Non-motoring > Sustrans Cycle Network Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 32

Sustrans Cycle Network - L'escargot
Because Sustrans call it a cycle network a lot of cyclists think it's for the exclusive use of cyclists. In our village magazine, cyclists have even been complaining about pedestrians using the network. I wish they'd read what Sustrans themselves say it's for. www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network
 Sustrans Cycle Network - Harleyman
It should come as no surprise to you. The meek may well inherit the earth but self-righteous cyclists already think they own it.
 Sustrans Cycle Network - Iffy
...The meek may well inherit the earth but self-righteous cyclists already think they own it...

Well put, and as Zeddo commented in the other thread, there appears to be more self-righteous cyclists than any other variety.

Sustrans Cycle Network - Roger.
>> ...The meek may well inherit the earth but self-righteous cyclists already think they own it...
>>
>> Well put, and as Zeddo commented in the other thread, there appears to be more
>> self-righteous cyclists than any other variety.

Including, but not limited to, the current Mayor of London!
 Sustrans Cycle Network - Runfer D'Hills
All sub-groups have their fanatics. Please don't tar everyone with the same brush. Some cyclists are just normal individuals who happen to ride a bike. Just like truck drivers really. Some of them are fairly ok too...

:-)
 Sustrans Cycle Network - Iffy
I ride a bike, although my occasional wobble along a tow path on the Brompton doesn't put me into proper cyclist territory.

Density may have something to do with it.

Not the mental capacity of the cyclist, but there's more room for everyone up here which means less likelihood of conflict.

>> All sub-groups have their fanatics. Please don't tar everyone with the same brush. Some cyclists
>> are just normal individuals who happen to ride a bike. Just like truck drivers really.
>> Some of them are fairly ok too...

You're quite right of course. I do occasionally cycle myself, although I far prefer an internal combustion engine to turn the wheels for me.

It's those fanatics, and their attitude, who do so much of the damage; for instance I tend, when approaching a group of cyclists from behind in the truck, to give a quick toot on the horn in order to give them fair warning of my approach, as specified in Highway Code. On more than one occasion this has led to at least one of the group making a gesture which I suspect implies that he likes freshly ground coffee. That sort of thing really riles me; it's no wondr many drivers don't bother with this simple courtesy any longer.
 Sustrans Cycle Network - Bromptonaut
>> It's those fanatics, and their attitude, who do so much of the damage; for instance
>> I tend, when approaching a group of cyclists from behind in the truck, to give
>> a quick toot on the horn in order to give them fair warning of my
>> approach

Thanks for the thought HM. Some bikers are in world of their own or too plugged into MP3 device.

OTOH trucks are not noted for their silent approach. If there's one behind we've probably heard it and glanced back. The toot might then be interpreted as meaning 'coming ready or not' hence the Churchillian response
>> If there's one behind we've probably
>> heard it and glanced back.

That'll be the day when a cyclist glances back over their shoulder. (I always used to, for my own safety.) I get the impression that nowadays cyclists are unable to turn their head at all.

>> That'll be the day when a cyclist glances back over their shoulder. (I always used
>> to, for my own safety.) I get the impression that nowadays cyclists are unable to
>> turn their head at all.
>>

Are forum members playing pass the tar brush?
{:-D
The toot might then be interpreted as meaning 'coming ready
>> or not' hence the Churchillian response
>>

In which case a quick refresher course on the relevant sections of the Highway Code might be in order. I wouldn't even pretend that I always drive by the book but that sort of thing is especially irritating when you do try to make the effort.
 Sustrans Cycle Network - Armel Coussine
>> that sort of thing is especially irritating when you do try to make the effort.

Yeah Hogman, tell me about it. I've been trying for years to be polite and considerate not just with other motor vehicles but with squishies, crunchies and clankies as well. Of course in London you sometimes alarm one by your very existence, but as a rule people respond well to courtesy in others and often acknowledge it.

