Non-motoring > Found a tenner Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 34

Found a tenner - bathtub tom
SWMBO's just got back from one of those down-market supermarkets waving a tenner she found that had been dropped under the trolleys. This one sits on the edge of a large estate that you wouldn't wander around at night on your own, if you catch my drift, so she's not going to wave it around saying 'I found this, who does it belong to?'

We're not short of a bob or two and would like to return it to its rightful owner, but how?
 Found a tenner - VxFan
If it were me, I'd just put it in my pocket and be done with it.

However, if you feel a bit guilty about doing that, then pop it in a charity tin.

Chances you finding the rightful owner is nil.
 Found a tenner - madf
It was mine.

Remind me where I live...:-)
 Found a tenner - Cliff Pope
Put up an advert " Will the person who dropped a £10 note at .... please form a queue at ..".
Interview the candidates and pick the most plausible, or likeable, or deserving.
 Found a tenner - Armel Coussine
>> pick the most plausible, or likeable, or deserving.

... or threatening...
 Found a tenner - Dog
It could be infected with a life changing virus or bacterium, I'd have left it where it was (unless it was a bullseye)
 Found a tenner - Dave_
>> would like to return it to its rightful owner, but how?

Depends on the supermarket layout and the attitude of the staff. If possible, I'd go back and hand it in to customer services with an explanation of where and when I'd found it, in the hope that its true owner could say where and when they'd lost it.

More difficult if it's the type with only one open till and where the few visible staff look like they could each do with the 10 quid themselves... I'd ring them up and ask if anyone's reported a lost note and take it from there.
>> a lost note and take it from there.

'I'm the guy who found the lost chord' (Jimmy Durante)
 Found a tenner - smokie
Mrs picked up a wodge of Euros in Costco recently - must've been at least €200. She just went straight to the nearest Costco person and handed it to him, who happened to be the greeter. I have no reason to doubt that it was properly dealt with, but I did say at the time that I thought she'd have been better handing it to the customer services people (not least as there was some sort of witnessing of her handing it over).
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 16 Apr 12 at 14:26
 Found a tenner - Clk Sec
Never found money in a supermarket myself, but if I did, I think I would take it to the nearest police station after telling customer services that I had found an (undisclosed) amount.

At least then, if it's not claimed, it'll come back to me rather than the supermarket.

I found a pound note in a country lane when I was a little lad, at a time when my basic pocket money was just 1/6d per week. I took it to the local police station and was told that it would be mine if it remained unclaimed for three months.

Unfortunately it didn't.

Found a tenner - Ted
>> >> a lost note and take it from there.
>>
>> 'I'm the guy who found the lost chord' (Jimmy Durante)
>>

Speshly for Lud, 'cos I know he doesn't know where to find these things !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q0Ce6Jjqsk

Ted
>> I know he doesn't know where to find these things !

Quite right Ted, and thank you. Schnozzle, another era...
 Found a tenner - Duncan
>> >> would like to return it to its rightful owner, but how?

Look Bob, we have been friends for a long time. The ten quid is mine, ok?
 Found a tenner - L'escargot
>> We're not short of a bob or two and would like to return it to
>> its rightful owner, but how?
>>

When I was young, if we found anything we took it to a police station and if it hadn't been claimed in three months it became legally ours. Doesn't that still apply?
 Found a tenner - Meldrew
I agree with the police line although a big supermarket will have a logged and checked lost property book. I'd be inclined, borderline dishonestly, to buy a lottery ticket and, if a winner, then share it with a charity or charities. I think lesc's info is correct re 3 months unclaimed comes to finder
Last edited by: Meldrew on Mon 16 Apr 12 at 15:38
 Found a tenner - devonite
Put it in your pocket! - its your fee for finding it, picking it up, and investing it (wisely?).

As a couple of kids, my brother and I once found an empty wallet, we took it to the Police station and handed it in. Later that afternoon two "officers" came to our house and really gave us the "Third degree", wanting to know where we had hidden the £150 the "owner" claimed was in it! The "old fella" worked nights, and was furious for having to get up early, and that we were in trouble with the Police, and we got a right good hiding!
I have never handed money to the Police since! - but I have "shared" it with a charity.
 Found a tenner - VxFan
>> my brother and I once found an empty wallet

While out for an evening walk I once found a wallet in our village with approx £50 in, umpteen credit and store cards, drivers licence, etc. It was obvious who the owner was because of the contents. Took it round to him and never even got so much as a thank you for finding it and being honest. Grumpy git. If there was ever a next time, the notes would find their way to "charity" and the wallet and remainder of the contents discarded down the nearest drain.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Apr 12 at 19:52
 Found a tenner - Ted

I have strong feelings about this sort of thing. Being a poor pensioner, scrimping to buy a single sausage and/or a potato to share with my wife for Sunday dinner, I know what I would feel if it were me who had lost this large sum.

