Non-motoring > Lost it This Morning Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 71

Lost it This Morning - Fullchat
Busy at the moment at Fullchat Towers including hospital visiting for mother.

Anyway phone rings this morning.

"Is Mrs Hallchat available?" (note the name was wrong)

"No I'm afraid not can I help?"

"Are you Mr Hallchat?"

"Yes"

"Do you have responsibility for financial matters?"

"Yes" ( well I like to think so and I think I know where this is going)

"Have you taken out any paym..................."

That was it!! I've had several of these calls and courteously informed the that I haven't but this one broke the camels back

"I'm ****** sick of these calls I don't want continually pestering. I haven't had any PPI"

"Now I don't think there is a need to swear."

"Don't you now go away and multiply." Slams phone down.

Is it just me or are these outfits really scraping the barrel with this one? How dare they invade my privacy and then take me to task for swearing. And I know I should have put them on hold whilst I answered the door etc. What really galls me is the selling of my information for these **** to pester me.

There that's better must go and lie down.
I'm going to have to sort out this TPS lark.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 20:15
 Lost it This Morning - Pat
They call at least 3 times some days Fullchat and get me just the same.

I'm on the TPS list too but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

When I informed the last one about TPS, his argument was that it didn't apply to them as they wasn't selling anything.

There followed an argument about them selling a service....

Homefront is another one who keep ringing at the moment too.

Pat
 Lost it This Morning - Clk Sec
We have our 'phone loaded with the numbers (100, I think) of the people and organisations that are most likely to call us, and anyone else who calls has to leave a message on the answerphone.

It works very well for us.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 05:47
 Lost it This Morning - Meldrew
I am on TPS and get no "cold calls". However, if I did I would ask the name of the caller, the name of business address of who they represent and say that they would be hearing from me or my solicitor re illegal harassment. If it was a "survey" I would tell them the information is valuable, to them, and I charge £100 an hour, minimum 30 minutes for my time
 Lost it This Morning - Duncan
We don't get as many calls as we did at one time.

They seem to ring in the middle of the afternoon, my normal procedure when they ask for Mr Duncan is to ask them to introduce themselves - quite a courteous procedure, don't you think? This seems to throw them into a panic and often they hang up on me!
We're also registered with the TPS, but we still get calls most days that are identified as 'out of area'.

Thankfully, these callers very rarely leave messages on our answerphone.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 06:37
 Lost it This Morning - Dog
I usually SHOUT down the phone **** off and die!!!

Bit harsh maybe, but I'm fed up with it see.

My latest trick is to be over courteous and ask them to hang on.

I then hit the secrecy button and let them stew.

Mildew has 'the right' idea IMO.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 20:16
 Lost it This Morning - WillDeBeest
Cold calls here seem to have ceased altogether since we took the BT calling plan with the TPS attached. Before that, the worst nuisance tended to be BT itself. I used to enjoy wasting cold callers' time by just pressing the green button without saying anything, then leaving the phone on speaker and listening to their increasingly distressed squawks of 'hello...hello?'

"Do you have responsibility for financial matters?"
is a 'king cheeky question, like 'are you the homeowner?' from people who ring the bell. It's none of their business, certainly not before they've even introduced themselves, which they never do without prompting. If they can't manage that basic courtesy, they're getting no information from me.
 Lost it This Morning - Zero
I had one the other day

"Hello I am calling on behalf of the Solar Energy trust"

"**** off - Its raining"

The worst one are the people phoning form india to find out if you have sky TV

I run them ragged, had one on the phone for 10 minutes asking her questions,
 Lost it This Morning - Bromptonaut
>> The worst one are the people phoning form india to find out if you have
>> sky TV

The phrase 'I wouldn't urinate on Murdoch if he was on fire' is made for these occasions!!
 Lost it This Morning - Dutchie
None of the Murdochs have been charged for any wrongdoing.Strange.Son moved to the States out of the way.
 Lost it This Morning - Iffy
...Son moved to the States out of the way...

Legal action now pending against the Murdoch empire's main company NewsCorp, which has its worldwide HQ in New York.

So son has moved into the way, not out of it.
Let's wait and see Iffy.Don't hold your breath.
...Don't hold your breath...

For what - more conspiracy theories from the envious?

