Non-motoring > WC inlet valve question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 5

WC inlet valve question - L'escargot
I recenly bought a new toilet ~ Armitage Shanks "Sandringham", close coupled, lever operated siphon flush. I decided to check the inlet valve before getting a plumber to install the toilet. The inlet valve has a float which slides up and down one side of the inlet tube and operates a little lever at the top. When I blew into the inlet and moved the little lever to the closed position and pressed on the lever the valve didn't seal. The retailer said this is normal, and that when installed it's the water pressure that seals the valve when the float gets to the top. This doesn't seem logical to me. What do you think?
 WC inlet valve question - bathtub tom
Torbeck type valve, possibly.
 WC inlet valve question - Zero
The retailer said this is normal, and that when installed
>> it's the water pressure that seals the valve when the float gets to the top.
>> This doesn't seem logical to me. What do you think?

Yup, thats the way it works, the water pressure forces the flexible rubber valve closed.
 WC inlet valve question - R.P.
That's what's installed in the toilets here - the one in the en-suite had stuck when we moved in but resolved itself after a couple of days use.
 WC inlet valve question - Focusless
Don't know if it's exactly the same as the OP's but one of our loos also has a float which slides up and down - usually. Very occasionally it gets stuck halfway up, which you only tend to notice when you realise the main water tank is still refilling an hour after flushing the loo. Not great when you're on a meter...
 WC inlet valve question - R.P.
Sounds like the problem we had that...contractor was still paying for the water at that point..
Latest Forum Posts