However, tough ! Should have been more careful...Hard cheese..., Finders keepers, losers weepers... that's a couple of McDonalds for me and SWM next visit to ASDA !

Ted
 Found a tenner - RattleandSmoke
Generally over £20 I would hand it to the police, anything less than I might spend in a charity shop or donate it.

I lost a £20 note once, that hurt!
 Found a tenner - Zero
Good Lord, its a tenner. With no ownership credentials. Straight in the pocket with that one.
 Found a tenner - The Nut
Years ago I have been broke enough that losing a tenner would have been a big deal, I made damn sure I didn't lose it!
Last edited by: The Nut on Mon 16 Apr 12 at 23:53
 Found a tenner - Robin O'Reliant
>> Good Lord, its a tenner. With no ownership credentials. Straight in the pocket with that
>> one.
>>
No one is going to report a lost tenner to the police or the store, if they even notice they've lost it that is. Pocket it.
>> While out for an evening walk I once found a wallet in our village with
>> approx £50 in, umpteen credit and store cards, drivers licence, etc. It was obvious who
>> the owner was because of the contents. Took it round to him and never even
>> got so much as a thank you for finding it and being honest. Grumpy git.
>> If there was ever a next time, the notes would find their way to "charity"
>> and the wallet and remainder of the contents discarded down the nearest drain.
>>

It's not fair (and not being honest) to tar everyone with the same brush. If there was a next time it might belong to someone really nice but really poor.
 Found a tenner - VxFan
>> It's not fair (and not being honest) to tar everyone with the same brush. If
>> there was a next time it might belong to someone really nice but really poor.

When I said "If there was ever a next time" I meant the same grumpy git.
>> When I said "If there was ever a next time" I meant the same grumpy
>> git.
>>

It would still be dishonest.
 Found a tenner - VxFan
Manners cost nothing. Losing his wallet next time however.....
 Found a tenner - R.P.
By sheer chance Mrs RP found a ten euro note a couple of hours ago - this will be handed in at a nearby pub shortly in exchange for 3 pints of Guinness - local requirement so it seems !
 Found a tenner - Pat
On the beer already RP? Has it been that wet today;)

Pat
 Found a tenner - Clk Sec
I'm almost sure I had a 10 Euro note in my back pocket earlier today. Now where can it be?
 Found a tenner - Runfer D'Hills
I have a large floppy red woolly hat with a small Sylvester the cat badge on the front. I've had it a very long time and I'm rather fond of it. However, my son in particular hates me wearing it. Anyway, once in a while I throw caution to the wind if it's really cold and wear it despite the familial protestations.

One time, after it had been missing for a couple of years, ( it goes missing quite often ) I found it under an old pair of shoes at the very back of the wardrobe but with a rather surprising five pound note inside it.

I queried ownership of the fiver but in the ensuing melee surrounding the wisdom and appropriateness of donning the hat, no one claimed the money.

Delighted of course, I trousered the note but to this day I can't for the life of me imagine why I'd have stashed a fiver in Sylvester the hat.

Found a tenner - Manatee
I keep a tenner in the crown of my walking hat. Nothing worse than arriving at the pub after a walk and finding you've no brass. It's come in handy a couple of times.
 Found a tenner - Iffy
...I keep a tenner in the crown of my walking hat...

I've seen a farming relation pay the labour a few times.

A couple of the men would spit on their week's money and put it under their cap.

Found a tenner - Runfer D'Hills
I have a sneaking suspicion the mystery fiver in my hat had a pub connection somewhere along the line. Can't think of any other circumstances in which it would seem like a smart thing to do...

I may consider hypnosis if it happens again.
 Found a tenner - Robin O'Reliant
Humph, possibly your wie gave one of the kids a fiver to "Hide that hideous thing where he'll never find it" and it was mistakenly left in the hat?
 Found a tenner - zippy
Stick it in the charity collection tin that you come across.
Latest Forum Posts