Lost it This Morning - devonite
>>>'I wouldn't urinate on Murdoch if he was on fire'!!

I would! - I just wouldn`t aim at the flames!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 17 Apr 12 at 10:35
 Lost it This Morning - Manatee
For the most part the people making these calls are just oompa loompas trying to make a living. I usually contain my annoyance and just cut the call short and hang up. They get enough abuse without me adding to it. It's a vile job, and most of them do it because they need the money and the hours work for them.

Seem to be getting a few more recently. Must revisit the TPS status.
Not many of these calls now about once a week .We used to have these calls everyday.The rude calls where from London to do with investments.I used to put the phone down then they rang back to have a lot off.

Lost it This Morning - Manatee
>> do with investments

Never, ever entertain anybody flogging 'investments' unsolicited over the phone. They are all crooks, literally. But I'm sure we all know that.
I know Manatee.Surprising how many people get conned out of their money.I don't like these advertisements for instant quick loans on the television.If they can't pay the loan off in the month the interest is sky high.
 Lost it This Morning - CGNorwich
>> For the most part the people making these calls are just oompa loompas trying to
>> make a living.

Yes I agree. I just cut them short as politely as I can and wish them a cheery gooodbye. No real need to be rude or abusive as you have the advantage: you can simply hang up.
 Lost it This Morning - bathtub tom
I had one the other day who tried to tell me I have to register annually with the TPS. They got off on the wrong foot by referring to me as 'mister Tantrum'. I really lost it with that one.
 Lost it This Morning - teabelly
I don't get them. I'm in the TPS and usually make sure anything I sign up for that requires a phone number I've ticked the 'don't pass details on' box. If I'm unsure of the company and why they need a phone number I'll often just stick an obvious fake number in. If you cut out the routes of where they can get your information from then it helps. I've also set the electoral roll to the minimum details.

Lost it This Morning - Meldrew
I don't mind giving out an email address that I keep specifically for possible nuisance people and when I am asked for a phone number I just put in "01010101010" for however many digits are needed to make a real number - it starts 01 so the system accepts it.
 Lost it This Morning - henry k
>>I don't get them. I'm in the TPS and ......
Me too.
I understand that TPS only applies to the UK and I get calls that seem to be from "far away"
I also understand that "surveys" are exempt from TPS.
e.g. " We are in your road and offer a free survey!"........
I try to be polite and end the chat ASAP.
 Lost it This Morning - DeeW
Be very careful about giving anything away to someone 'doing a survey' as once you have confirmed your name is the one they have, then your name and number are passed on.
All my un-solicited calls have derived from one foreign sounding gentleman who rang at the time I had just sold the Micra and said he was doing a survey for the DVLA. He had added a 'bury' to my name and although I told him was not interested as soon as I realised it was nothing to do with the DVLA. all subsequent calls have used his version of my name. They have varied from the 'have you had a loan' to several well known charities such as AgeConcern and the Dogs Trust.

Now I ask them politely for their name and the name, address and telephone number of their company. Often they are thrilled at your apparent interest. Then tell them my number is listed on the TPS and you are now reporting them personally, and their company, to Ofcom, via the TPS.
If you google TPS there is a form on their site to report these callers, they give the company the opportunity to say why they called and then report persistent callers to Ofcom.
Both the individual caller and the company are liable to substantial fines if they are prosecuted, apparently.
 Lost it This Morning - Runfer D'Hills
Or you could try this...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50
>>Or you could try this... www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50<<

LOL :-D
 Lost it This Morning - Harleyman
I get a fair few of these calls asking for the former Mrs. HM, who departed this residence some 6 years ago but is still aive and healthy in another town.

Having had no joy with the "B.... off" routine, procedure is now as follows;

"May I speak to Mrs. ...... ?"

"Hang on I'll go and fetch her".

Leave phone for 2-3 minutes, then;

"I'm just getting the car out; would you mind hanging on for a while,because she moved house about 6 years ago, I'll be back in about nine hours."

Click.
 Lost it This Morning - R.P.
I did the "Yes" thing promoted on YouTube once - just answer Yes to every question....works a treat - the problem is not laughing.

