Non-motoring > London Marathon - Public Transport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 16

London Marathon - Public Transport - Fullchat
I thought I would start a new thread rather than tag onto the public transport thread as Mrs FC completed the London Marathon in aid of PB - Prostrate and Breast Cancer, and I think deserves a pat on the back but not too hard as she is in a bit of a state today.
Stayed overnight near the Excel and made our way to a point near the Docklands to see them at 14 and 21 miles, and then to the finish.
It was then to KingsX to catch the 17.15 East Coast to Peterborough for a change to continue north. Don't know why the change as there is a direct train to our parts. That's when the fun started :-(
It was clear from the departure screens that nothing was leaving KingsX on the East Coast line. Another screen indicated that a train had broken down northbound at Hitchin. Staff on the station had no information. Other passengers waiting indicated that they had been on and off trains since 14.30.
So it was hang around and see what happened, we were going nowhere fast and MRs FC was in a bit of a state as were other Marathon travellers.
Announcements were being made that tickets would be valid the next day - not a good sign!
Then information was being announced that there were alternative routes from Liverpool St and St Pancras via place like Cambridge, Manchester(no way!) and Sheffield (sounds hopeful). Tickets would be valid on those routes. So we hobbled across to St Pancras with hordes of other Lemmings and joined a queue for 15min. Then it was announced that we should go back to KingsX and tickets were no longer valid. Aaah line cleared! So we hobbled back. Then it was announced that passengers for Edinburgh only should go to Platform 0. The Leemings were on the move again. Then it was announced that anyone trying to get North should get on, which we did. Now the train looked awful long so I don't know if the stuck on a few more coaches and surprisingly we got some seats but there were plenty standing.
So we were all ready to go. Errr no, no driver. More announcements re tickets being valid the next day - still not looking good! Anyway after about another 40 mins we got going - with a loud cheer from all aboard. About 2 and a half hours late in total.
It turned out that yes a train had broken down at Hitchin amongst track works and they had to shuffle train and tracks when we got there.
But the saga does not end there. Unless direct Doncaster is the main hub for our area and the last train leaves pretty early. A fellow passenger got on his Iphone whick indicated about 20.30. No way was that connection going to be made so we rang a friend who travelled 40 miles to pick us up at Donny at 22.00. On arrival at Donny we were informed that they had put a connection on :-O - grrrrrrrrrrrr.
The real beef is that at no time on the train did we see a member of staff or was there any announcement that arrangements had been made. If a train breaks down, fare does, carp happens, but there must be some plan to deal with such matters and a timescale for doing so. This would at least give you the opportunity of assessing timescales and being able to make an informed decision. None of this happened. Total lack of relevant information and no joined up thinking. Not good!
 London Marathon - Public Transport - Meldrew
As a regular traveler on East Coast I do find the service OK and a broken down train in the track works is obviously a major set back al lround. To keep it short, you are entitled to a full refund of your fare, what ever the cause of the delay, if you reached your final destination more than 60 minutes late. I was paid out the other day for being 63 minutes late. If they didn't give you the form at the time ring 01902627971 and they will send the form and you will need to send your tickets too.
 London Marathon - Public Transport - Iffy
So the delay gives FC and the Mrs the chance to swap marathon stories with other runners, and the pair of them get home for nowt.

Not bad.

Good to see your a half full type of guy :-)
 London Marathon - Public Transport - Iffy
...Good to see your a half full type of guy :-) ...

A distant cousin of mine did the marathon years ago.

I missed her on the course, but saw her off at Paddington station afterwards.

We had a drink in the bar of the Great Western Hotel where there was some good crack to be had with other runners and their friends and family.

London Marathon - Public Transport - Focusless
>> ...and you will need to send your tickets too.

...which can be a problem if the exit barrier took them...
 London Marathon - Public Transport - Dutchie
Concratulations to your wife for running the London Marathon for a good course,no mean feat.

Haven't been on a train for a while but if its right what you are saying they could do with inproving communications.At least you got home safe.Two Dutch trains collided head on outside Amsterdam,the other day.Injuries and one person killed.Shouldn't happen this day and age with all the modern equipment and safety measures.
 London Marathon - Public Transport - Dog
>>Concratulations to your wife for running the London Marathon for a good course,no mean feat<<

Same ere.
 London Marathon - Public Transport - devonite
Shame about that young lass dying this year though! ;-(
 London Marathon - Public Transport - Armel Coussine
Very virtuous on Mrs Fullchat's part, I agree.

My feeling though is that you were lucky to get her back. Seems amazing to me that there aren't hundreds of deaths every year with 26,000 runners. Like a Grand National for humans.
 London Marathon - Public Transport - DeeW
Lud, if they had to shoot 'em for damaged legs or feet ......... ;-)
 London Marathon - Public Transport - VxFan
I can remember when it was called the London Snickers.
 London Marathon - Public Transport - Roger.
>> Very virtuous on Mrs Fullchat's part, I agree.
>>
>> My feeling though is that you were lucky to get her back. Seems amazing to
>> me that there aren't hundreds of deaths every year with 26,000 runners. Like a Grand
>> National for humans.
>>
Proof - exercise is bad for you.
 London Marathon - Public Transport - Dave_
>> Shame about that young lass dying this year though! ;-(

Claire Squires' death has been widely covered in the media today, along with the amazing support being shown for her justgiving.com page. She had hoped to raise £500 for the Samaritans but the total has been climbing all day today and donations in her name now stand at over £½m:

www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2
 London Marathon - Public Transport - henry k
Now raised over £750 K including gift aid.

Just giving web site has donated its 5% fee to the fund
This lady reached the Cutty Sark today and hopes to complete in 2 weeks time.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17743915

Puts a bit of inconvenience on the railways into perspective.
 London Marathon - Public Transport - henry k
Now raised £823k so that is £1M including gift aid.
Latest Forum Posts