Non-motoring > Light not working Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 10

Light not working - CGNorwich
The landing light has stopped working, There was a period last week when it started flickering

Not the bulb, replaced the switch. Checked all the connections in the ceiling rose and switch. If I test the terminal with circuit testing screwdriver it shows it to be live i.e the red light on the screwdriver comes on. Advice please!
 Light not working - Meldrew
My light has 2 switches, one in the hall and one upstairs on the landing. If yours is like that you may have to check both switches?
 Light not working - Bromptonaut
Ordinary pendant style thingy? Probably heat damage or weak spring/poor connection in the fitting itself.

Replace with good quality branded component.

Had several of these give up recently. Cheap unbranded generic jobs installed at construction - newbuild first occupied in 1998. Cannot even unscrew them as the bits are interference fit and connections held in by springs rather than trad grubscrew. Need to isolate mains and crack them open with a mole wrench in order tto remove!! .
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 15:46
 Light not working - Jetski
Best to check you have a neutral as well with a multi-meter, could be one of the spring loaded contacts sticking in, pull out with long nosed pliers.
 Light not working - henry k
Can we assume that there is just one switch?

Have you tested for volts at the the pin in the lamp holder?

Maybe the spring connectors in the lamp holder are past it so the bulb is not connecting in the lamp holder.

Try some other bulbs ? Sometimes the solder on the cap is a bit thin.
 Light not working - CGNorwich
>Have you tested for volts at the the pin in the lamp holder?

NO - don't have a voltmeter. Just know there is some current from the circuit tester

>Maybe the spring connectors in the lamp holder are past it so the bulb is not connecting in the lamp holder.

Have replaced the pendant wire and fitting

>Try some other bulbs ? Sometimes the solder on the cap is a bit thin.

Tried several

>Can we assume that there is just one switch?

No there is one in the hall as well

I will check connections in that switch as well

Light not working - henry k
>>Can we assume that there is just one switch?
>>No there is one in the hall as well
>>I will check connections in that switch as well.

I would expect that switch to be faulty.

Light not working - John H
circuit diagrams:

www.ceilingrosewiring.co.uk/ceiling-rose-wiring-new-cable-colours/

Light not working - madf
One of the cables in the pendant has eventually collapsed due to heat...

If you do take it off, NOTE the position of all wires and disconnect electric ( I know....) cos you never know what you may find.

(Been there , did that, screwed up wiring burned out)
 Light not working - R.P.
We had a similar problem here - traced the fault to the actual lightswitch - poorly made thing obviously has a fault in the rocker inside in that it doesn't always "connect"
 Light not working - Clk Sec
>> (Been there , did that, screwed up wiring burned out)

www.niceic.com/Page/SearchContractors
Latest Forum Posts