I slammed the phone down on the Blood Transfusion Service (phoning my wife's appointment) I misheard and thought they said "Hair Transplant Service" ....my mistake.
 Lost it This Morning - L'escargot
The ones I like are those selling uPVC double glazing, fascias and soffits. I engage them in conversation and after a while tell them they're unlucky this time because I make my living out of installing uPVC products.
 Lost it This Morning - Ambo
The TPS, like the other preference services, is not 100% reliable and, in any case, I believe the codes are voluntary, so non-members can ignore the rules quite legally.

A blast down the line from a police whistle is quite off-putting to callers.
 Lost it This Morning - CGNorwich
What you have to remember with most of these calls is that people are simply doing a job. probably the only job they can get. It's not much fun being sworn out or hearing the same old routine time and time again by someone who thinks it's the last word in originality.

Every time unemployment is discussed on this forum it is rightly suggested that the unemployed should take any job. That's just what most of these callers have done. Give them a break. If you don't want to talk just say "No thanks" and hang up. No need for police whistles and the like

Lost it This Morning - Cliff Pope
I'm getting to the point now when I just say "No thank you" and put the phone down on anyone I don't recognise.
If the voice comes from India I just say "No".
 Lost it This Morning - BobbyG
I was fortunate to receive a call on Thursday night direct from Microsoft's Indian Office telling me that my computer had developed a problem but he knew how to fix it.

Unfortunately for him

a. I was not doing anything at that point other than watching football and drinking beer
b. I had consumed a few beers by the time he phoned.

Aftwe 12mins 30 seconds he swore at me and hung up!!
 Lost it This Morning - swiss tony
>> I was fortunate to receive a call on Thursday night direct from Microsoft's Indian Office
>> telling me that my computer had developed a problem but he knew how to fix
>> it.

Wow... I wasn't aware Microsoft had an Indian Office that deals with the UK......
 Lost it This Morning - Old Navy
>> >> I was fortunate to receive a call on Thursday night direct from Microsoft's Indian
>> Office
>> >> telling me that my computer had developed a problem but he knew how to
>> fix
>> >> it.
>>
>>
>> Wow... I wasn't aware Microsoft had an Indian Office that deals with the UK......
>>

I'm surprised they don't have one in Nigeria for the UK, (yet). :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 20:27
>>I was fortunate to receive a call on Thursday night direct from Microsoft's Indian Office telling me that my computer had developed a problem but he knew how to fix it.

I had one of them the other day when I was doing nothing in particular and feeling bored ;>)

They finally twigged my 'phone was downstairs and computer up. At least that's what they thought.
CG is spot on.

>>CG is spot on.

He is indeed. We all have to earn a living, but it is annoying when you are thanking these folk for their call, but politely telling them that you are not interested in buying whatever they are selling, when they suddenly slam the 'phone down mid sentence.

Thankfully they don't all behave that way, but they don't get the chance here nowadays as unknown numbers are picked up by the answerphone.
Agree Norwich Iam polite listen and give my answer.I reckon most people do.
If I have time, I like to lead these PITA's along.
Always good the ask a question about something they haven't mentioned yet, or something the spoke about earlier.
The thing to remember, is most of these calls are worked of a script - if you take ownership of the conversation, and attempt to divert from the script, the caller ends up losing the plot.....

If I'm short of time, asking them to ring back later can give strange results as well... they seem to get confused at someone wishing to continue the conversation, but rarely ring back at the appointed time!
 Lost it This Morning - Ian (Cape Town)
>> The thing to remember, is most of these calls are worked of a script -
>> if you take ownership of the conversation, and attempt to divert from the script...

"So, what colour are your knickers?"

>> >> The thing to remember, is most of these calls are worked of a script
>> -
>> >> if you take ownership of the conversation, and attempt to divert from the script...
>>
>> "So, what colour are your knickers?"
>>

Ian, your name is BiggerBadderDave, and I claim my £100..........
He and I probably think alike.

My friend Theo got sick of these 'cold call' types, and tracked back to the company that was organising them.
By some cleverness, he got the numbers, and called the director at home at midnight, and explained that he (Theo) was sick of being inconvenienced by calls, despite his numerous requests to be taken off the database, and that the director would get a call every time he (Theo) was called again.
Worked wonders.
The reason I get so MAD (and I haven't used the F word in ages, not down the phone anyway) is that although I'm signed up to the MPS and the TPS etc - I've been getting a lot of tele-sales calls for a Mr Joe Soap who had this number before I took it over last year.

