretty, picture postcard stuff.
 Holiday in Cinque Terre - pete4344
We did the section with the 4 eastern villages (the section from Monterosso was closed for maintenance) and there were about 3 manned checkpoints. Even midweek in April the number of people was ridiculous.
Latest Forum Posts