Non-motoring > What's on at the cinema Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 16

What's on at the cinema - Focusless
How about a running thread for films (current releases) seen at the cinema?

To kick off, went to see Battleship last night with Mrs F and son (15), although that was partly as an excuse to stuff our faces in Pizza Hut before the showing. I thought the film looked good from the trailers shown on TV (funny that), but then I read some disparaging reviews eg.

If you found Transformers just a touch too subtle, this big dumb puppy of a film is for you (2*)
www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/apr/12/battleship-review

Battleship, a $200 million film based on the board game, is only just seaworthy (2*)
www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/9200563/Battleship-review.html

Well ok, the storyline wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny, and even NC would have trouble explaining some of the physics created by the CGI. But I have to say the spectacular visual effects combined with bombastic audio in a decently equipped cinema did turn it into what for all 3 of us was a pretty entertaining experience. And pop songstress Rihanna did pretty well in one of the main supporting roles, without exposing any excess flesh.

BTW don't be put off by the 'based on the battleships game' claim - that's just some promotional bumf from Hasbro. There's one 5 minute section of the film where the goodies are trying to hit the baddy aliens on a sort of grid, which feels artificial even in the context of this film. But that's it. In fact making a claim like that seems counter-productive - how exciting could a film actually based on the game be?

Switch off and enjoy; certainly recommended if you don't think '24' is jingoistic enough :)
 What's on at the cinema - R.P.
For Valor (sic) was widely trailed when we went to see a film last week - I thought Valor was a brand of paraffin heater so at least the makers had changed the spelling into British English - anyway billed as starring "actual SEALS" full of gung-ho crap. After everything the US and its allies have done I thought we'd moved on from this outright US propagandist production. Is there no sense of war-weariness in the US ?
 What's on at the cinema - Dog
>>Is there no sense of war-weariness in the US ?<<

They thrive on war (think Bush, Cheney, Wolfowitz etc.) its one of their chief exports and a huge money spinner.
 What's on at the cinema - Manatee
>>For Valor (sic) was widely trailed

I boggle at all the trailers (with my hands over my ears usually because they are so loud) that seem designed to put you off the film. The trailer for Warhouse is a good example - you get the impression you'd be subjected to two hours of torture, whereas in reality it's just two hours of Disneyfied syrup.

Last film we saw was this week at Leighton Buzzard Theatre - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. One of those British comedy feelgood things. Innocent enough and gives some old jokes a run out. Won't change your life but might raise a titter. Most of the audience looked like candidates for a retirement home but that's typical of the venue!
It was the preview to that film that we saw this Valor crap trailed.
 What's on at the cinema - Manatee
Did you enjoy the fillum?
It was very good actually...
 What's on at the cinema - Zero
Las film I saw was J Edgar, a confused film but mostly memorable for ageing leonardo di caprio by way of the the spitting image school of makeup. A ghastly apparition that put you completely off the content.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 12:35
 What's on at the cinema - legacylad
Recent releases I have enjoyed were The Muppets, Moneyball, The Descendents, Hugo & Drive, although swmbo did not enjoy the latter as it was brutal in parts.
On a recent flight i watched Heat (again) The Iron Lady, a brilliant performance by i forget her name although i did not enjoy the film, Toy Stories 1 & 3.
My two recent favouites were The Descendents & The Muppets.
Say's it all really.
 What's on at the cinema - zookeeper
arent cinema multi-plexes a bit too loud?
 What's on at the cinema - mikeyb
Just discovered a small independent Cinema up the road from us - good service from the mature staff, and 4.95 adult / 3.95 child for the latest releases. Has just been refitted so has all new seating etc. Think an adult ticket in the local multiplex is well over 8 quid.

Mrs B took Miss B to see The best exotic marigold hotel. Both appeared to enjoy it.

Think our next trip will be to see The Pirates!
 What's on at the cinema - Dave_
We don't often treat ourselves to cinema trips, but we've just got in from watching 21 Jump Street at a multiplex. I found it to be very immature, frequently laugh-out-loud funny, and fist-bitingly cringeworthy on several occasions - I really enjoyed the 2 hours of escapism as did my eldest on her last night here before she goes back to mum tomorrow. Think Police Academy crossed with American Pie, not for everyone I know but for us tonight it hit the spot.
 What's on at the cinema - Zero
I obtained a fairly recent cinema release, that, while being a boat load of bulls hit from china, was amusing and engaging.

Tower Heist, with Ben Stiller, Eddie Murphy and Alan Alda. Worth a chuckle or two.
 What's on at the cinema - Roger.
I'm still waiting for the Marigold Hotel thingy to appear, un-passworded, on the Torrent trackers!
Our local, brand-new multiplex (in a town of less than 30,000 people, FFS!!) wants about five and a half notes for seats - and that's discounted for old farts like us.
Nearly eleven quid, plus petrol & parking.
That's enough for a decent chunk of food at ALDI, innit?
 What's on at the cinema - Dave_
>> Our local, brand-new multiplex (in a town of less than 30,000 people, FFS!!)

That's not Swadlincote is it? Tiny little auditoria there, only 7 rows of seats!

It didn't have the film we wanted to see tonight (although it is showing the rest of the current crop) so we went to Burton. Same distance from here as Leicester, but B-on-T charge £2 less per ticket and the parking's free. Stop for a couple of bags of sweets from Sainsburys on the way, and it makes for a cheap night out!
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 22:55
 What's on at the cinema - Roger.
>> >> Our local, brand-new multiplex (in a town of less than 30,000 people, FFS!!)
>>
>> That's not Swadlincote is it? Tiny little auditoria there, only 7 rows of seats!
out!
>>

No, there are six screens, apparently.
 What's on at the cinema - CGNorwich
Went to see the latest Aardman film "The Pirates in an Adventure with scientists" last week. A superbly crafted film, the detail is absolutely stunning and its very funny. Some great voices including Hugh Grant as the bearded pirate chief and Imelda Staunton as Queen Victoria. The plot revolves around polly the parrot who is really a dodo and the Pirate chief's desire to win "Pirate of the Year Award'.

It really is a film for all ages and if you don't enjoy it I would be very surprised. Don't leave before the credits - they are very amusing.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 23:18
Latest Forum Posts