Non-motoring > How old were you when you started full-time work Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 53

How old were you when you started full-time work - L'escargot
'Er indoors started work in a "cost office" at an engineering factory on her 14th birthday. Her dad went with her on her first day just to make sure that that the office was OK.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - tyro
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Roger.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Dog
I was a fool time window cleaner at age 15.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Pat

Pat
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Oldgit
17years. Then had day release and night school to do a BSc general course - now that IS a hard way to get a degree! Not the soft mamby pamby way it is today. Mad keen on science and it was a way of getting out of National Service.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - DeeW
18, just
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Falkirk Bairn
16 - for 12 mths - then Uni+TTC then 22 - retired on 60th
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Westpig
17......if you can count police cadets as full time work.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - lancara
20....was on "sandwich" course so it was first 6 months works-based.

P.S. Retired 8 years ago, but was offered a job yesterday by my last employer as "they can't find anybody"!!
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Runfer D'Hills
Tell 'em you're not cheap!
:-)
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Old Navy
16, retired (1) at 50 (2) at 60.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - VxFan
Aged 16 - YTS scheme, earning £25 a week (1984). All that was available at the time, as it was a new thing that the job and career centres were pushing at the time.

Offered a job at the end of the scheme and been there ever since (27 years).
 How old were you when you started full-time work - NeilS
19, should have been 18 but wasted a year at Poly studying accountancy. Too exciting for me so went into retail.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Fursty Ferret
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Dutchie
I started full time work at the age of 16.Retired at 60.Enough is enough.>:)
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Mike Hannon
15 years 3 months - before O levels that is. Felt it was necessary to catch up later via OU though.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Oldgit
>> 20....was on "sandwich" course so it was first 6 months works-based.
>>
>> P.S. Retired 8 years ago, but was offered a job yesterday by my last employer
>> as "they can't find anybody"!!
>>

Did you go on to work in the catering business or Pret a Manger, then!
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Robin O'Reliant

£6 per week gross, £5-9/4d nett. (I've forgotten how to write figures in LSD, someone remind me).
 How old were you when you started full-time work - zookeeper
16... worked in a wine cash & carry , best job i ever had ...then got made redundo, became bricklayer
I've always worked. Even when I wuz gettin' a hedjumukation I always worked around it. From the age of 13 when I got my first paper round I've always had some form of income. Seems like I'll have to do something until I turn my toes up what's more !

Or rob a bank. Or seduce a rich widow...

How old were you when you started full-time work - Armel Coussine
I've had a number of varied full-time jobs, only eight or nine I think. From the late sixties onward I have been what is laughably known as 'freelance'. In practice this means working more than full-time some of the time and less than full-time some of the time. It may sound relaxing but it isn't. I can't afford to retire and will be working into the knacker's yard.
See above for alternatives AC...

How old were you when you started full-time work - Dave_
17¼. Gave up with 6th form at Christmas, landed first proper job mid-January.

I'd had a paper round from my 13th birthday and a part-time shelf-stacking job from my 16th.

Retire? I can't see that far ahead from here :(
 How old were you when you started full-time work - zookeeper
ok ...whats the worse job you ever had?
 How old were you when you started full-time work - MD
16 but part time everything since 12
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Bromptonaut
Joined Civil Service at 18yrs 10months. Still there now but expect redundancy by autumn 2012.

Part time? Warehouse assistant in Morrisons' Yeadon store at 16 during summer of 76 but gave up after disastrous O levels.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 26 Apr 12 at 21:00
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Aretas
3 weeks after my 16th birthday and living in digs 80 miles from home.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Biggles
27. Quite young for Germany where the average student leaves Uni aged about 25 and then if they take a PhD, 30 or so.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Roger.
>> OK ...what's the worse job you ever had?
>>
Working.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - R.P.
Sort of as a youngish youngster hoilday sort of thing - Worked in a cold store - it was very cold - but the wages (1978) were over 100 quid a week - hard labour, cold (did I mention that) all the Black Forest Gateau you could eat. I'll be honest not hated anything I've ever done, even when I was temping on minimum wage last October....I like work !
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Alastairw
Almost 22. Disturbingly that was almost 22 years ago...
 How old were you when you started full-time work - RattleandSmoke
I had my first full time job at 17, but I hated it and quite after 3 weeks! My first real full time job is my business and I think I was 23 when I started that! I am 30 soon so it seems like a hell of along time! I am still at college too and I think I always will be for the rest of my life!

I did have two part time jobs while I was at university too to fund my railway holidays in Europe.

How old were you when you started full-time work - Bigtee
15 yts scheme. 7 weeks before my 16th birthday.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - WillDeBeest
Almost 22. Disturbingly that was almost 22 years ago.

Me too. Except that my 22nd anniversary has already passed.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Pat
Waiting at table at dinner parties at the 'big house' before I left school.

At least I learned which knife and fork to use!

