Non-motoring > Thank you Gordy. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: midlifecrisis Replies: 65

Thank you Gordy. - midlifecrisis
I would like to thank Gordon Brown for giving me the biggest laugh I've had for a long time.

Grandma Duffy would like to ask if you need one 'facepalm' or two!

Sir..you are an idiot!
 Thank you Gordy. - Focusless
Some people could perhaps be described as bigots based on their statements/beliefs - do we know if she said anything that might have led GB to put her in that category?
 Thank you Gordy. - Soupytwist
Of course she didn't, she's an absolute salt of the earth type whose beliefs are what made this country great. How dare the Prime Minister express an opinion about her that is anything less than obsequiously complimentary.

Sorry, I came over all screechingly jump to conclusiony there. Can I have a job a Sky News?
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
anyone tried to arrest him for stealing the sky microphone?
 Thank you Gordy. - midlifecrisis
She dared to raise some points and disagree with him. Put anybody that's not a plastic drone in front of him and he's hopeless.

She said nothing racist, nothing discriminatory, merely disagreed with him!

Funnily enough I actually like the leader of my country to show judgement. He needs to be calm under pressure & still exercise good judgement.

He got put under very little pressure, flapped (forgot his mic), then used appalling judgement (to describe one of his lifelong supporters as a bigot).

The man is an ignorant idiot. (I don't know what was better. The microphone or the 'head in hands' shot on the TV)

Last edited by: midlifecrisis on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 14:07
 Thank you Gordy. - Fenlander
He's a fool if he thinks you can freely say what you want in his position these days with all the media and personal recording electronics about.

Unless you're naked in the middle of a 100acre field there's always a chance what you say will be heard/recorded..... naive to think otherwise.
 Thank you Gordy. - lancara
I assume they don't allow him to have Nokias anymore
 Thank you Gordy. - MrTee43
Moments like this show his true colours.

Does anybody still not believe the previous "bully" accusations.

Anybody who wants another 5 years of Gordo, Oily Mandleson and the Badger want their heads testing.
 Thank you Gordy. - Old Navy
The surveillance society bites back, now he knows how many motorists feel.
 Thank you Gordy. - rtj70
Let us hope voters take all the info like this into consideration when voting. I can say now I haven't voted for Labour (postal vote as we're away)! And that was before he called an old woman a bigot.
 Thank you Gordy. - MD
>> He's a fool if he thinks you can freely say what you want in his
>> position these days with all the media and personal recording electronics about.
>>
>> Unless you're naked in the middle of a 100acre field there's always a chance what
>> you say will be heard/recorded..... naive to think otherwise.
>>
And Google (what on) Earth will 'ave 'ee.

Country's completely tuckered me ol' Mates.

RF, Lud & Pat to form new Government. NOT in Power, but in Office. Suits me Sir, then I might vote.

Best regards from desperate Devon. M
 Thank you Gordy. - Tooslow
I thought Devon had declared independence after the cider tax rise?
JH
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
they declared UDI. The locals voted for it cos they got it mixed up with IUD ad thought it was an invitation for free love.
 Thank you Gordy. - MD
>> I thought Devon had declared independence after the cider tax rise?
>> JH
>>
Chucked out I believe.

Just like this Government (sic) should be.

M
 Thank you Gordy. - Bromptonaut
So all this got in the public domain 'cos Sky leaked something picked up by a stray live mike?

Let's say you'd just been in a meeting with a difficult customer (or member of the public if you work in govt). You do your stuff and then when you're back in home territory you let rip about the experience. Only trouble is you've been bugged.
 Thank you Gordy. - Stuu
The trouble is that he isnt a businessman, he runs our country and if he wants to set himself up as some kind of morally sound leader as well as a financial messiah, he needs to practice what he preaches.
Clearly he doesnt and his contempt for an ordinary member of the public is loathsome as her opinion is just as important as anyone elses, even if you dont personally agree with her - you still have to maintain respect for all peoples views because THAT is who he represents.
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
It wasnt so much the "biggot" comment, we all have our prejudices about something, it was the "who set me up with ~ that woman ~" said in a contemptous tone.
 Thank you Gordy. - R.P.
You're right Zero - I still don't get apologising for something only if you've been caught - 98% of apologies before a Court are the same although I saw a couple of genuine ones...
 Thank you Gordy. - Bellboy
i feel sorry for the guy
 Thank you Gordy. - MrTee43
Why ?

