Non-motoring > Gardening ish Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 29

Gardening ish - MD
Morning all,

I have a small potting shed and wish to grow some Chillies and Peppers and anything else that should do well in pots.

Do I grow from seed or buy something that is partially established?

Varieties etc??

Anyone tried any of this? All advice and tips gratefully received.

VBR...................Martin.
 Gardening ish - FocalPoint
You say you have a potting shed, but, more to the point, do you have a greenhouse?

Stuff like chillies and peppers would do better under glass.

Grow from seed and the time to sow in a greenhouse is March onwards; if you have no greenhouse sow in a cold frame, cloche or whatever from April onwards. Remember these plants need lots of light.
 Gardening ish - CGNorwich
Agree you really need a greenhouse as these plants need warmth and light. If you have one they are easy and fun to grow and don't need a lot of care, just regular watering and the occasional feed. Probably a bit late if you want to grow from seed so I would buy some plants from garden centre. Don't grow too many chillies - you get an awful lot on one plant!

Peppers come in all shapes and size, I like the long "Romano" types.

Gardening ish - FotheringtonTomas
>> I have a small potting shed and wish to grow some Chillies and Peppers and
>> anything else that should do well in pots.

Some chilis will do very well in pots ion a sunny place - "Apache" is a dwarf variety that produces small hot chilis (1" long, or so, pointed), two plants will give you enough to store in vinegar in jam jars (the vinegar will become a fiery condiment in its own right). Larger "bush" varieties 18" or so will produce well too, giving chilis up to 2" long, but not as hot. Sweet peppers need more consistent warmth, so are an indoor job (greenhouse, or wherever there's plenty of light too, and cross your fingers.

>> Do I grow from seed or buy something that is partially established?

Time's getting on. If you live in the south, perhaps from seed, speed germination by doing it inside with kitchen paper (as in growing cress), pot up the plants as soon as you see they've sprouted, look after carefully indoors until you can put them out. If it's just the "growing experience" you want, buy plants, they should be a more reliable bet.

If you'd like an experiment, try growing an aubergine plant or two. These do well where it's consistently warm and sunny, and are very interesting.
 Gardening ish - MD
Thanks so far. The 'Potting shed' is a smallish 12ft x 5 ft attachment on the back of the house. Faces WSW. The Lady that had the property prior to us was a Gardener's question time type, tweed skirt et al and really knew her stuff (the Garden is full of the most wonderful plants etc.) Therefore I presume that she knew that the 'Potting shed' would work, but for what?? As there is a Propagator in there and a heater she obviously brought things on, but whether it is suitable for my purpose who knows. The glass area (above 3 feet high) is only 6ft of the 12 ft length. The rest, including the roof is a double skinned, slighty tinted (or grubby!) twin wall plastic, I guess to ensure that not too much heat or light perhaps got through. I can keep it warm in there at night as at this height it can still be chilly (sic), but I do wonder about the light levels. Tis a lovely warm (ish) bolt hole of an evening though. Listen to the wireless and just be Man in shed!

Anyway back to growing, but not up!!

Regards to all...................Martin.
 Gardening ish - Pat
With that set up I'd definitely go for it Martin.
Gardening will never be an exact science, it's all about enjoying nurturing something and watching it grow.

It souns like it's been used that way before and rest assured your Chilli plants will thrive with the human company.
Just don't forget to talk to them either:)

I do so envy you your garden!

Pat
 Gardening ish - Zero
Today I planted the tom plants in the greenhouse. Based on FTs advice, while down the gardencentre I bought a chile plant as well.
 Gardening ish - Runfer D'Hills
When you have planted the chilli or handled it, do remember to wash your hands before you go to the loo. Trust me on this one.........

:-(
 Gardening ish - Ted

.....also, never, ever keep the pile ointment and the Fiery Jack on the same bathroom shelf.
Mistakes can be made !

