Non-motoring > Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 11

Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please - WillDeBeest
We're going to France in June for the first time in a while. Timings dictate that we travel out by Eurotunnel, which is an absolute first for us. It also puts us in a corner of France we don't really know, so I'd be glad of some advice from the old Tunnel hands who do.

We are due off the shuttle about 2030 local time on a Friday evening, so we'd prefer not to have more than 30 min to drive before we stop for the night. We have nearly 500 miles southwest to drive on Saturday, so we'd like our first move to be in that direction too.

So, where would you go? Not necessarily a specific hotel, but a town along the way that's easy to get to with a reasonable selection of places to eat. Fortunately, family-friendly is a given in France.

We didn't fancy doing the long drive twice, so we're coming home on the slow ferry from St Malo. Looking forward to a last night on the seafront there.

Much obliged.
}:---)
 Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please - Meldrew
There is a Mercure hotel in the middle of Calais. Link which may not work!!

www.mercure.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml

There is also a chain called Kyriad which is a about lie our Trarvel lodge and Premier Inns
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 12 Apr 12 at 07:55
 Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please - Pat
www.hicoquelles.com/EN/index.php

2 minutes from Eurotunnel at Coquelles and always reliable for a quick overnight stop.

Pat
 Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please - sherlock47
tinyurl.com/ceh7l7c

Used it a couple of times -it used to be in the middle of the country until they built a hypermarket next door! But would allow you to buy cheap fuel and food the next morning.

Absolutely ideal assuming you are travelling via Rouen route. 20 mins from Eurotunnel.
" is a bit like" typo corrected!
 Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please - smokie
Stayed in St Omer twice, quite a pleasant place, not too far from the port and not far off route. Nice, cos it's slightly off the cross channel booze cruisers pathway. Boulogne is also nice but doesn't really get you on your way.
 Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please - Bromptonaut
We've used BB hotels numerous times www.hotel-bb.com/

Comfortable beds and unusually for french chains family rooms sleeping four are offered. Eat all you can buffet breakfast from 06:30 facilitates a fast gettaway.

The site at Coquelles is very convenient for the tunnel but a bit lacking in eateries. There is another chain hotel nearby with a restaurant but sometimes full up with coach parteis. Otherwise the Buffalo Grill round the corner is a much better take on fast food than anything in the UK. The Cite d'Europe and its food court are a short drive away.

Boulogne is a bit further down the A-route. Again Buffalo Grill nearby and eateries at the Cote d'Opal Auchan site. Boulogne town with a massive choice of restaurants is five minutes drive or twenty minutes walk.
 Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please - Roger.
+1 for the BB group.
Rather like a somewhat upmarket Formule1, but the rooms are better with en-suite facilities.
Useful suggestions - thank you. BB is a new name to me; we've stayed in plenty of Kyriads, Campaniles and even the odd (once very odd) Mercure or Novotel, but not that.

Do the BB rooms have external entrances, or is it from an internal corridor - or does it vary? I ask because the Beestlings are getting a bit big to share a family room with us, but I know Mrs B will take a lot of persuading to give them a separate room.

I've convened a meeting of the escape committee for twenty hundred hours tonight, so I'll let you know how we get on.
 Overnight stop near Calais: recommendation please - Bromptonaut
>> Do the BB rooms have external entrances, or is it from an internal corridor -
>> or does it vary? I ask because the Beestlings are getting a bit big to
>> share a family room with us, but I know Mrs B will take a lot
>> of persuading to give them a separate room.

Calais Coquelles and Boulogne both have external corridor similar to deck access flats. There is another more modern site at Calais St Pierrewhich may be different. IIRC the website includes rough floorplans of the rooms.

The family rooms are good even for four adults. They comprise either two singles or a double bed in the main floor space with two further singles on a 'mezzanine' floor over the bathroom acessed by a narrow and steepish staircase. My two were 18 & 16 last time we used one last year. Bathroom provides enough cover for shy teens to change/dress.

No scope for parental hanky panky though!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 12 Apr 12 at 16:41
Cheap petrol/diesel at an unmanned station belonging to Auchan in the Coqulles area but NOT at the huge supermarket building, if you finish up in that area.

IF this link works it shows you a BB and a Formule1 in Coquelles

tinyurl.com/7bwg5sn
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 12 Apr 12 at 17:09
No scope for parental hanky panky though!

Er, sorry? No, it's gone. No idea.
Latest Forum Posts