Non-motoring > Coffee shops in Amsterdam. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 32

Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAC-wzco54E&feature=related

There is a debate in the Dutch government that cannabis is not allowed to be used by tourist in the future.Only registered users will be able to.This is a interesting documentry about the Marijuana plant.

Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - CGNorwich
'cannabis is not allowed to be used by tourist in the future."

Surely such discrimination is against our human right to be as high as any local.
Did you see the film? Not just about being high.
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - Armel Coussine
>> see the film?

I wonder how many will watch it all through Dutchie? Over-egged the pudding here and there perhaps, but its heart seemed to be in the right place.

I must say this cannabis stuff sounds rather good. One might almost be tempted to give it a try, were it not for the risk of sending the wrong signals to the hoi polloi.

Bit backward of the Dutch government surely? Someone must have twisted its arm. Who'd be a coffee bar owner eh?
There is more trouble from alcohol abuse A.C than cannabis ever will be.
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - Dog
>>There is more trouble from alcohol abuse A.C than cannabis ever will be<<

Estoy de acuerdo.
>> There is more trouble from alcohol abuse A.C

I know Dutchie. My post was very tongue in cheek. I used a lot of weed (and speed) when young and at various points up to and including the present have drunk a fair amount as well. The worst thing cannabis did to me was get me addicted to tobacco, which is more harmful and less fun.

Cannabis isn't everyone's cup of tea. It isn't toxic or really harmful but not everyone likes it or even sees the point. Amphetamine though is quite physically harmful, and alcohol in quantity is often very bad for people's behaviour as well as their health.

I don't agree that cannabis use makes people boring, depressed, psychotic or directionless. But it may accentuate those qualities if the person has them already. It can engender acute anxiety ('the horrors') in some individuals.

People should approach any drug or psychoactive substance with systematic caution. This is especially necessary with powerful stimulants or sedatives (e.g. heroin) which can kill. The repressive, misleading and silly public discourse on drugs by keeping people ignorant and superstitious has caused many deaths and a lot of misery.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 29 Apr 12 at 15:59
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - R.P.
AC,

The nature of "weed" has changed - no-one wants the "classic" or "Lite" stuff - they all want this more potent stuff for the bigger hit and there lies the road to ruin....there has been a subtle change over the years....
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - DP
>> AC,
>>
>> The nature of "weed" has changed - no-one wants the "classic" or "Lite" stuff -
>> they all want this more potent stuff for the bigger hit and there lies the
>> road to ruin....there has been a subtle change over the years....

Borne out by my recent experience with my first dabble in over 10 years a few weeks ago. Not at all how I remember it. Felt disoriented, uncoordinated and at one point, horribly panicky. Thoroughly unpleasant, and not something I will ever do again.

I suspect it was a combination of the weed changing, and me not being the same person as I was 10 years ago, but whatever it was, it's not an experience I want to repeat.

When I did it before, it made me laugh a lot, feel very relaxed, and ultimately sent me into a very pleasant sleep. It ain't like that any more.

Even I've got the munchies now after that DP !
>> Even I've got the munchies

Heh heh... perhaps you have got a clue after all Rob.

Some people never like cannabis. Some go off it like DP.

I can understand that. I don't even like mutton Madras as much as I used to.

Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - Zero
Dabbled, pre marriage kids and mortgage, and like you, it had very similar effects as alcohol, relaxant, un-inhibiter, all round good laffs.

Now its much stronger, most of it appears to be skunk. It's much more pungent and hard to disguise the smell now. Last time I had some I was sick, never again.
And regardless of what AC says it can and does cause mental health problems for people - I've seen enough of the fall-out.
>> can and does cause mental health problems for people - I've seen enough of the fall-out.

Post hoc non est propter hoc, one might be tempted to murmur. The cause of people's mental disorders is unlikely to be a mild drug that doesn't agree with them and that they have perhaps taken under social pressure from their peers in recent times. It may not have helped. They may even persist with it and act a bit crazily. But the cause is elsewhere and very different.

The law is one thing; the planetary public discourse on drugs, and its local manifestations, is another; and the reality is something else again. They are very different.

I'm happy that the "classic/lite" version caused very few mental health problems, the latest heavily laced hybrid versions I'm equally as happy to to say can cause problems especially for those with a pre-dispostion to mental health illness...
>> can cause problems especially for those with a pre-dispostion to mental health illness...

What's that 'especially' doing in there?

'Laced' with what?

Trouble with the modern era is that the millions are now blasting away giving ammo to the powers that be who can count examples of actual proven harm from cannabis almost in double figures...

And of course the young these days are tooting and licking up white powders out of US and Chinese laboratories containing God knows what, stuff I would be very circumspect with. But I was always circumspect. Only idiots aren't with this sort of thing. Problem is everything conspires to make most people idiots, today more than ever. What are your nippers sampling tonight? Even they don't know, silly ignorant little victims that they are. And it's your damn fault, because you don't know anything either (this isn't personal Rob. I am addressing the nation).

'Classic/lite' indeed! If you only knew....
>> there has been a subtle change over the years....

Yes, subtle is the word. The trouble with cannabis is that on the whole it's a bit on the subtle side.

Classic? Lite? Sorry comrade but you absolutely haven't a clue. There was always heavyweight weed that had the susceptible lying on their backs with eyes crossed going, wow, Jeez, man...