He's an arrogant bulley, with a false smile, incompetent too.

But when he gets kicked out, he will sail off into the sunset to pick up his millions like his mate.

Edit

Mate is the wrong word, partner in crime more like !
Last edited by: MrTee43 on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 23:02
because we all get caught out sometimes
i know i do in my job
the smile cant be permanent
and im no fan of him and his unelected status
 Thank you Gordy. - Avant
What worries me is that he may say something like that (without being miked up) every time he gets back into his car after meeting a voter who disagrees with him. Does he really hold us in such contempt?

You have to question the motives of any politician (of whatever party) who thinks like that. They're not all the same - I know personally several who genuinely want to do good for their country - but you have to hunt for them.
Last edited by: Avant on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 23:07
but you have to hunt for them.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> well theres certainly a few i would like to hunt
 Thank you Gordy. - Robin O'Reliant
Voting for Gordon in the hope he will help the economy to recover is like getting sick and going to Dr Harold Shipman for a cure.
 Thank you Gordy. - BobbyG
I am no fan of his but what do you guys expect? Do you think he goes behind closed doors and talks football results? And do you think any of the other leaders are any different?

He is no different to any of us, having a bad day at the office, will go behind a closed door, give an expletive or lean on a colleague for support.

He was guilty simply of forgetting he had the mic.

Why should he be wearing a mic? This whole election campaign is going so American and i detest it. Like I detest most politicians!t
 Thank you Gordy. - Pat
Can any of you put your hand on your heart and say you've never done the same thing?

I shall have my PR hat on for 3 days this weekend at Peterborough. The smile will be fixed and I shall be polite at all times.
We will raise money for the Charity and it will be hard work to be 'on duty' for 3 days, but we'll all pull together and do what we have to do.

When it's over, in the evening, over a BBQ we'll all relax and none of us would be able to say we haven't done that.

We'll also have a rousing chorus of Alice:)

Pat
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 3 May 10 at 02:03
 Thank you Gordy. - smokie
I have this odd suspicion that you don't get to the top of anything, whether it's government, business, sport, whatever, without being somewhat smart at what you do, and a bit ruthless and straight talking.

I think it's very unfortunate that it was decided to publish this gaffe. I expect it could have easily been any of the others. Maybe if it had been, they wouldn't have published.

Remember you are voting for a party and it's policies, not the leader, who just happens to be it's leading light at the moment.
 Thank you Gordy. - Auntie Lockbrakes
"Moments like this show his true colours".

Hear hear. Nice to see the latest nail in his political coffin being driven in by his good self.

Thank you Gordy. - Stuu
>>Can any of you put your hand on your heart and say you've never done the same thing?<<

Alot of people do, the issue here is not that everyone does it, but his contempt and disrespect for the voter. He is supposed to be a public servant - being an MP or a minister come with not just practical considerations but moral ones too and the one thing a voter shouldnt ever feel is that they are simply a fly to be swatted away should they get in the way of someones personal agenda.

It is the most serious job in the country and unfortunatly, the man behind the odd smiling public image has a 'your either with me or im against you' attitude - thats not someone who believes in treating people with equal amounts of respect and as such, I find him unworthy on a human level.

Even Hitler was elected...

Thank you Gordy. - smokie
Aha! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
 Thank you Gordy. - Iffy
As I understand it, this was not a stray, live microphone.

Brown asked to be miked-up as part of his election campaigning.

That is why there is also a clear recording of the original conversation.

The man is both arrogant and ignorant if he thinks expressing genuine concerns about the tidal wave of immigration makes someone a bigot.

