Non-motoring > TV+sound upgrade Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 58

TV+sound upgrade - Focusless
We're looking to upgrade our ancient 32" non-HD LCD TV to a 40" HD (the TV sits in a sort of alcove which limits the size). The current TV is connected to one of my old hi-fis, which puts out reasonable sound, but Mrs F demands it is replaced with something less aesthetically challenging.

With a limited budget, current plan is for something like this £500 Samsung:
www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ue40d5520-full-hd-40-led-tv-10078505-pdt.html

together with a £200 Samsung Blu-ray 2.1ch sound system:
www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-D5200-Blu-ray-Cinema-System/dp/B004S5ZRXS/

Some points:
- we've had a 5.1ch system before and aren't bothered about having a full surround sound system, and extra wires that go with it
- not convinced soundbars are the way to go, and would still need a Blu-ray player
- I'm aware both units have internet connectivity, which would appear to be OTT
- won't be replacing our standard def PVR for a while

Any comments/suggestions?
Perhaps this new-for-2012 Samsung might be a better buy - no internet (supplied by the Blu-ray player), so better value at £450:
www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-5-ue40eh5000-full-hd-40-led-tv-12350447-pdt.html
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
Both the Samsongs are 50Hz, the more it hurts the better, Zed's Sony has a lot of Hurts.
>> Both the Samsongs are 50Hz, the more it hurts the better, Zed's Sony has a
>> lot of Hurts.

Yes, I spotted that - do you think it makes much difference in practise?
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
>>do you think it makes much difference in practise?<<

Haha! - good question bwana, mines a 600Hz jobbie:

www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42G30B-42-inch-Internet-Ready-Freeview/dp/B004QWYPOA

Amazing pic on HD + Blu-ray, my 'old' 100Hz Pana was also v/g.

I'd pop along to a showroom and 'see' for yourselves if I were thee.
>> I'd pop along to a showroom and 'see' for yourselves if I were thee.

We were browsing in the local PC World 'megastore' yesterday but didn't specifically compare 50 and 100MHz sets - good excuse to go back :)
 TV+sound upgrade - R.P.
Tee Hee..!
 TV+sound upgrade - Zero
You got shares in Samsung or summink?

I would go with a sony or panasonic tv Like this
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S9DWW2

Internet connection for both units is not OTT, one or other may have facilities you need (like Iplayer, 4-od, etc)

>> You got shares in Samsung or summink?
>>
>> I would go with a sony or panasonic tv Like this
>> www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S9DWW2

:) just worried that Sony stuff tends to be proprietary eg. to add wifi would need an expensive Sony dongle - one of the reviews mentions £80. Might be wrong though. And paying for name? Although that Sony does look to have a good spec.
 TV+sound upgrade - Robbie34
The Samsung model that you are interested in is not rated by Which? However, the Samsung UE40D6100 is a best buy.

I have recewntly bought a Sony 46HX823 from John Lewis. Came with a five year warranty and is internet ready. Which? rates most of the Sony TVs. Personally, I would not buy from PC World. Richer Sounds or John Lewis every time.
>> The Samsung model that you are interested in is not rated by Which? However, the
>> Samsung UE40D6100 is a best buy.

Thanks Robbie. But it's £600+ - a bit more than we want to pay. And I don't think we're as fussy as professional reviewers.

>> I have recewntly bought a Sony 46HX823 from John Lewis.

I've looked at the John Lewis site, and they don't tend to do so many of the cheaper models. I know they do good service, but it does cost.
 TV+sound upgrade - John H
>> Internet connection for both units is not OTT >>

+1

It won't be long before PC and phone are all built in to the standard TV unit.

>> to add wifi would need an expensive Sony dongle >>

Not necessary.
However, I do like the Samsung.

Last edited by: John H on Tue 8 May 12 at 09:53
>> Internet connection for both units is not OTT, one or other may have facilities you
>> need (like Iplayer, 4-od, etc)

Yes - I meant if I've got it in the Blu-ray player, I don't need it in the TV as well, so could get a cheaper one without it?
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 8 May 12 at 09:52
 TV+sound upgrade - Zero
>> >> Internet connection for both units is not OTT, one or other may have facilities
>> you
>> >> need (like Iplayer, 4-od, etc)
>>
>> Yes - I meant if I've got it in the Blu-ray player, I don't need
>> it in the TV as well, so could get a cheaper one without it?

