Non-motoring > Seaside Holiday in Cornwall Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 31

Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - Duncan
In August we are proposing to have a holiday staying a couple of miles South-west of Tregony. The spot where will be is not on the coast.

Where is the nearest good sandy beach? Somewhere in Gerrans Bay or Veryan Bay?

Step forward the Cornishmen!
 Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - Dog
Ah! e be going to best part o'Cornwall e be, called The Roseland Peninsular.
e be spoilt for choice all along that area inc. Veryan & Gerran.
Get the ole Google Earth out and do a reccie before e go ... and bring a brolley :)
Go for Veryan then, it faces South, has good parking (normally) and there are WC's.
 Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - wilco
Carne Bay - make sure you have afternoon tea at The Nare
 Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - Zero
and visit the lost gardens of Heligan.
And keep orf my beach ... why, Porth Luney of course (hehehe!)
Here's a few piccies of Veryan Bay/Carne Beach that I took on a 'busy' Mayday Dank Holiday.

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/4555523960
>> Here's a few piccies of Veryan Bay/Carne Beach that I took on a 'busy' Mayday
>> Dank Holiday.

Blimey! The place is heaving!

What about Pendower, is that any good?
I see its raining.

I spent 14 days in the roseland once on holiday. It rained for 16.
>>What about Pendower, is that any good?<<

It depends what you want Dunc ~ are you coming with Family, Alone, are you Gay, a Nudist, an Artist, a Metal detectorist, a Geologist, etc., etc.
Are you on a Beano, a Busmans Holiday ... or do you just want a Beach where the children can make castles in the sand whilst you and Mr's Dunc stroll barefoot in the surf?
Pendower is West of where I took my fotographs - essentially the same beach (or a continuation of)
 Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - Fenlander
Nice area Dog.... but about 18 folks, 2 small dogs and a seal too many for me. We go to Scotland every year so we can creep up on places like his..

i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/SealgairC420/CaolisportBeach.jpg

i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/SealgairC420/CaolisportBeach2.jpg

Have to bring your own ice creams though.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 11:15
Nice foto's Fenlander - very peaceful.
I used to live within walking distance of here ~ www.3wishesfaeryfest.co.uk/location.htm
I walked all around that lake once - started at 9am and finshed at 7pm + a pint at the Jamaica Inn :)
 Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - Pat
Thanks Dog, now I know where everyone else will be at daybreak on midsummers day..................so we can be somewhere else:)

Pat
Haven't been to Devon/Cornwall area since I was 19... keep meaning to get back there and pressure from the family may make that a reality before too long. Thing is it is a bit busy in the Summer and i'm anti-social!
So are we Fenlander, but you just need an OS map and go in mid June.

Pat
>>>go in mid June

We had many years going places in June for nice weather and lower cottage prices but having gained our kids later in life now we are only able to do the school summer hols period.

Mind you we are taking one week of our summer holiday early this year and trying the Aldeburgh pebbles end May half-term week.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 12:04
>>> Thing is it is a bit busy in the Summer and i'm anti-social! <<<

Haha! Welcome to The Hermit Kingdom my fiend.
You're not 'really' anti-social Effendi, but I know what you mean :)
Nicole and I no longer have to worry about school holidays so we can pick out times with care. Last year it was late june in Suffolk, this year its early July in Northumberland.

No kids, cheap cottages - me the wife and the dog are happy.
 Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - helicopter
this year its early July in Northumberland.

The temperature might just about have got above freezing by then........

>>me the wife and the dog are happy. <<

S'funny you know - I've had my suspicions about Zed for some time :)
Fifi and Nicole are my two favourite beaches........
Porth Luney does exist btw ~ www.btinternet.com/~nickgardner/devonweather/data/2007/december2007main.htm

it is opposite the Caerhays Etate ~ www.caerhays.co.uk/
I have set two aims for this years holiday in Cornwall.

My ambitions used to be to do the Cresta Run and to shoot the rapids in a canoe but with age and arthritis I've had to face the fact that to achieve them, is looking increasingly unlikely!

So, here's the modified plan:)

I want to paddle up a river on a canoe but it has to be a two man one as I might have trouble holding the paddle for long. ( and I can't swim)

I want to ride on a horse.

Now, I'm scared of horses, well heights really, and I don't want to do either of these things publicly! I don't want to go in circles around a ring thingy either but to plod along a beach or through a wood with just us and the owners.

We looked at the Tamar Canoes and the Foy River canoes last year but it's all done in a big group.

Any ideas?

Pat
>>Any ideas?<<

The River Fowey (Foy!) would be ideal being as you stay in that (general) area.
I've been to its source high-up on the Bodmin moor, which should really be called the Fowey moor = Dart(moor)
I know that area of the moor well - its full of paleo/neolithic remains, in fact I've got a perfect
flint 'leaf' arrowhead from the area.
I'll keep my eyes open Re: your 2 set aims me dear, and let you know what's a'foot.
Orf now to play with my T-Racer :0
>> >>What about Pendower is that any good?<<
>>
>> It depends what you want Dunc... or do you just want a
>> Beach where the children can make castles in the sand whilst you and Mr's Dunc
>> stroll barefoot in the surf?
>>

SWMBO and grandchildren, doing what you suggest above.

If there was a pub with a decent pint of bitter which did food, then that would be close to perfection. Our visit will have to be during school holidays.

I think Cornish Pirates are one of the finest rugby clubs in the UK........................

Thanks for all the responses.
Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 17:37
- - - Duncan, I think Carne beach at Veryan Bay is your best bet.
You can get a meal or afternoon tea in the Nare Hotel www.narehotel.co.uk/welcome
I don't know what the place is like as I'm more yer spit & sawdust pub man :)
No doubt you'll have a car so you can explore other beaches in that area.
Some of the best beaches (IMO) are to be found on the North coast, like here ~ www.stmerrynholidayvillage.co.uk/beaches.htm
The Met office said we're going to have a hot Summer, so bring your sou'wester!
An 'alternative' guide to Cornwall ~ www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s3gq5/Mark_Steels_in_Town_Series_2_Penzance/
 Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - R.P.
Thanks Dog - I forgot he was back - I saw him live once, pretty good left winger of the old school - he judged his audience rather badly in the show I saw.....some of his jokes fell a bit flat - me and a mate seemed to be the only ones laughing.
I'd never actually heard of him Pugley, a friend in Devon sent it to me earlier today.
99% of what he says about The Duchy is true!
 Seaside Holiday in Cornwall - Victorbox
We've had some fantastic holidays based in or near St Agnes - which is the other side of the county but as Cornwall is so narrow by then, it's no distance at all! My favourite beach is Porthcothan Bay near Padstow.
(((My favourite beach is Porthcothan Bay)))

- - - - - >Ssshhh!<- - - - -
Latest Forum Posts