Ted
 Gardening ish - Zero
Oh I know, you are talking to the man who rubbed his eyes after stripping the seeds out of a chile when making a curry
 Gardening ish - Runfer D'Hills
Yep, done that too. Whisky helps the pain though, if you drink plenty of it quickly enough. I suppose that's what tequila was invented for.
 Gardening ish - FotheringtonTomas
>> Based on FTs advice while down the gardencentre I bought a chile plant as well.

Um. "This'd better work".

What sort did you get?
 Gardening ish - Zero
A "Tobasco"?

is that any good? what are they like?
 Gardening ish - helicopter
I believe you mean Tabasco Zero old chap ( Capsicum frutescens ) named after the state in Mexicio where it originated .

It is used in Tabasco sauce - everything you ever need to know about chilis on attached link

www.g6csy.net/chile/var-t.html
Last edited by: retpocileh on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 15:42
 Gardening ish - Zero
no I mean a tObasco. Its from free range UK,
 Gardening ish - MD
>> It is used in Tabasco sauce - everything you ever need to know about chilis
>> on attached link
>>
>> www.g6csy.net/chile/var-t.html
>>

Now that is a helpful site ol' whirly one! thanks.

M
 Gardening ish - Pat
Well I've been working in the greenhouse all day (8'x6') planting up hanging baskets mangers and tubs.

I've wished so much I had your potting shed, I'd be growing much more than Peppers!

I'd like to know if we're going to get any more frost in the Fen?

Pat
 Gardening ish - Mapmaker
The fens are notoriously frosty - those big open skies, coupled with distance from the sea.

I wouldn't put anything delicate out before 1 June in the fens. I lost tomatoes growing outside when just outside Cambridge during AUGUST in 2001 and 2002.
 Gardening ish - Pat
I thought that would be the answer but I'm running out of room now:)

The wind does a lot of damage as well and it always seems to blow in the Fen.

Pat
 Gardening ish - Zero
Its a cruel and hostile place, the flatlands.
 Gardening ish - Pat
Just read that again mapmaker...AUGUST??

What happened to them?

Pat
 Gardening ish - Mapmaker
Mid AUGUST. Frosted. Dead and blackened.

This is a post that deserves a thumbs down...
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 17:40
 Gardening ish - Pat
Not from me MM:)

I've boycotted the thumbs in protest............don't suppose anyone will ever notice, but it makes me feel better!

Pat

Gardening ish - Zero
Now now Pat. remember DQ.
 Gardening ish - Pat
DQ??

Pat
 Gardening ish - Zero
crown?
 Gardening ish - Pat
Yes!!!:)

There's nothing like a day in the garden to mellow me.

Pat
 Gardening ish - Pat
Thanks for that timely warning MM.
Thanks to you I managed to squeeze everything back in the greenhouse or at least build a bit of shelter around them for the weekend.
We had frost at Peterborough showground, so it was worth doing!

I'm now back to taking them out in the day and back in at night.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 5 May 10 at 10:23
 Gardening ish - FocalPoint
Spending a good proportion of my time in the Peterborough area (the rest in Hertfordshire), and with SWMBO being a gardening fanatic (chair of local Hort. Soc.), I know what you mean.

My own hunch is that it's wind damage as much as frost that can cut tender plants down. Even temperatures that wouldn't on their own damage some things can become killers when that wind sweeps in from the east over the fens.

Having said that, the garden as a whole seems to have survived the recent cold winter pretty well.
 Gardening ish - Zero
The east coast, ( and the fens up to peterborough really are the east coast - if it wasnt for the dykes, hundreds and drains Peterborough would be a seaside town) suffers from airbourne frost. Stuff a foot tall can survive, stuff 2 foot tall will have the tops ravaged and frozen. In Essex I used to walk to school and i would arrive with the coat from waist up covered in white frost.

The thing about this airborne frost is that you dont need the general temperature to fall, so it can appear (and depart) quickly
Latest Forum Posts