No, facilities over the net vary by maker, some are good and some are not, and varies by device, and microcode. I have three audio devices net connected, TV, BlueRay, and Humax.
Also its easier to update software on the device.

One or other of them has a feature that the others don't that is useful. They are all connected by a Netgear 4 way internet over mains hub. Simple and elegant solution, wireless is not a factor.
 TV+sound upgrade - Iffy
All the reports I've heard about internet over a telly suggest it is limited, cranky, generally user unfriendly and not worth the bother.

An industry bloke gave a percentage figure of sets connected out of sets bought and it's tiny.

In other words, few people who buy internet connected tellys use the feature.

TV+sound upgrade - R.P.
Vote for iPlayer. BT Vision has this provision - superb...
 TV+sound upgrade - Robbie34
The Internet connection on my Sony is superb. I'm amazed how good You Tube is, and of course I Player is far better than on my PC as it's just like watching the original programme. I've got 30MB connection from Virgin Media.

Sony have their own channel on the TV and it's possible to watch some of the latest films. I've not looked into how much they charge.
 TV+sound upgrade - Zero
Nicole uses the 5OD and BBC Iplayer net features on our set extensively. I use the tele for youtube (i have a remote app on the iPhone that makes entering url strings easy)

The BBC and DTI is laying plans for the COMPLETE shut down of over the air audio visual media as we know it, for delivery over the net (and mobile networks who may well utilise the empty frequencies)

15 years is the proposed timescale.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 8 May 12 at 12:02
 TV+sound upgrade - bathtub tom
>>The BBC and DTI is laying plans for the COMPLETE shut down of over the air audio visual media as we know it, for delivery over the net (and mobile networks who may well utilise the empty frequencies)
15 years is the proposed timescale.

Far enough away not to bother me, or most of us probably. ;>)
Went for a Panny in the end:
www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-L37E5B-37-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0079WKG5Q/

Seriously considered Z's Sony with the 100MHz display, but although it would have been cheaper, some of the reviews mentioned a narrow viewing angle which would have been a problem with our lounge geography. Chose the Panny over the Samsung (UE37ES5500) because it seemed like a safer option; both looked good in the shops.

Paid an extra £10 and bought it from PC World rather than Amazon, but it qualifies for their '£10 cash for every goal England scores' promotion. So... C'MON ENGLAND!! :)
 TV+sound upgrade - Kevin
>it qualifies for their '£10 cash for every goal England scores' promotion.

Difficult to go wrong with Panasonic TVs but pray that it doesn't say in the smallprint that you have to pay them £10 for every goal conceded ;-)
Mmm... good point! Although the guy in the shop did say that own goals don't count :(
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 7 Jun 12 at 23:27
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
Good telly m8 - now comes the sound upgrade as per the OP.

Telly is new for 2012 but still no Lovefilm (only Netflix) same as my 'old' Plasma!
>> Good telly m8 - now comes the sound upgrade as per the OP.

Well actually I've got that as well, but it's complicated...

Was browsing in RicherSounds and mentioned I was looking for a 2.1 Blu-Ray system, preferably with built-in WiFi, and chap pointed me at this Samsung:
www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/samsung/hte4200/sams-hte4200

I was a bit surprised it had WiFi for £200, but he assured me it did. And if you open up Networking under the Specifications tab on the web page, you can see a green tick next to Wireless Connection. So I bought one.

But, guess what - it doesn't, as I found out when going through the setup process and it asked me to plug something into the LAN port or connect a wireless dongle.

Rang the shop up yesterday and they said that the wording on the Specification is 'Whether a wireless or, Wi-Fi, connection is included as standard or optional' ie. the tick indicates it might just be optional. That wasn't how I read it, and since speaking to them I've checked other systems such as this Sony:
www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/sony/bdv-l600/sony-bdvl600

and you can see in this one's Specification/Networking the Wireless Connection is given as 'Optional' - that's what it should say in the Samsung's spec.

So currently mulling over whether to take it back (to Reading, although I got it from Cambridge where we were for a couple of days earlier in the week) or live with it...
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
Ahem! - how's about this one then:

www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDVEF220-Blu-ray-Theatre-System/dp/B007NXAD9U/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
 TV+sound upgrade - sherlock47
>> Ahem! - how's about this one then:
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDVEF220-Blu-ray-Theatre-System/dp/B007NXAD9U/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
>>

But WiFi appears to be an optional extra!