Thank you Gordy. - R.P.
Rightly or wrongly immigration is a genuine public concern and to ask a question which may be unpalatable to the PC brigade isn't bigoted.
 Thank you Gordy. - Dog
They are all the same surely when they get behind closed doors, its just that Gord has got caught out.
I'm just glad its all over (for us) as we voted yesterday.
Not for him mind but,
if it came to it, I'd rather have another 5 years of Gord Britain than who knows what with the wishy washy Lib-Dems.
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
>> Rightly or wrongly immigration is a genuine public concern and to ask a question which
>> may be unpalatable to the PC brigade isn't bigoted.

I prefer to call it "uncontrolled population growth" and it is a real problem because it stretches resources for all.
 Thank you Gordy. - BiggerBadderDave
"expressing genuine concerns about the tidal wave of immigration "

Yes but the contempt in her tone was obvious when she ranted about the "millions of eastern bloc foreigners what are flooding in, where have they all come from?"
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
He, the joyless, bitter, unelected man with a chip on his shoulder, cant even insult anyone properly.

Lets take a lesson from the UKs number one buffoon, Borice Johnson (BoJo)

when asked about the lib dems he replied to anyone who would listen.

"How can you conceivably trust the Lib Dems! Spineless protoplasmic invertebrate amoebic fibbers - Janus faced!"

Now that is an election insult.
 Thank you Gordy. - Stuu
"millions of eastern bloc foreigners what are flooding in, where have they all come from?"

Eastern europe one would think :-) I think the contempt is ablout the flood rather than where they come from. I think if a million americans turned up they would be no more welcome from an immigration point of view.
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
>> I think if a million americans turned up they would
>> be no more welcome from an immigration point of view.
>>

"Overpaid, oversexed, and over here" were the words used in 1944 I think.
 Thank you Gordy. - Mapmaker
It's very much a 'there but for the grace of God go we all' moment. But he did, and in his position he has to be more careful.

I don't really care what he said to the woman, or what she said to him. But I do care that he might be trying to persuade the Welsh (for the sake of argument) not to drop their nuclear bomb on us, and the moment he leaves them he describes them as Taff bigots. Boom, there goes diplomacy.
 Thank you Gordy. - MD
Does a nuclear bomb go 'Boom'?
 Thank you Gordy. - Mapmaker
I don't imagine it's a quiet blast!

BTW I don't hold with this "unelected" nonsense. We elect our MPs, and they elect a Prime Minister. That's the way it is, always had been and with luck always will be.

Only his constituents vote for the PM.... as MP.

Thank you Gordy. - Stuu
Well as I understand it, Blair said he would go a full term. He didnt. Brown wasnt elected by MPs, he wasnt even elected by his own party. He made sure he was the only candidate. Go democracy!
 Thank you Gordy. - Stuu
Tonight Diane Abbott will be squirming when asked about Her Great Leader. Increasingly Labour body language when asked about him is seemingly more and more 'make it go away'.
Blair must be, as already mentioned ( from his country pile ), laughing into his cornflakes.
>> It's very much a 'there but for the grace of God go we all' moment.
>> But he did and in his position he has to be more careful.

I think it tends to back up the comments that GB isn't a 'people person', whereas his predecessor was (or appeared to be). In this respect I don't think they are all the same.
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
Another insight into Gordy as a person I think. The instant desire to blame someone (Sue I think) with what sounded like vengence in mind. It seems to me he is very much a blame everyone, anyone for his own failings. He really is a bitter and twisted man who thinks he is not getting the love, plaudits and respect he thinks he deserves. Absolutely and completely out of touch with life.
 Thank you Gordy. - R.P.
Mapmaker - really strange you should say that - a new structure has appeared in the Welsh village where I've settled - suspiciously like a missile silo - I'll post a photo later.
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
>> Mapmaker - really strange you should say that - a new structure has appeared in
>> the Welsh village where I've settled - suspiciously like a missile silo - I'll post
>> a photo later.

Its an NLL.

