Non-motoring > Law Costs Draftsperson Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 11

Law Costs Draftsperson - Badwolf
Hello there,

Can any of our legally minded bods point me in the right direction for finding information on what the job of a law costs draftsperson is all about please?

I've had a quick Google but with little success other than Wikipedia.

Ta in advance.
 Law Costs Draftsperson - Meldrew
Google did it for me, is this what you want? First UK result

www.jenningslegalservices.co.uk/
 Law Costs Draftsperson - zookeeper
SORTED
 Law Costs Draftsperson - Zero
Sorry woolfie, If you can't use google you got no chance of being a Law Costs Draftsperson.
Sorry folks, I should perhaps have been more specific.

There is an outside chance that I may be changing tack career-wise and becoming a trainee law costs draftsperson. I wanted to find out exactly what the job entails. My Google search only brought up loads of law firms recruiting for the position.
 Law Costs Draftsperson - MD
Well, what is it?
 Law Costs Draftsperson - Bromptonaut
As I understand it....

Costs draftspersons job is drawing up formal legal bills. Not so much those presented to the client but rather those payable between the parties ie where the successful claimant's legal costs are paid by the defendant. If not agreed these costs have to be passed (the old term 'taxed' is still used too) by the court's officer who can dissalow or reduce items.

The draftsman will go through the solicitor's file translating the letters, notes of attendance and notes for fees paid to court, counsel and experts etc into the complex three or four column bill required by the court. Key skills are thoroughness, accuracy, knowledge of court requirements and the numerical fluency to deal with percentages etc for VAT and for the 'uplift' applied to certain parts of the bill.

Somebody I worked with in the Civil Service took up costs draftsmanship thirty years ago and did very nicely out of it. But he'd worked in the courts for ten years before and was ex public school with contacts aplenty in ther legal profession.

The Jackson review and the current government's reforms of Legal Aid and no win/no fee are radically re-jigging the 'costs landscape'. Not clear what the outcome will be.

I'd be very chary of anyone offering training - like Driving Instruction there's more money in the anticipation than the execution.
Thank you, Bromptonaut.

I'm seriously considering applying to a firm of local, trustworthy solicitors (yes there is such a beast!) for a Trainee Law Costs Draftsperson position. I assume that training costs will be met by the firm, providing I show potential.

Law Costs Draftsperson - Iffy
...(the old term 'taxed' is still used too)...

Still heard regularly in the crown court.

Law Costs Draftsperson - Bromptonaut

>> Still heard regularly in the crown court.
>>

The current term is assessed but old habits die slowly. I'd forgotten the Criminal Courts; my time in justice was served in civil and tribunals.

Hope the days news from Johnston Press has left you untouched. Round here the daily Chron & Echo goes weekly.
 Law Costs Draftsperson - Meldrew
tinyurl.com/cqfjsf7

Another fine old English occupation to go with Swan Uppers, Cordwainers and Saggar Makers Bottom Knockers
 Law Costs Draftsperson - Iffy
...Hope the days news from Johnston Press has left you untouched...

Thanks for the thought.

Too early to say, although as I get older I tend to worry about these things less than I used to.

Everyone knocks their senior management, but they may have a point, albeit it's a prophecy they've self-fulfilled.

Cuts in staff resources in recent years has made it increasingly difficult for the smaller dailies to produce five or six decent papers a week.

That, and the changing landscape of news publishing, means there's some sense in the idea of daily online and one bumper print paper a week.

Latest Forum Posts