Quote.... Forget Cables

Just connect a USB Wireless LAN adaptor to this Wi-Fi ready system and you're ready to take advantage of worlds of online entertainment. Access on demand services, share photos and music, stream content from your PC. Not a wire in sight.
 TV+sound upgrade - Stuartli
My Panasonic 42in plasma (one of the first SmartTVs) is connected via Ethernet cable to my PC and also a Panasonic DT310 Blu-Ray player (wireless connection in this case to the router), the latter device adding even more versatility services wise.
Returned Samung sound system to Richer Sounds earlier, no problem getting a refund, so bonus point to them.

Watching a bit of the tennis currently on ITV1 HD and it's obvious that the sound (through the TV speakers) is slightly out of sync with the picture - when someone serves, the ball is halfway to the net before you hear the sound of racket on ball. Switch to 'normal' ITV1 and it's ok.

Anyone else get this?
 TV+sound upgrade - sherlock47
Do you have a facility to resync the sound with a delay on your HD TV? IIRC my Humax HD receiver has that facility.

Cannot check on my TV as I am not in UK at the mo.
IIRC I have seen an option to vary a delay between the picture and the sound, but I think that must have been in the blu-ray player/sound system I've just returned - there doesn't appear to be anything in the TV's settings.
 TV+sound upgrade - Zero
your tele must be really broke. I've got football on ITVHD. *

RE synch in general, Never had it on the TV, but then its only HD on Freesat, HD on the freeview HUMAX, is sometimes briefly slightly out of synch but it quickly corrects.

You just gotta love the Italian National anthem, it never stops!
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 10 Jun 12 at 16:56
 TV+sound upgrade - Iffy
...your tele must be really broke. I've got football on ITVHD...

It's targeted transmission - they send football to lower-class, scuzzy households, and tennis to the better classes.

TV+sound upgrade - Zero
I must have got my set on QVC then.
 TV+sound upgrade - Iffy
Only three minutes to go.

TV+sound upgrade - R.P.
I forgot ! Ended up watching the Dusk to Dawn Enduro - real bike stuff...
 TV+sound upgrade - Zero
Saved from being branded a "lower-class, scuzzy household"
 TV+sound upgrade - R.P.
Guess so ! I reckon that the Irish (Rugby) Nat Anthem is a good 'un !
 TV+sound upgrade - Zero
Didn't inspire them to greater things tho did it.
 TV+sound upgrade - Duncan
>> I reckon that the Irish (Rugby) Nat Anthem is a good 'un !
>>

Which one?

Whenever I watch the Irish play (Rugby) football, they seem to play two anthems. One of which, some of the players know some of the words (A bit like John Redwood with the Welsh anthem, remember?). The other anthem nobody knows any of the words!
>> Returned Samung sound system to Richer Sounds

...and have replaced it with one of these:
www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-sc-btt362_Surround-Sound-System_review

Paid £220 for a Panasonic refurbished one on ebay - no batteries for the remote but otherwise as new. And so much better than the Samsung, as it should be for the (retail) price.

System sounds great now, and connected up to the wifi straight away. Just in time for the footy :)

BTW thinking of signing up to Acetrax - both TV and Blu-ray player have an app for streaming their films, sort of on-line Blockbuster. No subscription, just PAYG, so no real 'risk', but has anyone tried them?
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 15 Jun 12 at 09:50
>> Watching a bit of the tennis currently on ITV1 HD and it's obvious that the
>> sound (through the TV speakers) is slightly out of sync with the picture - when
>> someone serves, the ball is halfway to the net before you hear the sound of
>> racket on ball. Switch to 'normal' ITV1 and it's ok.

It's getting pretty irritating now, and it was also out of sync streaming our free Acetrax film over the Blu-ray wifi into the TV, with the sound coming out of the Blu-ray's 2.1 speakers. (The TV is connected to the player via HDMI using ARC ie. both pictures and sound go down the same cable.)

There is an audio delay setting in the player, and it was set to 250ms. But changing that to 0ms didn't seem to make much difference - perhaps only applies when playing a disc?

I've emailed Panasonic support.
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
Try a firmware upgrade (yes, I know its a new TV)
Thanks Dog - I forgot to mention that I have upgraded both the TV and the player.
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
I must admit I'm well pleased with my Panasonic Plasma telly, the sound is typical for a flatty but I run it through an old Arcam amp with some old Sony speakers when I watch an alf decent film on Blu-ray.

