Non-motoring > Least Favourite Television Adverts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 46

Least Favourite Television Adverts - Meldrew
1. The patronising latex puppets on Wonga.com

2. The ghastly Dolmio puppets witha theira stupida Italiana Accents

3. Ignorant adverts for Lloyds TSB - erratic oboe music and has nobody told Lloyds that wooden puppets with long noses tend to be called Pinocchio and tell lies a lot

4. The man in the scaly cloak with a bad mullet hairstyle who shouts fast at us about double glazing.

I am sure you all have some more?
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Skip
All of the recent/current Direct Line ones !
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - The Nut
>> All of the recent/current Direct Line ones !
>>
"We are not on comparison sites"

I know, every blooming year I waste time getting a quote from them that is £2k more than what I end up paying!
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Focusless
>> 3. Ignorant adverts for Lloyds TSB - erratic oboe music

If you mean ones like this Melders:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3xe9dSY7zM

then it's a human voice, not an oboe, doing the tune. Of course I wouldn't stoop so low as to call you ignorant for not realising that :)

Actually I find that combination of music and imagery quite evocative. Of course I don't pay attention to the message.
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Runfer D'Hills
Almost any which promote products suitable for dealing with itchy private parts, leaky private parts or cleaning or deodourising private parts while I'm eating my lunch.
Ah -pantie liners with "Wings"
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - devonite
Might sound harsh, but I hate all these "will you give just £2 a month to save Sedosy/fido/other lost causes" adverts.

I read once "Somewhere" that the "Ad" companies make these charities ads free (no money paid directly) but then re-coup the expenses over the following 3 yrs from donations made through that advert. Only after that time, do the charities start receiving anything.
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Armel Coussine
There are a lot of ghastly ads but some good ones that are enjoyable for a while.

However they are invariably a total pain because the TV channels jerk the sound volume up a couple of notches when they come on. Something like that happens anyway. On top of that, the sound picture is often sharp and blaring for attention-grabbing reasons.

Software that would automatically mute the sound when the ads came on, or stop the recording device when they came on during films and start it again when they ended, would be worth good money to a lot of people.

I often watch schlock movies into the night. I set the sound level so that I can hear it but it doesn't disturb people who are asleep in the rooms above. The ad breaks often sabotage my good intentions though and people give me dirty looks. The soothing murmur of gunfire, car crashes and people shouting obscenities suddenly gives way to a lot of carphounds yawping at the tops of their voices about products and services.

Earphones on a long lead look like being the only solution.
I've heard a lot of human voices in my time and quite a lot of oboes and, while not a betting man, I'd stick with oboe. Why would a human even want to make a racket like that?
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - zookeeper
it must be ' go compare' as the most irritating ad over the last 2 years or so....theres no comparison !!!
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - R.P.
There's an advert (local to South Wales) broadcast on ITV Wales - there is no soundtrack - what it does is grab your attention to make you look up from whatever you're doing (apart from spreading hair removal gel if that's your thing) - brilliant, cheap and memorable.
>> Why would a human even want to make a racket like that?

:) I sit next to an oboe in the (wind) band I play in, and I'm certain it's not one of those.

Easy to find that the music is composed by Elena Kats-Chernin, but less easy to find a definitive answer to who sings (or plays) the tune in the advert. Although you can find examples of that question being asked eg.
uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080119140433AAEnSOb

I guess you won't be buying the CD :)
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 12:56
>>while not a betting man, I'd stick with oboe.

Dont have a flutter on the National then! ;-)

Tis Eliza`s Aria performed by Elena Kats-Chernin with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYJc7_au_Jg&feature=watch_response_rev

>> Tis Eliza`s Aria performed by Elena Kats-Chernin with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYJc7_au_Jg&feature=watch_response_rev

She composed it, but I don't believe she does the vocal.
And indeed you are quite correct!!

This time tho` I might be, also! ;-)

The piece was first recorded by soprano Jane Sheldon and the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, and released on the ABC Classics label.

Good `ole Google!!
>> The piece was first recorded by soprano Jane Sheldon and the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, and
>> released on the ABC Classics label.

...and indeed it's her on the ad (not sure whether you were saying that or not) -
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Swans_%28ballet%29#Lloyds_TSB_advertisement

Well found :)
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - R.P.
How awful.
IF it is a human voice and I still can't believe it is, it reminds me closely of the "Woman Sitting on a Sharp Stick" school of music/muzak favoured in Poundshops and the like.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 13:11
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - zippy
Adverts.

Are they not a cue to hit the fast forward button on Sky+, Tivo or whatever PVR that people watch TV on.

I don't have time for live TV anymore!
Dont think of them as Adverts, they are coffee/comfort breaks! - I once watched 10 Commandments on BBC! - never again I nearly burst!
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - borasport

>> Are they not a cue to hit the fast forward button on Sky+, Tivo or
>> whatever PVR that people watch TV on.
>>
Absolutely. Most of what we watch live is BBC, so no ads there (except for the BBC !)
What ITV drama we do record and watch, our Panasonic PVR is very good at delineating the ads as 'chapters', so just one quick press of FF and hey presto, problem sorted
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Dog
I never watch TV ads - never not ever zilch zero nil niet.

