Non-motoring > Public Transport - Rubbish Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 52

Public Transport - Rubbish - Zero
I live in North West Surrey, I have been asked to attend a place in Wembley to arrive at 05:15, by public transport.

Its not actually possible to do this journey by public transport. The first mainline train to london is at 05:37, and there is no tube train into wembley park before that time.

Checking the TfL journey planner, I can get there at 02:00 in the morning or 06:00.

24 hour city? don't make me laugh!
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Duncan
>>
>>
>> 24 hour city? don't make me laugh!
>>

Moving to Salford, Zero?
 Public Transport - Rubbish - sherlock47
Is this as an Olympics volunteer?

have you explored the option of Night Buses yet?
>> Is this as an Olympics volunteer?
>>
>> have you explored the option of Night Buses yet?

Yup, TfL journey planner (tube, buses) can only get me there at 02:00 or 06:00
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Clk Sec
Get yourself a set of trade plates, and best foot forward.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Skip
Why are they asking for you to travel by public transport, is it a parking issue ?
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Alastairw
Aren't the Olympic people supposed to be arranging for public transport to be starting at earlier time for the Olympic period - I assume this a test event, though.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Bromptonaut
Car > M25 > Watford Junction then trains at 04:10 or and hour later to Wembley Central.
>> Car > M25 > Watford Junction then trains at 04:10 or and hour later to
>> Wembley Central.

The car bit is not public transport.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - R.P.
How would they know ?
>> How would they know ?

Because I would be asking them to pay parking and petrol. I have volunteered, but i am not a blinking charity.

Public transport is free to Games Makers.
Ohh.......! :-)
 Public Transport - Rubbish - John H
They want you to do a marathon run to get there.

Public Transport - Rubbish - John H
p.s. Does a taxi not count as public transport?
No - this is a shift for the games for real.
I went for a end of contract beer with colleagues (previously mentioned on here) a couple of weeks ago - the town where I was going is 15 miles away - it is possible to travel by bus (and surprisingly by train) - but it involved a one mile walk, catch a bus to a town 9 miles away, change buses - to the venue - at least 1.5 hours at a cost of six quid one way. It became simpler to take one car - leave it outside a friend's house, get my wife to collect me and pick up the car the next day.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 20 Apr 12 at 19:31
It seems strange that they seem to have set you an impossible goal, short of you turning up at 2am.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Roger.
It's the Olympics, innit?
A taste of things to come, maybe?
>>It's the Olympics, innit?

Oh well, on yer bike, then...
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Armel Coussine
Call them (if they answer the phone), talk to someone responsible and explain. 5.15 am may be a sort of assembly moment an hour before anything happens. They may not really mind if you turn up at six.

If they do mind, Bromptonaut's suggestion sounds pretty relaxing. The M25 will be cool at that time. Parking shouldn't be too much of a problem that far out.

Have the Olympic ancillary authorities you have volunteered to work for said definitely no petrol or parking? They might allow a bit if they don't think it will run out of control.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - bathtub tom
After the olive oil incident you could hot foot it there.

;>)
 Public Transport - Rubbish - devonite
>>Public Transport - Rubbish

You`ll be getting an email with a title like that!!!! ;-)
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Dutchie
Spartacus.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - CGNorwich
Quote form Locog

"If a Games Maker can't fulfil the suggested shift we will look for an alternative solution. Locog will offer advice and support to everyone involved in the Games on how to get to and from shifts."

What did they say?
Obviously the first thing I did was to tell them I couldn't make those start times.

However the point is not about the games, the point is about public transport. 05:15 is not that unusual to want to get somewhere, ok its not rush hour, but its still a time that should be served by public transport.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - swiss tony
Its just a stark reminder why people don't use public transport - simply, it doesn't take people where they want to go, at the time they want to go there.
"Its just a stark reminder why people don't use public transport"

Not tried to get on a tube or train in the rush hour lately obviously. Of course people use public transport and are crying out for more.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - swiss tony
>> "Its just a stark reminder why people don't use public transport"
>> Not tried to get on a tube or train in the rush hour lately obviously. Of course people use public transport and are crying out for more.
>>

Rush hour actually proves my point (in a roundabout way)

During rush hour public transport DOES run as people require.... its the rest of the day, especially early morning, and late evening that it falls apart.

It HAS to work in both directions at the times people want to use it, ie Zero can't use it to get there, but I'm pretty sure he could get back....
I can't use it to get TO work (too early) but could use it to get home.......

We end up in a loop, losing not gaining services because - It doesn't run, so people dont use it, so it doesn't run......
"During rush hour public transport DOES run as people require.... its the rest of the day, especially early morning, and late evening that it falls apart."

You will never get a public transport system that can provide transport at all hours of the day and reached all destinations. It just isn't economically possible, especially when a large proportion of the population have access to cars and understandably will use these when possible.

