Non-motoring > Alarm installation progress and trunking Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 13

Alarm installation progress and trunking - RattleandSmoke
I am half way through completely replacing our alarm system. It is a Grade 2 Texacom unit (none of the B&Q crap) and so far have completely ripped the old one down and started from scratch. The end station used to be hall on show, the new one is in the consumer unit cupboard hidden and I have put an external speaker else where in the house to confuse the burglars.

Cut the old alarm wire short and placed a 3 amp FCU so I have a way of isolating the alarm without disconnecting the downstairs lights!

I have put most of the alarm wires in trunking along the skirtern boards where it doesn't show as furniture is in front of it, but over the weekend I need to start wiring in the PIRs. Rather than clipping the wires onto the wallpaper (rather ugly) I want to hide them in some sort of corner trunking. Does such think exist?

PS Never attempt to install a full professional grade alarm system when the house is being lived in and you have to keep down tooling to go to jobs! My mother is going mad about the mess and because I have a full time job the install is taking for ever. Got the alarm stuff yesterday and so far all I have done is hung the end station and remote key pad onto the walls and them up.
 Alarm installation progress and trunking - Old Navy
>> I am half way through completely replacing our alarm system. It is a Grade 2
>> Texacom unit (none of the B&Q crap)

I have seen it in B&Q. I do not know if it is crap, It just looked like white plastic self adhesive corner trunking, in two sizes. :-)

I would prefer to run the wires within the walls, it is not difficult and less likely to be ripped out by visitors trying to silence the alarm.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 27 Apr 12 at 08:18
 Alarm installation progress and trunking - devonite
My B&Q "crap" is Wireless (No Wiring or ugly Corner Trunking!) and has performed faultlessly for over 10 years now. (Apart for a battery change about 5yrs ago).
Alarm box with Strobe and Siren, 5 room PIR`s and 7 door/window sensors and three remote control Fobs (with panic function!) all for less than £100 back then!
 Alarm installation progress and trunking - Clk Sec
>> My B&Q "crap" is Wireless (No Wiring or ugly Corner Trunking!) and has performed >>faultlessly for over 10 years now. (Apart for a battery change about 5yrs ago).
>> Alarm box with Strobe and Siren, 5 room PIR`s and 7 door/window sensors and three
>> remote control Fobs (with panic function!) all for less than £100 back then!

I guess that the only wiring that might be visible would be between your control panel and the nearest socket. I'd probably go wireless next time though, as having a non wireless system installed can be very disruptive and vastly more expensive.
 Alarm installation progress and trunking - CGNorwich
Do you think Burglar alarms are worthwhile? Always been dubious myself and would spend my money on decent locks, doors and other physical security. Who takes any notice, apart from swearing, when they hear a burglar alarm go off?

Alarm installation progress and trunking - devonite
Nowadays, to people in the street, I suppose they are treated just the same as car alarms - virtually ignored!

However, when i`ve accidentally triggered it, it is quite disconcerting! and I dont think any "Burgular" would feel very happy staying and rummaging through your stuff with it going off! ;-)
even if they thought as above!
 Alarm installation progress and trunking - Old Navy
I live on a small estate, about 80% of the houses have alarms, (they were an option at build).

Like devonite, it is disconcerting, almost painful, as mine has an internal siren to compliment the external one. In 15 years since the estate was built I do not know of any break ins.
 Alarm installation progress and trunking - The Nut
>> Do you think Burglar alarms are worthwhile?

Only if the neighbors have alarms as well, don't look like the easy target is the main point really.

I would agree, good doors and locks should be the first priority.
 Alarm installation progress and trunking - L'escargot
>> Do you think Burglar alarms are worthwhile?

At our last abode we just had a dummy alarm box. It was very realistic-looking with a battery-powered flashing LED at the bottom. We were never burgled so it must have been effective.
 Alarm installation progress and trunking - VxFan
>> We were never burgled so it must have been effective.

Groundhog day?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=9931&m=221765

;)
>> Groundhog day?

Important information is always worth iterating.
;-)
Do you mean reiterating?
>> Do you mean reiterating?

Nope. According to my dictionary, iterating means repeating and reiterating means repeating over and over again.
tinyurl.com/boka6wv
tinyurl.com/boka6wv
tinyurl.com/boka6wv
tinyurl.com/boka6wv
ad nauseum!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 27 Apr 12 at 13:25
>> Do you mean reiterating?
>>ad nauseum!

'Twas TIC, L'escargot.
Latest Forum Posts