Its surprised me some of the peeps on this forum that do watch em though Tcha!
Nobody watches them, as such. They are aware of them, take a comfort break, read the paper, unmute the sound when they see, out of the corner of their eye, that the trash is over!
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Iffy
The wonga.com radio ad to the tune of 'Mr Sandman' is well-produced and catchy.

Curiously, it's been withdrawn from several websites, including this one:

www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2012/02/22/wonga-unveils-new-radio-ad
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Roger.
I wonder why the Wonga ad. is "performed" by old wrinklies - exactly the type of client for whom a Wonga loan is so very wrong.
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Ian (Cape Town)
Locally, we are currently enduring the Super 15 Rugby evwent. Every week. 7 or 6 matches. With the same ads EVERY ad break.
There's one which was amusing to stsrt with - some chap fly-fishing, and another chap on a monkey-bike shouts at him - "DOUGAL! It's an emergency!"
Crazy ride into town, and outside the pub all the locals are waiting - the pub is shut, and the keys are inside. Dougal puts his rod through the window (ooerr, matron!) and casts for the keys, and everyone gets in in time for kick-off.
The punchline - "Give that man a Bells!" has become a local catchphrase. As has 'Dougal! It's an emergency!"

However, the advert which was once funny has become a PITA.
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Oldgit
Practically all TV in my house is watched after being recorded on both a Humax PVR and an HDD DVD recorder (pioneer) and so never watch ads which I consider an intrusion, although a necessity for some TV channels to exist.
I, personally don't take any pleasure from watching ads. If I find a Freeview channel programme that's interesting I immediately start recording it and then watch it, say, about 15 mins later and therefore can skip all the breaks.
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Fursty Ferret
[Cheerly cockney voice]
"Do you need cash quick? Borrow up to £10,000 instantly with Cash-For-Idiots.com! Call 0800 XXXXXX or visit our website! Save 10% if you book NOW! Mrs Glibbens just needed £2000 to settle the gap between her dole arriving and the credit card payment going out, and with us she had enough cash left over for a punt on the greyhounds!"

[Serious voice speaking extra quickly]
"Representative APR 3500%. Your legs, thumbs and immediately family may be at risk if you fail to keep up with repayments."
It amazes me how they can string out an episode of colombo into 2 hours, 35 minutes of which are adverts, one every 10 minutes it seems
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Ted

I've skimmed through the posts and not found anyone who's mentioned the cringingleyawful ads from Barclays Bank...you know the ones, the man shooting balloons with arrows, the couple on the rail line and now, a woman on a bouncy castle. All voiced over by some patronising tossoir trying to be conversational and your best friend !

Dave TD and I both fancy the girl in the stripy jumper in the GoCompare ads so there may be a fight over her....he is a lot bigger than me , though !

I hate all these payday or logbook loan type of firms and others where you just know they're trying yo rob some poor mug punter....We buy any car also springs to mind !

Red
The really stupid British Gas ads. irritate the carp out of me!
I like the meerkat ones, though - we even have a Alexandre Orlov meerkat toy in our bedroom. Simples - yes!
talking of good adverts i find the EDF one quite amusing, the little flame/ bird bobbing up and down to the human league
>>the little flame/ bird bobbing up and down

Is that what is is!!!!?? i I thought it was a "Poo"!!
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Ted
>
>>we even have a Alexandre Orlov meerkat toy
>> in our bedroom. Simples - yes!

I have boxed Churchill bulldog in the workshop........oh, yes !

Ted
>>
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Zero
now this is advertising

www.youtube.com/watch?v=316AzLYfAzw
sorry zeddo my old china , nothing beats a bit of suspense....hence
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pwbQvJDFzQ
Did someone mention suspenders??
Dog you animal
Sorry beekeeper, I've just been watching Jenny Agutter in Walkabout ;}
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Jetski
Any advert with a voiceover by Jonny Vegas or Harry Hill.
>> Sorry beekeeper, I've just been watching Jenny Agutter in Walkabout ;}

Watching bee-stings, then?
Good film Dodger (IMO) plus I like love Jenny Agutter (especially in Logan's Run)

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007c5jl/Walkabout/
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Armel Coussine
Have the ambulance-chasers stopped advertising, or have I just stopped noticing their ads? This open incitement to make fraudulent insurance claims is certainly an utter national disgrace. For a while I was getting text messages of the same sort.

But that's capitalism, innit?
You missed them AC - I have just seen the toothy Esther Rantzen telling us about some accident helpline
Esther Rancid, you mean?
 Least Favourite Television Adverts - Ian (Cape Town)
>> >> Sorry beekeeper, I've just been watching Jenny Agutter in Walkabout ;}
>>
>> Watching bee-stings, then?
>>
IIRC, they were quite impressive in American Werewolf...
its on iplayer too dont forget, so you can freeze frame the good bits :}
Latest Forum Posts