The service that Zero is complaining is lacking - i.e a 4.00 a.m. train or bus from Suburban Surrey to central London would I suspect have virtually no passengers apart from himself.

Public Transport - Rubbish - Runfer D'Hills
Anyway, how empty does your life have to become to want to volunteer to ponce about in a crimplene suit for a fortnight marshalling bingo-winged, corned beef legged, far too enthusiastic, emptynesters about from god-awful in the morning eh?

Better off train spotting...

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 20 Apr 12 at 22:32
Better not say what I've got planned then..
>> Anyway, how empty does your life have to become to want to volunteer to ponce
>> about in a crimplene suit for a fortnight marshalling bingo-winged, corned beef legged, far too
>> enthusiastic, emptynesters about from god-awful in the morning eh?
>>
>> Better off train spotting...
>>
>> :-)

You don't often get the chance to be a uniformed jobsworth, take it I say.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Armel Coussine
>> You don't often get the chance to be a uniformed jobsworth, take it I say.

Hat? Truncheon or rubber cosh? Megaphone?

I suppose a taser would be too much to hope for.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - bathtub tom
Crowd control, would a cattle prod be more useful?
 Public Transport - Rubbish - devonite
Dont forget if you wash your uniform at home you can claim for it on your tax! ;-)
 Public Transport - Rubbish - zookeeper
what time do the athletes clock in? get a later shift
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Cliff Pope
I don't really see the problem. Volunteers are King. If they can't meet your conditions tell them to find someone else.
There must be other more worthwhile objects of your charity within a sensible distance at a sensible time.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Fursty Ferret
I always thought a volunteer was someone who didn't understand the question. :-)

Yes, tell them to change the shift for you or lay on decent public transport. Though if LoCog are anything like other big NPOs they'll just book you a taxi!
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Bigtee
>>Public Transport - Rubbish

Get a Taxi.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Roger.
A taxi is publicly available. A taxi is transport.
Simples!
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Iffy
Stuff the Olympics and stop at home.

>> A taxi is publicly available. A taxi is transport.
>> Simples!

A taxi to Wembley at 4:30 am is 50 quid is what a taxi is.
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Londoner
>> A taxi to Wembley at 4:30 am is 50 quid is what a taxi is.
>>
You'll be lucky to find one at all....south of the river....at that time of night.....God Bless you Guv'nor.
...God Bless you Guv'nor...

Now that would be a meeting of two minds...

"Do you know who I had in the back of the cab early the other morning?
"That Zero bloke from car4play.
"He's almost as big a gobsh*te as me."

Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 21 Apr 12 at 20:43
>> ...God Bless you Guv'nor...
>>
>> Now that would be a meeting of two minds...
>>
>> "Do you know who I had in the back of the cab early the other
>> morning?
>> "That Zero bloke from car4play.
>> "He's almost as big a gobsh*te as me."
>>

"I 'ad that iffy bloke in my flounder"

"Who?"
..."Who?"...

Suits me Zeddo, a bit more fortune might be nice, but I'm happy to leave fame to others.

Public Transport - Rubbish - MD
Girls............girls, please.............
One not enough for you?
 Public Transport - Rubbish - MD
0:)
 Public Transport - Rubbish - Mr. Ecs
God I thought Harold Steptoe had died. Who the hell is going to have such a misery guts as the face of the olympics for the public to look at. Stop moaning and either get on with it or forget altogether and leave it to those that are happy enough to participate. You're making too many excuses. What do you want, chauffeur pick up! You are an exceptionally small cog in a very big wheel. Jog on.
Last edited by: Mr. Ecs on Sun 22 Apr 12 at 00:07
 Public Transport - Rubbish - FocalPoint
My first thought was - Mr Ecs is back!

Then I checked and found he'd never really gone away... There was me thinking he'd flounced... ("As I'm probably the sole poster with such an opinion on this site, I'll done the flake jacket, tin hat, bale out and wave cheerio.")

You can't believe a thing people say these days! :-)
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Sun 22 Apr 12 at 00:52
 Public Transport - Rubbish - -
>> done the flake jacket, tin hat, bale out and wave cheerio.")
>>

For some reason a pleasant little ditty just floated into my mind along with a vision of a rich glossy lipped rather fetching young lady delicately and mind racingly devouring a crumbly chocolate bar.....one that used to taste wonderful a few years ago and now seems as bland as the rest of the company's output.
>> God I thought Harold Steptoe had died. Who the hell is going to have such
>> a misery guts as the face of the olympics for the public to look at.
>> Stop moaning and either get on with it or forget altogether and leave it to
>> those that are happy enough to participate. You're making too many excuses. What do you
>> want, chauffeur pick up! You are an exceptionally small cog in a very big wheel.
>> Jog on.

misery guts? me? you make even Harry Rednapp sound like a laughing clown!

Do read my post, even the title is a clue. the rant is about Public Transport.
Latest Forum Posts