'The road to ruin' is tabloid hogwash. Connoisseurs I understand don't like skunk much because it's a bit coarse and not complex enough. But as for having unprecedented psychic effects on people is concerned, do me a favour.

I know by the way that of the tiny percentage of young folk who display psychotic symptoms after heavy cannabis use, a disproportionately high percentage have been using skunk. The obvious reason for that is that it is most generally available on the street.

When young people harm themselves with drugs or in other ways you don't look for the reasons in their recent lives but well upstream in infancy and their relations with their parents, families and surroundings.

"Not just about being high".

I doubt that the average coffee shop customer is seeking anything else.

Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - zookeeper
If people want to smoke gear all day they should move into the flats that i live in
we had a notice through the other day from the housing office ' random swabbing of hands
by the police compulsory....and drug sniffer dogs will be operating on the landings (15 floors)

good eh?
Again did you see the film and what did you think of the comments by the doctors and the professor from Spain?
Yes I saw the film. Cannabis may well have components that are useful in the treatment of various diseases in much the same way as do many other plants do.

However most people using the stuff aren't using it for its alleged medical benefits.

Don't have a problem if people want to take the stuff but they become a bit tiresome to be around after a while. Used to work with a guy who smoked a lot of the stuff and he couldn't concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes and was inclined to just disappear when he felt like it. He got fired at the end of the day

Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - Runfer D'Hills
I don't really care if anyone wants to smoke cannabis, that's up to them. It's not for me though.

I find those who tend to over-indulge such things, as indeed with those who drink too much tend to be among life's weaker minded souls. Not usually the sort I'd want to spend too much time with to be honest. As with all generalisations there will be exceptions I suppose.
I agree

it's a bit chicken and egg though

Are the more inadequate types attracted to alcohol and drugs or does over indulgence in drugs and alcohol turn you into a weak and inadequate type?
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - Runfer D'Hills
Good debating point CG, I think I'll open a bottle of red and contemplate it...

:-)
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - DP
I've always been able to take or leave alcohol, and was much the same with cannabis when I used it fairly regularly. I never found it to be habit forming or destructive in any way. I'd enjoy a smoke at the weekends with friends in the same way I might enjoy a few pints down the pub with them, but if I had something else to do and didn't touch the stuff for a few weeks, it was no big deal. I could have it in my possession for a week and never feel the need to touch it.

Apart from speed, once (horrible), I have never dabbled with anything else, or felt the need to. I find it hard to comprehend why alcohol is legal when cannabis is not, given the huge contribution alcohol makes to family breakdowns, domestic violence, unemployment, public disorder and criminal damage/vandalism.

Having been around a lot of people who smoke cannabis, I have NEVER seen an act of violence, vandalism or aggression as a result of smoking. Generally lots of laughter, sleeping where you fall, and bumper business for the local late night garage / convenience store when you descend at about 10:00 for crisps, sweets and chocolate to satisfy the munchies. :-)

Oh, and no hangover. Ever.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 30 Apr 12 at 10:57
Apologies DP - I can only give you one green thumb where as I'd like to give you ten.
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - Pat
>>I find it hard to comprehend why alcohol is legal when cannabis is not, given the huge contribution alcohol makes to family breakdowns, domestic violence, unemployment, public disorder and criminal damage/vandalism.
<<

That, of course, is comparing cannabis in moderation with alcohol in excess.

Pat
>> That, of course, is comparing cannabis in moderation with alcohol in excess.

Cannabis is inherently moderate. Smoking more and more doesn't make people higher and higher. They reach a certain point and after that they are just wasting the weed and choking themselves with smoke. However much they smoke they won't poison themselves.

Drink is progressive though. If people drink more and more they do get drunker and drunker. Euphoria gives way to increasing stupidity, impulsiveness, noisiness and a progressive but often radical loss of judgment and physical coordination. Keep it up and they can die of alcohol poisoning. Many have.

Cannabis is more or less harmless. Alcohol is extremely dangerous in foolish untutored young hands.
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - SteelSpark
>> Cannabis is more or less harmless. Alcohol is extremely dangerous in foolish untutored young hands.

Quite right and yet just this morning I was listening to a report about the amount of time the police waste on closing down cannabis farms.

Millions of pounds and countless police house.

If we really want to waste money, we should perhaps arbitrarily make...say...milk, illegal. Then we could have dedicated police units tracking down milk farmers, and see what inventive ways criminal gangs can find to farm it.

Not easy to hide a herd of cows in a 3 bed semi...
>> Not easy to hide a herd of cows in a 3 bed semi...

Not easy, but it must be possible. There are well-authenticated tales of ponies being kept in high-rise flats in some of the more, er, transient areas of London, and going up and down in the lift...

Nice to see you back SS.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 30 Apr 12 at 13:51
What ! That London is a sure wonderful place - even the Ponies get high !
In a previous life I once smoked cannabis resin from a Friday evening until Sunday night without being any more 'under the influence' than I was on the Friday night, I then rode my Lambretta GT200 home without incident.

Compare that with a night on the sherbet.
 Coffee shops in Amsterdam. - SteelSpark
Interesting to read here about an apparent change in potency over the years.

It's over 10 years since I last had some, and even then I was a very occasional user. It sounds like the increased potency and my advancing years means that I should continue to avoid :)

Latest Forum Posts