Pat
>>ok ...whats the worse job you ever had?<<

Driving a blimmin Leyland Terrier!

I'd been driving a Commer walk-through up until then but wanted to join the big boys (and girls) so I grabbed the chance when I heard of another job going in the paper trade where I worked in the 70's.

BIG mistake though, blimmin Leyland thing used to be unstable at speed (50mph) and anyway - I couldn't park it outside me owse anymore!
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Bigtee
>> ok ...whats the worse job you ever had?
>>
>>

None yet there all a learning curve only had 4 jobs in 25 years.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Ambo
19, if you count National Service. Less work than I ever found again before retiring and the most freedom.
I did lots of shift work during my working live.Never enjoyed it being awake at work 2 in the morning.All jobs becoming boring after a while.>:)
In my market research days, in the early sixties, I worked, initially as an interviewer, for a big firm on an enormous survey covering people's media preferences and buying tendencies and general attitudes in enormous detail. Interviewing was all right - I learned a hell of a lot of London on foot, and you got to meet lunatics and bores of every stripe. But at one point I worked correcting errors in the binary processing of all this guff in the elegant house opposite the BBC in Portland Place containing the, gasp, Ferranti mainframe computer. The entire house, a sort of Regency effort I think, was filled with huge banks of vacuum tubes - old-fashioned radio valves - except for some office space with black steel desks with slots in the top, spewing out endless sheets of paper printed with long lines of binary code, endless zeroes and ones. You had to find the transcription error, track it down to the original questionnaire and make the correction like a proofreader, delete zero, insert 1 or whatever. Night shift, 8 till 8, in a room illuminated by the flickering glare of many fluorescent tubes, with the huge air-conditioning system needed to stop the tubes overheating and setting the place on fire making a continuous loud hum like a ship's engines. All for 12 quid a week: pure, hideous science fiction.

Gave me an abiding hatred of computers that it took years to shake off. Oh, and by the way: your mobile is probably more powerful as a computer than that houseful of carcinogenic futurist machinery. But it was the latest thing then. Frightfully grand. Around 1962-64 I think.
>>delete zero<<

He appears to have deleted himself.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Clk Sec
>>delete zero<<

He's back to work on the early shift. Probably too tired to post on here.
Hope he hasn't been standing too close to any olympic torch trials in that crimplene suit...

Is he part of security fully armed..;)
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Avant
Just 21, in 1969, straight from university. Can't afford to retire yet, but still enjoying what I'm doing, in only my fourth job in 42+ years.
>> had a number of varied full-time jobs, only eight or nine I think.

Or perhaps a dozen, on reflection. But it was ages ago. And one kept these jobs sometimes for a month or so. In my youth labouring jobs and similar were easy to get.

My first regular job was when I was 18, in a sleazy restaurant opposite Bath railway station. I doubt if I had it for more than three or four months. When Bath races were on the bookies used to rush out of the station for lunch on the way to the racecourse. Prince Monolulu the tipster came in. Some of the bookies left horses' names instead of money tips. The restaurant owner was a betting man and put a punt on for me with his friend the bookie. I won thirty bob which seemed a lot at the time. I wished I had had more faith in the bookie because that horse really was a dead cert.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 29 Apr 12 at 02:52
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Mr PDA
YTS parts trainee at 16, to the horror fo my parents.

I had been starting A levels, but jacked it after six weeks because I just didn't want to be there any more.

Worst job? Door to door salesman. Simply soul destroying tramping from knock back to knock back, although you meet all sorts along the way.

Best job? Probably the one I've got now. Its certainly the one I've been at longest, some six years or more already.

>> Prince Monolulu the tipster came in<<

I wonder how many people on this forum remember or have even heard of him Sire!

:)
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Duncan
>> >> Prince Monolulu the tipster came in<<
>>
>> I wonder how many people on this forum remember or have even heard of him
>> Sire!
>>
>> :)
>>
Link to Wiki

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Monolulu
 How old were you when you started full-time work - -
Just under 16, failed my English O level but passed that the next year via evening classes.

Just wanted to get out of school for a variety of reasons...mainly being a young idiot, regretted that decision at leisure over the decades.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - L'escargot
>> >> Prince Monolulu the tipster came in<<
>>
>> I wonder how many people on this forum remember or have even heard of him

We used to live near a racecourse and I saw him at several race meetings in the 1940s. He was a tipster and he used to call/shout out "I gotta horse." We used to pick up empty beer bottles and, if they were the right brand, we took them back to our local off-licence to get a refund.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 29 Apr 12 at 13:34
 How old were you when you started full-time work - Zero
15, 4 months winding transformers, 2.5 years avionics apprenticeship, 6 months making photo booths, 36.5 years IT same company. Retirement after 40 years work.
 How old were you when you started full-time work - four wheels good...
Took the Queen's shilling at 16.
Latest Forum Posts