Non-motoring > residential SAM missiles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 14

residential SAM missiles - zookeeper
I wonder if they will deploy javelin ?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17884897
 residential SAM missiles - R.P.
DM reports them as "high velocity SAMs" what point would a low velocity one have ? I think its a classic propaganda coup. So any potential baddies " know"
 residential SAM missiles - NortonES2
Flak tower days again. Is there a zoo nearby?
 residential SAM missiles - zookeeper
Is there a zoo nearby? wouldnt know....never been to one
 residential SAM missiles - Dutchie
Attack from low flying jets maybe.SAM missile on you'r roof.wow>:)
 residential SAM missiles - madf
When Scotland gets independence I will be installing JOCK anti personnel missiles. SAM ones are of course designed for former Page three models.
 residential SAM missiles - sooty123
it's a misnaming from the dw, high velocity missile is part of it's name. It's better know by the first part of it's name starstreak. I don't think it's been decided whether to deploy it or not yet.
 residential SAM missiles - Old Navy
It would be a brave operator who put a missile through a jumbo jet a bit off the standard approach into Heathrow. That is a pension trap. :-)

It is called deterrence, let the bad guys know what they may be up against, same as the exercises on the Thames and well armed people in prominent positions, they are not going to machine gun the crowds (hopefully). It worked when the riot police were deployed (too late) after the riots. All the brave scumbags disappeared back under their stones.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 29 Apr 12 at 18:44
 residential SAM missiles - Zero
Weapons free would only be allowed at a specific known identified threat. Its eta at the launch point would be known, and you can be sure that if there was a known identified threat in the air, there would be nothing else flying within a 100 miles. Clearly to meet such a tight and demanding set of protocols would need early (at least an hour out) threat identification.

Not practical. as ON says its for "show"

Primary defence would have to be RAF interception, where much closer visual interception and targeting can be carried out.
 residential SAM missiles - Armel Coussine
As a hack I covered the Franco-African Summit - an annual event a bit like the Commonwealth Conference - in the Lorraine Spa town Vittel, in 1983 I think. Crotale missiles were ostentatiously placed on hilltops round the town, but no one really thought an air attack was imminent.

If they put one on your roof don't stand behind it though. Better safe than sorry.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 29 Apr 12 at 19:09
 residential SAM missiles - Focusless
Sounds like quite an impressive piece of technology:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starstreak_%28missile%29

"After launch the missile accelerates to approximately Mach 3.5, at which point it launches three laser beam riding submunitions. The use of three submunitions increases the likelihood of a successful hit on the target."

"When the missile is a safe distance from the operator the second stage fires, which rapidly accelerates the missile to burn out velocity of about Mach 3.5 four hundred meters away from the operator."

So that's 0-Mach 3.5 (~2300mph?) in 400 metres... :o

"The missiles are guided by two laser beams projected into a two dimensional matrix by the aiming unit. The laser is modulated according to its position in the projected matrix, this modulation is detected by each sub-munition and allows it to determine any steering correction. The sub-munitions steer by briefly decelerating the rotating fore-body with a clutch. The front wings then steer the missile in the appropriate direction. The three sub-munitions fly in a formation about 1.5 meters in radius, and have enough kinetic energy to maneuver to meet a target evading at 9G at 7,000 meters."
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 29 Apr 12 at 19:56
>> The three sub-munitions fly in a formation
>> about 1.5 meters in radius, and have enough kinetic energy to maneuver to meet a
>> target evading at 9G at 7,000 meters."
>>

Assuming it actually works, it should not have too much of a problem with a low speed jumbo jet doing a 1G turn then.
 residential SAM missiles - Focusless
:)

Can't see anything in that article about what happens if it misses - can it be made to explode by the operator before it hits something on the ground?
 residential SAM missiles - Zero
whats worse? the wreckage of a jumbo spread down Oxford Street, or a missile strike on Centre Point?
>> :)
>>
>> Can't see anything in that article about what happens if it misses - can it
>> be made to explode by the operator before it hits something on the ground?
>>

I would not trust any missile that needs operator intervention after pressing the fire button. Missiles these days should be clever enough to sort themselves out. Trying to manually guide a Mach 3.5 missile should be fun, not your average Scalextric. :-)
Latest Forum Posts