Non-motoring > Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 18

Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - VxFan
Googling for the answer, I either buy special energy saving lightbulbs at an extortionate price, or I replace the dimmer switch for one that works with energy saving lightbulbs.

However my search failed to find out if I still have to use the pricey energy saving bulbs with the replacement dimmer switch or I can get away with using the free energy saving bulbs given out by British Gas, or the '5 for a £1' ones.

Does anyone know?

I've got 20 or more of these free / cheap energy saving bulbs kicking about but can only use them in a couple of rooms in the house. It's either that or I replace the dimmer switches for standard on / off switches.
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - smokie
5 for a quid? You were done. Think I got 7 for 50p at Tesco some time back.

I think the cheapies are binary, either on or off. They always remind me of fluorescent tubes. I had one on a dimmer, it wouldn't dim and gave up very prematurely.

Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - crocks
>>They always remind me of fluorescent tubes.

They are fluorescent tubes. Also known as CFLs - Compact Fluorescent Lights.
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Zero
and they burn out the dimmer switch if you try apparently.

dimmer switches are so 80s anyway dahling.
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - henry k
>>Dimming energy saving lightbulbs.
>>
If they are any dimmer a torch will be required :-((
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - RattleandSmoke
CFLs have starters which only operate on one voltage. Unlike a fillament where if you reduce the voltage the glow dims with modern energy saving lights you can't dim them.

LED bulbs I assume would be much easier to dim but as others said it is 1980s. I have replaced most of our dimmers with standard rockers and had to fit gromits and an earth to the back plate while I was at it (yep none of them were earthed and the cables went through the metal back plate without any protection).
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Fenlander
Who would want an energy saving bulb any dimmer??
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - VxFan
Not a good idea then?

It's just that sometimes people in the household don't want the lights on full brightness, and for security reasons we occasionally leave a light on when we're out, but only want it as a backlight, not blazing away.

The dimmer switches I found said that they're suitable for energy saving bulbs, but doesn't mention whether that's the cheap ones or the expensive Megaman type ones.

Also some comments about the bulbs being dimmer. I thought the 11 watt ones were supposed to be the equivalent of 60 watt standard bulbs?
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Zero
after about 15 minutes they might get to seem like 45 watt bulbs

the 11 watts equivalent to 60 watts is done by the same people who publish official urban MPG.
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - swiss tony
I hate the damn things.... a 100 watt equivalent seems more like a 5w!
I have tried them, but the longest I have had one last in this house was a month before it blew!
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - CGNorwich
An 11w energy saving lamp is only 58% as effective as a 60w incandescent. The manufacturers overstated their effectiveness (I wonder why?)

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/6110547/Energy-saving-light-bulbs-offer-dim-future.html

You can get energy saving lamps capable of being dimmed, the only drawback being that they are 10 times as expensive as incandescent bulbs. (£7 as against 70p)

Incandescent are being phased out as follows so you might want to to stock up.

September 2009: All frosted (pearl) Filament-Lamps and clear Filament-Lamps = / > 100W
September 2010: clear Filament-Lamps > 75W
September 2011: clear Filament-Lamps > 60W
September 2012: clear Filament-Lamps > 25W
September 2016: only Filament-Lamps with Energy Efficiency Class A and B
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Pat
I have a stock of old 150w light bulbs bought from the internet a couple of years ago:)

I refuse to spend the long dark days of winter not being able to read just to save the planet.

If we carry on as we are we'll all be back to using the old Tilley or Primus lamps that got brighter the more they were pumped up.

Pat
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Clk Sec
>>I thought the 11 watt ones were supposed to be the equivalent of 60 watt standard bulbs?

I recently bought some 12w Philips bulbs which, at the moment, seem to be giving about the same light as a standard 60w. Also, as they are dimensionally smaller than the 5 (or7) for £1 variety, they are suitable for use with table lamps.

Clk Sec
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Fenlander
I don't know why but many standard lightbulbs (and the halogen G9 type) only seem to last a few months here so we have 90% gone over to energy saving. Seem to need the highest claimed power in every one but even then it's never a bright light to work under.

I've given up on dimmers and taken all bar one (feeding 6x60w candle shape bulbs) out.
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Avant
I managed to bring back 10 good old-fashioned 100w bulbs from holiday in South Africa, for the lights in places (3 or 4 in the house) where we need to read without eye strain. Hopefully they'll see us through till we go there again - and that SA and other countries will still allow 100w bulbs to be sold.
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - CGNorwich
No need to go to South Africa, cans still buy 100 w incandescents on line

e.g.

www.lampsavers.co.uk/products/standard-gls-light-bulbs/standard-pearl-bulbs/100w-bc-240v-pearl/
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Pat
Thanks CG, that's where I got my 150w ones from and I thought they would be out of them by now but I see they still have some.

Off to order another 20 bulbs!

Pat
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - henry k
Both the shops in out local parade that sell electrical items have 100w bulbs on sale.
The "electrical" shop is advertising them and even has 200W bulbs ( never seen those before) for sale.
 Dimming energy saving lightbulbs. - Cliff Pope
After a few weeks' use they dim anyway.
Latest Forum Posts