I've told em (Oldham) time after time that Joe Soap doesn't live here so can they please remove me from their lists (fat chance) it got so bad at one time that I even asked Plusnet for a new number (£35 please)
Its not unusual for me to get 2 cold or silent calls per day btw.

Funny ole life :)
 Lost it This Morning - Woodster
Have you noticed the language that the banks and financial houses use? Typically: 'Have you had a review of your accounts lately?'. Hmmmm, I'm in a continuous state of account reviewing. I normally invite them to review away to their hearts content and write to me with the results. 'Review' means 'sell something' in the world of telephone banking.
 Lost it This Morning - Westpig
>> There that's better must go and lie down.

That made me chuckle...because that's exactly my reaction.

I don't subscribe to the thought 'it's only a job for these people, be nice to them', not at all...because... in my experience when you are short with them/annoyed sounding/exasperated etc....they never politely say 'ok then, sorry to bother you', they ALWAYS argue or continue the sales pitch and become indignant...so in that case they need to be prepared to be sounded off at.

Any polite and reasonable human being would pick up on another's irritance...and react accordingly. If however you don't give a toss and will carry on regardless...then you are pig ignorant and deserve all you get.
 Lost it This Morning - Woodster
Well that pretty much describes an online forum then Westy!!!
So... what part of 'no, thank you' don't you understand?

Or, as described elsewhere... "Listen, you ****, when i said no, the first time, I meant no. The second time I meant no. Now you can **** off and stop wasting my time!"
 Lost it This Morning - Runfer D'Hills
I have been a salesman and all commercial career points in between up to and including an MD in my working life. I have recruited and trained sales staff and indeed done it myself for decades.

One point I've always had to emphasise with those who feel stressed by or abused by rude customers is that while they are at work they "are" the company and will be regarded as such by those customers. In most cases their job title contains the word "representative". It's not a job for the faint hearted. Many people, possibly with good reason, intrinsically mistrust sales people. This often translates into an abusive reaction to them. Some may well deserve it. Often though, they don't. A polite but firm refusal doesn't offend, they're used to that. Wanton abuse however, well, it's usually uncalled for.

That's not to say I haven't resorted to strong language or reactions as a customer or potential one when someone pushes too hard but if they remain courteous, then so do I.

>> One point I've always had to emphasise with those who feel stressed by or abused
>> by rude customers is that while they are at work they "are" the company and
>> will be regarded as such by those customers.

All very well in a commercial setting, but most of the sales muggers are just call center operatives or short term agency workers who don't give a stuff for the company image.
 Lost it This Morning - SteelSpark
I'm convinced that these PPI *** must get our numbers direct from BT.

When I moved house last year, I got a new number from BT. In my experience they don't normally give a new number, but in this case they did.

I never give out my landline number, and have never had any other calls apart from these PPI ones. I got the first one, the first day that the phone was connected and have had at least 2 a day since then.

As far as I am aware, the only people who have my number are BT and these PPI scum.

At least the PPI ******* don't seem to sell it on.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 20:18
 Lost it This Morning - BobbyG
Re PPI, I blame the government and the banks.

When the rulings were made by the courts, there should have been an insistence that every bank/lender introduced a simple, generic application form to get your PPI back. It does not, and should not, need any third parties to cream off monies that are rightfully the individuals.
 Lost it This Morning - SteelSpark
>> When the rulings were made by the courts, there should have been an insistence that
>> every bank/lender introduced a simple, generic application form to get your PPI back. It does
>> not, and should not, need any third parties to cream off monies that are rightfully
>> the individuals.

They almost certainly have records on exactly what payments were made and by who, and could have just paid the money bank into the account it came from in many cases.
 Lost it This Morning - VxFan
Recently kept getting calls from someone called First Assist. My details had been passed to them from The RAC (which reminds me, I must chew their ears off about that as they obviously took no notice of the tick box I filled in requesting my details NOT be passed onto 3rd parties).

I'm with the TPS, but they didn't want to know. Neither did BT - apart from offering me their "chose to refuse" barring service for a fee per month.

