Non-motoring > EHIC Renewal On-Line - Spoof Websites Computing Issues
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 5

EHIC Renewal On-Line - Spoof Websites - Meldrew
A not very computer savvy friend went to renew his EHIC on line and complained to me that he thought it was free but he was being asked to pay £15.

I went on line and Googled for EHIC renewal and found this

www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ehic+renewal

The first two sites do say, very faintly, that they are ads but the URLs look like official sites having suffixes .org and .org.uk which might be enough to fool the gullible. Rather like the sites that have sprung up to re-claiim PPI on your behalf, for a fee, when you can do it yourself for nothing.

I appreciate that not many of us would be taken in but thought it worth mentioning. (Mods please remove if thought unnecessary)
 EHIC Renewal On-Line - Spoof Websites - R.P.
Totally agree - My friend who crashed in France had an EHIC luckily otherwise his subsequent hospitalization would have cost him a pretty Euro.....
 EHIC Renewal On-Line - Spoof Websites - Focusless
My OAP parents just got back from a cruise down the Danube. Mum had to make an unscheduled visit to 2 Serbian hospitals, but Serbia isn't in the EU. Treatment was good apparently but it all had to be paid for up front - Dad ended up making lots of trips to the nearest ATM.

(Hopefully they should be getting it back from their holiday insurance.)
 EHIC Renewal On-Line - Spoof Websites - Old Navy
>> My OAP parents just got back from a cruise down the Danube. Mum had to
>> make an unscheduled visit to 2 Serbian hospitals, but Serbia isn't in the EU. Treatment
>> was good apparently but it all had to be paid for up front - Dad
>> ended up making lots of trips to the nearest ATM.
>>

Worth remembering the next time people start whinging about taxation in the UK. Those who have not lived abroad have no idea what an asset they have in the NHS.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 10 Apr 12 at 17:46
 EHIC Renewal On-Line - Spoof Websites - smokie
IIRC the same scam applies to the ESTA card, required for entry to the US for leisure. Although they have now put a charge on it ($15 rings a bell) there are sites which charge considerably more for the same service.
 EHIC Renewal On-Line - Spoof Websites - Meldrew
Quite true Smokie - I just checked ESTA applications and like EHIC, the first couple are intermediaries charging a fee. They do admit this fairly clearly but it is a hefty mark up, about £30

"Our online application is fully secure and no sign up is required.
If for any reason your application is unsuccessful we will re-apply FREE of charge.
Your ESTA will be valid for 2 years with multiple entry to the USA.
USA ESTA VISA will charge a service fee of £39.99 which includes the $14 US Government Fee".

Latest Forum Posts