Non-motoring > Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 17

Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Meldrew
" The NHS 'barmy' rulebook has expanded its attention to physiotherapists by banning physiotherapists from touching patients, despite it being a hands-on job role.

The revised guidebook, issued in a clinic in Rushcliffe, Notts, asks physiotherapists to recommend that patients look up treatments on the Internet and undertake relevant exercises at home instead of having physical treatment."

What bothers me is that, not only are people creating these regulations, they are being allowed to breed among us.
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Old Navy
A manager is desperate to save money, If someone is referred for physiotherapy you just give them a leaflet telling them to look it up online and treat yourself. No physioterrorist required so sack them all, loads of budget left for management payrise. :-)
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Focusless
Not sure if this is where Meldrew got the story from but here's the Mail's report:
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2127669/Physiotherapists-allowed-touch-patients-barmy-NHS-plan.html
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 11 Apr 12 at 19:40
No - mine is substantially the same facts but sourced from something so much tackier than the DM that I am ashamed to name it!
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Zero
Melders! Not the Sensational Souraway Sun!
No Zero, I cannot tell you! There is no end to my shame!
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Dutchie
I wonder if it will effect a gynecologist doing his or her job.Or the doctor checking a patient.
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - DeeW
I'd love to see how this works with babies and children - youngest had 3+ hours of physio daily for many years. It takes several demonstrations on baby before family get it absolutely right - and getting it wrong ain't a good idea.....
Some exercises need to be adapted for the specific body, or enabled in some way - all need hands on to see what is or is not working.
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Cliff Pope
Perhaps psychotherapists should not be allowed to touch patients' minds either.
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Crankcase
Nowhere in that story does it say why. Are we all to assume that it's to do with sexual predators? And if so, shouldn't physiotherapists be outraged at the implicit accusation that none of them can be trusted?

It's a bit like the "terrorist" threat - the outside chance that something may happen becomes such a bogeyman that normal service is suspended, then withdrawn, then seems abnormal, and you end up with, frankly, a poorer society.

That's no way to progress.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 12 Apr 12 at 09:37
Isn't it just cost-cutting?
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Crankcase
If it is then cut the paragraph above to the point where it says "...poorer society. That's no way to progress".

From the DM report (see above):

A spokesman for Principia said that the change in service had not been a cost-cutting measure, and that costs were broadly the same as before.

'This includes exercises to alleviate and manage their symptoms. This service enables all patients to take control of their condition and get better quicker.'

Purely for the good of the patient :)
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - John H
>> Perhaps psychotherapists should not be allowed to touch patients' minds either.
>>

The DM article says:
"Principia clinical commissioning group, which plans and buys healthcare services in Rushcliffe, offered one assessment and up to four treatments for physiotherapy patients.
This includes patients who are suffering from soft tissue injuries and pain in their back, neck or joints.
But, following a review of services, it has changed from a treatment service to an advice and guidance service.."

Perhaps Principia has found some truth along the lines of Simon Singh and Chiropractors:
"www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2012/feb/22/simon-singh-british-chiropractic-association"

Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Ambo
The hands-off rule does not seem to have got through to the physio who gave me a mauling a week ago.
Despite the headlines it only applies to Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire (at the moment).
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 12 Apr 12 at 10:56
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - Dutchie
You mean psycho..;)
 Latest Manifestation of Institutional Stupidity! - zookeeper
FUBAR society...
Latest Forum Posts