Anyway, I forgot that my Panasonic cordless phone has a call barring feature. Works a treat, and all for free.
What model is that then DD, bet it doesn't bar withheld numbers though (the bleed'n obvious)
>> What model is that then DD

The KXTG6522 (the end number indicates how many handsets it comes with) i.e. If you wanted 4 phones, then you'd need the KXTG6524

>> bet it doesn't bar withheld numbers though

I haven't tried, but I suspect you're right as it uses the CLI for the barring.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 20:37
Yep, I see it, £33 for the single handset from Amazon, thanks.
Dave, it mentions caller ID, is that the one y'all pay for or is it some system that works from the H.set phonebook.
 Lost it This Morning - Zero

>> The KXTG6522 (the end number indicates how many handsets it comes with)

6522 handsets? wow thats a big house!
Dave, it mentions caller ID, is that the one y'all pay for

CLI = Caller Line Identity = yes.

BT used to charge for it, but now offer it for free.

>> 6522 handsets? wow thats a big house!

Someone pass him the dunces hat.
>> >> 6522 handsets? wow thats a big house!
>>
>> Someone pass him the dunces hat.
>>

Zero must be worried that someone has a bigger house than him. :-)
Thanks D.
 Lost it This Morning - Crankcase
There must be something I'm doing wrong. Tps and ex dir. In house 12 years. Number of cold calls - not sure we've had the first yet.

Norwich's defence applies to the entire nuisance industry, which is vast, ranging from door-steppers, through chuggers, email scammers and phone pests to the major culprits, the direct marketers. These last are the worst as far as I am concerned. This two-person household and signed up to every preference service there is, yet we get so much junk mail that we have had to swop our normal general rubbish wheelie bin and small recyling bin for a small (and very inconvenient) general bin and a double-sized recyling one. Complaints to preference services are useless and local authorities, who are left with the eventual problem and whose joint power to stop the flow could be enormous, just don't want to know. (Mine even sends us its own junk mail even though we have asked it to stop.) The industry does, of course, provide a lot of employment.
 Lost it This Morning - DeeW
Dog, problem with barring 'withheld' numbers is that lots of useful people withhold their numbers - like hospitals, social services and so on plus several elderly friends seem to use it.
 Lost it This Morning - MD
We rarely get these calls, but on the odd occasion it happens I just insist they write to me. Never fails.
Thanks Dee, I never receive any tele sales calls for Mr Dog being I'm registered with the MPS/TPS plus I'm ex D,
but its the calls for Mr Joe Soap who had this number before that drive me around the bend,
especially if I'm up the ladder :o)

I'll have to see if I can add his name to the TPS, I should have thought of that before really :)
 Lost it This Morning - Roger.
We have just acquired a small sticker which reads
"No leaflets, Circulars, Charity Bags. Addressed Mail only"
Cost us £1.50 from here :- www.stopjunkmail.org.uk/stickers/default.php
We are also subscribed to the Royal Mail opt-out and Direct Mail opt out services. We are ex D. too.
A real bugbear in our area is at least 2 or 3 charity bags a week, stuffed through our letter box.
Straight into the bin they go - but I have to bend down to pick 'em up :-(
I've a large 'no cold callers' sign on my front door. It didn't stop some eejit with an Everest badge disturbing me yesterday. I pointed out it's for their benefit as much as mine, in that they don't waste time annoying me and do they really expect me to buy anything from anyone who's so damn stupid as to ignore it!

The charity bags we find useful as bin liners.
Ironically, in view of what I said about them Roger, our local authority issed these stickers for free but they did not make the slightest difference. They cetainly did not stop 7th Day Adventists. I have some sympathy with these as they are only performing their religious duty but even a letter of complaint to their minister did not make them desist. (Mormons, who live only two or three hundred yards away, only came once but I believe this is all they need to capture one's soul. They got a bad bargain in my case.)

I support of Norwich, I must say I rarely got a rude response when cold calling myself for a double glazing company, although I only got one order and that for only a single window. The exceptions were in the richer areas of my territory, which made me reflect how bad money is for people. I could have made a lot more as a burglar's front runner, however, as it was astonishing how many people, rich or poor, left their keys in the outside lock of the front door when they came home from work.
Latest Forum Posts