Non-motoring > Holiday cottage recommendation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 16

Holiday cottage recommendation - Badwolf
Hello all,

If any of you are wondering where to go this year and fancy a 'stay-cation', as our American cousins would say, then I can heartily recommend www.lanefarmcottages.co.uk . The cottages are in a tiny village called Holme, about four miles from Holmfirth in Yorkshire.

Myself and eight friends have just spent the weekend there for my stag do and had a wonderful time. The cottages really are excellent with Egyptian cotton towels, lovely bedding and top-notch toiletries provided. There are plenty of walks around the area and the views from the patio are lovely. There's a very nice pub a ten minute stroll away that serves reasonably priced, and very tasty, food.

Cheers.

B

PS - I would just like to point out that I have no connection to, or financial interest in, the cottages - I just wanted to recommend them as I enjoyed staying there so much.
 Holiday cottage recommendation - Fenlander
Egyptian cotton indeed. I'm not sure I'd be happy with the chance I might be internally accessed though!
>> I'm not sure I'd be happy with the chance I might be
>> internally accessed though!

Oh, I don't know. We found it quite handy...
 Holiday cottage recommendation - Perky Penguin
Auchan Calais have diesel at euros 1.139 today which, at thetourist exchange rate is £1.04 a litre.
 Holiday cottage recommendation - Iffy
Badwolf,

Pleased you had a good time.

And well done for supporting the local economy by spending a bit while you were there.

I bet the publican was very pleased to see you and your hungry and thirsty chums.

>> I bet the publican was very pleased to see you and your hungry and thirsty
>> chums.

I'll wager she was. We must have been in there for only a couple of hours and the bill was £285! Mind you, that did include two drinks of dubious origin that my cohorts requested the barstaff to create.

It really was a corking weekend. I'm too old for the 'party, party, party' type of stag do and really just wanted a quiet weekend to relax and spend time with the friends that mean the most to me. And that is exactly what I got.

The wedding's four weeks tomorrow and I can't ruddy wait. Just written my speech and I'm feeling like a kid before Christmas!
...include two drinks of dubious origin that my cohorts requested the barstaff to create...

There was a cautionary tale about this a few years ago.

A groom drank a concoction of a shot from every optic in a pint glass.

It was the last thing he did.

The coroner at his inquest, rightly or wrongly, criticised the best man for not stepping in.

Worth bearing in mind for anyone due to be involved in a stag do.

Holiday cottage recommendation - MD
One coming up soon. The daughters intended. Guess what? I ain't going. I love a beer or five, but I detest 'Stag' do's.

M.
 Holiday cottage recommendation - -
I'm with you there Martin, they don't ask me any more.

More's the point the amount of money they spend on this sort of thing and the wedding itself would set the couple up very well if used more wisely instead of a single day of excess.

Bah humbug.

No offence meant BW and i hope you'll have all the luck in the world.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 29 Apr 10 at 20:34
 Holiday cottage recommendation - MD
I guess BW had a great time amongst like minded intelligent company. I don't do brain deads either. I wish you all the best Bad boy!!

Martin
 Holiday cottage recommendation - Alastairw
Oh I quite a agree gb. A couple I know spent thousand on their wedding. Several years later, they cant keep up with the mortgage and have to move in with parents. I'm sure 'x' thousand pounds would have gone a long way to keeping them in their own home.

NB: My own wedding cost a grand total of £150, including licence, registry office and rings. The subsequent divorce, 11 years later, cost much more... ( I got £15 back for the ring though - thanks, Cash My Gold!)
Thanks for the good wishes, MD. Bad Boy indeed... ;-)

Ifithelps - I know exactly what you mean and caution was exercised. About the only thing that did get exercise all weekend! The concoctions that I was given were in a long glass and had a mixer in them. After the second (which was bleedin' awful - like mouthwash), I indicated my reluctance to persevere and this was respected and acted upon. However, not all stag parties are as sensible as mine, of course. More's the pity.

Gordon, I know exactly what you mean about stag dos. I'm lucky in that my 'circle' are all throughly decent coves and it's highly unlikely that any of us will have a 'full-on' stag do when the time comes. Even when we went to Budapest for my friend Vodka Steve's stag do, it was a fairly restrained affair, despite his moniker. Having a snowball fight on the walls of the old town will remain as one of my favourite memories.

I do agree with the comments about how much weddings cost these days. It's ludicrous the price some people pay. We're not having a small do (50 day, 120 evening) but even so we've kept a lid on it by doing things ourselves like the invitations, arranging favours, and putting on a sweetie buffet. I reckon that the whole caboodle, including honeymoon, will come in at around £6k. And we've already saved £3k. Hopefully, the lion's share of our honeymoon will be covered as well as we've been frightfully vulgar and asked for cash as presents. We don't need anything for the house and I don't want to spend the week in between the wedding and the honeymoon listing twenty toasters and fifteen juicers on fleabay!
Last edited by: Badwolf on Fri 30 Apr 10 at 11:16
 Holiday cottage recommendation - BobbyG
I have often thought that rather than thousands being spent on a wedding, and in turn the happy couple receiving lots of presents they won't want or need, then we should adopt a system whereby the guest pays for their meal instead!!

So the bride gets her big day with lots of folk there, but the family / parents or whoever do not need to be hugely out of pocket for a "memory"
 Holiday cottage recommendation - Runfer D'Hills
Could this be the thoughts of a Scotsman with daughter/s perhaps ?

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Fri 30 Apr 10 at 12:18
...Ifithelps - I know exactly what you mean and caution was exercised....

Badwolf,

I thought it would have been, and I'm sure you didn't think I was trying to rain on your parade with the story of the lad who died from alcohol poisoning.

As you say, a little bit of common sense does need to be exercised and a good time can be had without near fatal doses of booze.

Looks like your quite nicely sorted for the wedding and the honeymoon.

It all depends on your resources, but I'd have thought £6K was plenty, although it sounds as if you will not have the expense of setting up house.

Happily, we live in a land of plenty and very few of us want for anything.

Particularly those of us who get up in the morning and set about earning/making some money.

>> ...Ifithelps - I know exactly what you mean and caution was exercised....
>>
>> Badwolf
>>
>> I thought it would have been and I'm sure you didn't think I was trying
>> to rain on your parade with the story of the lad who died from alcohol
>> poisoning.

Not at all, IIH, not at all.
 Holiday cottage recommendation - BobbyG
Humph, I have already told her where Gretna is!!! :-)
Latest Forum Posts