However, there's a minority of total halfwits who just disapprove of motor vehicles and let it show even when you've stopped politely as they walk arrogantly into the road or wobble across your path as if you didn't exist. Just asking for it. But the inconvenience that would result makes it impossible to oblige them. It may seem curmudgeonly, but there it is.
>> In which case a quick refresher course on the relevant sections of the Highway Code
>> might be in order. I wouldn't even pretend that I always drive by the book
>> but that sort of thing is especially irritating when you do try to make the
>> effort.

I know where you're coming from HM but not all motorists are doing the HC's polite warning.

It's quite hard to tell toot from PARP!!
craphound.com/images/xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

>> It's quite hard to tell toot from PARP!!
>>

It's not always easy for the "hooter" to do either, many modern horns are quite strident. Volvo lorries, BTW, are fitted with two different horns; one a mild "excuse me" type (operated by small buttons on steering wheel) which I use as mentioned above, and the main one (operated by pushing on centre boss) which is somewhat louder. On mine, the loud one has been replaced by a pair of air horns on the top of the cab; not only useful for waking mimsers, but also essential for summoning reluctant farmers in areas of poor mobile reception! ;-)
>> It's quite hard to tell toot from PARP!!
>>

Most motorists who use their hooter use it to signify their annoyance/aggression rather than as a warning of their presence.
Really curious to know what is deemed "offensive" about Bromp's 21.23 post? Would the contributor who chose to mark it so care to expand?
>> Really curious to know what is deemed "offensive" about Bromp's 21.23 post? Would the contributor
>> who chose to mark it so care to expand?
>>

Perhaps the contributor thought he was having a go at Noddy!
tinyurl.com/6nkj6ws
Well, you might be pretty close on the mindset ! I re-read it a couple of times and all I could see was a possible point of view. Can't imagine how it could cause "offence" to any normal person whether they agreed or not.

Takes all sorts I suppose.
>> Really curious to know what is deemed "offensive" about Bromp's 21.23 post? Would the contributor

I was puzzlwd by that too Humph. It's possible to miss one of the nav buttons and hit rate offensive by mistake but you'd need to OK the second box as well which makes it much less likley.

But then again maybe 'being a cyclist' is deemed offensive??
>> It's possible to miss one of the nav
>> buttons and hit rate offensive by mistake but you'd need to OK the second box
>> as well ..........

I wondered what you saw after you hit "rate offensive", but I could never be offended by something an anonymous stranger said so I've never hit that button. I've hit the "thumbs up" button plenty of times.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 26 Apr 12 at 14:15
 Sustrans Cycle Network - R.P.
I've accidentally hit both on occasions - wasn't me this time though !
 Sustrans Cycle Network - Focusless
Just as a matter of interest, does the site software record who has pressed the tick/offensive buttons?
 Sustrans Cycle Network - R.P.
Dunno.:-(
Well, never mind, by way of a tangential observation it is plainly noticeable how levels of internet courtesy significantly deteriorate once the sun is over the virtual yardarm...

>> once the sun is over the virtual yardarm...

Below the yardarm you ignorant Scotch git... sorry, I mean cultured Caledonian gentleman.

:o}
Oh ok ! What is a yardarm anyway? Don't think I've got one. I've got a Swiss Army knife, would that have one on it?

;-)
>> I've got a Swiss Army knife, would that have one on it?

Only if it's got a mast from a square-rigged ship as one of its features.

Oh, and the expression is 'over the yardarm', not below it. But you are still a cultured Caledonian gent even though I was wrong.
I love being right...I know it's a failing and a deeply unattractive trait but there it is...don't beat yourself up too much AC it's perfectly normal as the years advance...

Whistles opening bars of "Flower of Scotland" and strolls off to put kettle on...

:-))
>> Oh ok ! What is a yardarm anyway?

Read ........... "When a Loose Cannon Flogs a Dead Horse There's the Devil to Pay: Seafaring Words in Everyday Speech" by Olivia A. Isil (International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press, McGraw-Hill, 1996)
 Sustrans Cycle Network - Pat
>> Would the contributor

In view of my recent experience, not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening.

Pat
>> >> Would the contributor
>> >> who chose to mark it so care to expand?
>>
>> In view of my recent experience, not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Honourable Members are referred to the last line of my post at 14:05 :-)
Latest Forum Posts