Non-motoring > NHS DIRECT Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Deborah Replies: 18

NHS DIRECT - Deborah
My partner phoned NHS direct to get an out of hours phone number for the emergency dentist as a 17 year old that we took into our care 4 years ago had toothache. We had alot of questions to answer and were told we would get a ring back from the nurse on duty but we only wanted a number and she wouldnt give us it. A nurse called snip called back and asked how many tablets was the 17 year old young man taking, why was he in our care etc is that relevant to you as i only want a number my partner said she refused to tell him the number and insisted knowing why he was in our care etc. He said not that it is any of your buisness but his mother picked her partner over her child and threw him out at the age of 13. She refused to give us the number and in the end she gave an incorrect number and reported us to social services for neglect of not having a dental appointment with his own dentist and taking to many paracetamol. We got a phone call from social services who knows the lad very well and said the nurse that made the phone call was over the top and there was no cause for concern with him and gave us the correct number for the emergency dentist. We have reported the nurse that works for NHS direct and i would suggest you ask as much about them as they ask about you (non medical) as you dont know who you are dealing with at the end of the day.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 08:50
 NHS DIRECT - Old Navy
I have a good friend who is a graduate nurse and works for NHS Direct (and Childline). You would not believe the crap and abuse the get over the phone.

Two sides to every story.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 07:47
 NHS DIRECT - L'escargot
>> He said not that it is any of your buisness ...........

He might have got a better response if he hadn't have been so rude.
 NHS DIRECT - Meldrew
When I worked as an NHS receptionist, in an out of hours Minor Injuries unit, we had the Emergency Dental Service number to hand at our desk and could give it to anybody who needed without having to ask them any questions. It is just a telephone number when all is said and done!

I think it is unwise for our new member to be naming and shaming people this early in his time on the site, what do the Mods think? - Quite
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 08:56
 NHS DIRECT - Lygonos
>>I think it is unwise for our new member to be naming and shaming people this early in his time on the site, what do the Mods think?

Not only that but a more potentially libellous post is difficult to imagine.

Perhaps someone mentioned the patient had toothache and had been taking lots of paracetamol.. and perhaps the nurse wanted to make sure he wasn't going to die as a consequence.

Doesn't really matter considering this thread will be deleted or at least heavily modified within an hour or two....
 NHS DIRECT - Iffy
Email the OP to NHS Direct as a complaint - that seems to work wonders with large organisations.

NHS DIRECT - Roger.

>> Doesn't really matter considering this thread will be deleted or at least heavily modified within
>> an hour or two....
>>
So it should be!
 NHS Direct - L'escargot
With the aid of Google it took me all of five minutes to discover how to find a dentist. tinyurl.com/c38t54
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 11:10
 NHS Direct - Old Navy
If you phone my (any?) dentist out of hours the answering machine will give you the emergency number.
 NHS Direct - Falkirk Bairn
A relative who is a dentist used to get lots of out of hours calls for emergency treatment............ all manner of hours especially at weekends............90%+ were for non patients.

He charged non patients a £5.00 donation to the RNLI and did the deed (patients were free)...........that was 45 years ago when £5 would feed a couple for a week.............3/4 months later very few calls...........they made appts through the week for the 8 am - 8.30am emergency appt slots.
 NHS Direct - Dutchie
You've reported the nurse for asking questions.I don't know if you are a car owner but I would have taken the lad to A&E.Or looked up a emergency dentist number.
 NHS Direct - Dieselboy
No use in going to A&E for teeth - it's not their bag.
 NHS Direct - madf
I struggle to see the connection - even vaguely - with a car forum.
Better raised with an MP rather than us altho' I realise we could have more influence...:
 NHS Direct - devonite
A few folk on here have been a bit "down in the mouth" lately tho`
 NHS Direct - Duncan
>> I struggle to see the connection - even vaguely - with a car forum.
>>

Quite right.

But; this is the non-motoring section of the forum.....
 NHS Direct - Dave_
>> I struggle to see the connection - even vaguely - with a car forum.

If I could give that multiple green thumbs madf, I would. If it looks like a troll, and posts like a troll...
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 22:53
 NHS Direct - Armel Coussine
>> If it looks like a troll, and posts like a troll...

Boring, incoherent, rambling, illiterate and exuding an unpleasant air of spiteful carp-stirring you mean Dave? I despised the OP on sight as I suppose others did.

What's in it for the troll though? It's incomprehensible to me.
 NHS Direct - DeeW
Actually, A&E will help if all else fails, if only with strong pain killers. If you break off a tooth in the late evening and are in agony, you are unlikely to get a dentist and pain killers will help until the morning!
 NHS Direct - L'escargot
>> If you phone my (any?) dentist out of hours the answering machine will give you
>> the emergency number.
>>

You're absolutely correct. Far better to do this than to phone NHS Direct.
Latest Forum Posts