I purchased the TV and the Blu-ray locally (a first for me) it worked out cheaper than Amazon and they threw in a 5 year guarantee as well.

Good thing about buying local of course is that any probs and they are more-than happy to help.

www.hbh-woolacotts.co.uk/
>> Good thing about buying local of course is that any probs and they are more-than
>> happy to help.

I got mine from the local PC World so taking it back is an option, although whether they'll be quite so happy to help... :)
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
You are not alone with that problem it seems: tinyurl.com/6nn5x3z (Bing search)

I'd be inclined to 'lean on' PC World, mention the sale of goods act + generally jump up & down :)

Thanks again Dog. I'd already found some of those links, including the top 2, but haven't found a solution yet. One of the links talks about audio delay settings in service menus, but I haven't yet found out how to access the service menu for my model (TX-L37E5B), assuming there is one.

PC World is a last resort - I'm at least going to attempt to discuss it with Panasonic first (no reply yet).
>> PC World is a last resort - I'm at least going to attempt to discuss
>> it with Panasonic first (no reply yet).

Gave up waiting for an email reply so rang them, and after a few menus got through to a helpful human pretty quickly. He basically said if a factory reset doesn't fix it then take it back, so I've done one, and it does seem to have improved things.

I'm supposed to be working now so I'll have a longer look this evening.
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
I emailed 'my man' at Woolacotts where I bought my TV etc. from to see if he'd come across the problem before.

No reply as yet :)
>> I emailed 'my man' at Woolacotts where I bought my TV etc. from to see
>> if he'd come across the problem before.

That's good of you Dog, although Mrs F reports from the lounge that it's now looking ok on all HD channels.

Should have guessed it was just a switch it off/switch it on again (sort of) problem :)
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
The firmware update probably sorted it, I didn't hear from 'my man', I used the email facility on their webpage, it isn't in my sent box though, but hopefully you're all tickety-boo now.
 TV+sound upgrade - Zero
you often need to do a factory reset to make the firmware update work
>> you often need to do a factory reset to make the firmware update work

Ah that might be it (assuming it continues to be ok).
>> Went for a Panny in the end:
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-L37E5B-37-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0079WKG5Q/

Mmm... 'no signal'. Plugged aerial into another TV, no problem. Did a factory reset on the Panny (does a channel scan on restart), still 'no signal'. Displays picture being picked up by PVR on same aerial no problem.

Bit late to take back to the local PCW/Currys tonight, but if it's still the same tomorrow that's what I'll do.

And it's good in a way - I mentioned in another thread that the sound was out of sync when watching HD channels. Well although I thought a factory reset had cured it, it became apparent that it hadn't. I was working up to taking it back, but I was worried I might have trouble proving there was a problem. Not having a picture is more likely to swing it in my favour :)
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 2 Aug 12 at 19:50
 TV+sound upgrade - Dog
Being it was a 'new for 2012' model, and you gave more-than a monkey for it, the critter has to be replaced so that you're 100% happy with it, as I am with my 42 incher.
 TV+sound upgrade - Zero
I would suggest that the same model of Panny might exhibit the same sync problem as you had before. You might want to kill two birds with one stone by not accepting a direct model for model replacement.
The Curry's receipt say they'll offer an exchange if it's within 21 days of purchase, so presumably I'll have to work a bit harder to change it for something else now.

I rang up their 'knowhow' line earlier to double-check I hadn't missed anything obvious (not the frustrating experience I thought it might be), and he offered to book it in for repair for me. But I said I'd take it back to the shop in the hope they would do a straight swap rather than send it off for repair and leave me without a TV for the weekend.

Yes, I am worried that a replacement would have the same sound sync problem, but I don't mind giving it one more go - I'd feel happier making a decision based on a sample size of 2 rather than one.
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 2 Aug 12 at 20:12
Of course it might all be fine again tomorrow morning, which would be a nuisance.
The sick Panny was taken away Saturday (by Curry's Knowhow), back today, and so far it all seems ok. I've updated the software from 1.250 to 1.256; bit surprised they didn't send it back with the latest. Delivery chap hung around to make sure it was all working before getting my signature.

Fingers crossed now that this was a one-off; the Video7 it replaced didn't put a foot wrong during the 7 years we had it.
Latest Forum Posts