A Nuclear Leek Launcher
 Thank you Gordy. - Duncan
>> >> We'll also have a rousing chorus of Alice:)
>>

Who he?
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
dont start, we have been there and done that one.
 Thank you Gordy. - Duncan
>> dont start we have been there and done that one.
>>

Which one?
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
whos alice.
 Thank you Gordy. - R.P.
Was singing that in Irish Kevin's Bar in Key West a couple of weeks ago - what a place.
>> Was singing that in Irish Kevin's Bar in Key West a couple of weeks ago
>> - what a place.
>>
>>>>>> was in spain last month and particularly tried not to go into the coronation street pub eastenders or irish sallies
much preferred the real bar up a side street run by a korean of all ethnicities,he was loved by his locals and kept feeding us his nibbles as he was glad to see tourists
 Thank you Gordy. - R.P.
Went there 'cos I fancied a pint ( or thereabouts anyway) of ice cold Guinness (it was a very warm evening) we ended up in a little side street bar called the Three Sisters. We made the mistake of assuming that Kevin's was an Irish Theme bar - It wasn't but it sold Guinness....
A psychologist's view:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8649800.stm
 Thank you Gordy. - Fenlander
Glad to see The Tap got a mention in that article.
 Thank you Gordy. - rtj70
I'll borrow this thread (sorry mods maybe I should have started a new one).

Looking at the results for the previous election where my step-son lives... Lib Democrats got the seat but the difference between labour and the liberals was about 670 votes. But the bit that got me wondering was the labour and conservative candidate (this is Manchester Withington) had the same surname. Conservatives in third place by a margin.

Was it coincidence or did the conservatives hope people read the surname on the ballot paper and put a cross? IF anyone is wondering the candidates I mention for Labour and Conservatives were:

Karen Bradley (CON)
Keith Bradley (LAB)

Seems underhand to me.... ballot papers have the surname in larger type for a start. But it is politics. The votes for labour were down 14.3% so I guess the conservative tactic worked for this seat.
 Thank you Gordy. - ....
^^^

Can't help but think Coca Cola missed a marketing trick with this general election.

They could have branded regular cola red, diet blue and zero yellow because at the end of the day whoever you vote for you are going to get a flavour of the same thing.

The people at the top with a pocket full of money and an army of accountants is only going to pay the bare minimum they can get away with in tax, the people at the other end who rely on tax credit(s) doesn't have anything to pay more with which leaves the person in the middle with a mountain of debt to pay off.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 30 Apr 10 at 03:29
 Thank you Gordy. - Zero
there is, absolutley and completely no way you can prevent someone from standing because of their name. Its a concept that shouldnt even be sniffed at. Even someone called Adolf Hilter should be allowed to stand if that is their name.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 30 Apr 10 at 14:42
 Thank you Gordy. - rtj70
The underhand bit I refer to is how many people accidentally voted conservative instead of labour for this seat? The lib dems only won by 600 odd seats.
 Thank you Gordy. - Bromptonaut
^^^^^^

I'm struggling to understand what might be 'underhand'. Anybody who had read the election addresses would know that two parties in seious contention for the seat had, whether by chance or design, selected similarly named candidates. But most people surely vote for the party 'ticket' rather than personally for Mr Bloggs. Nowadays the ballot paper shows the party affiliation and, for the benefit of those still confused the party's logo.

Where there is intent to confuse over affilloation, for example where a Literal Democrat was nominated the courts have allowed the result to stand. They have however intervened when (the same Literal Democrat) attempted to stand in Winchester after changing his name to something very close to that of the Conservative Mr Malone.
 Thank you Gordy. - BobbyG
1. I don't trust any politicians.
2. I don't know who to vote for as I don't know all their manifestos.
3. So I need to listen to what they are saying to make up my mind.
4. I switch off after 5 mins as I find them boring and don't believe what they are saying.
5. Refer to 1.
 Thank you Gordy. - Iffy
City of Durham is a two-horse race between the Lib Dems and Labour.

Both party candidates are female and called Woods.

To avoid confusion, the Labour candidate adopted a hyphenated name.

So it's Roberta Blackman-Woods for Labour and Carol Woods for the Lib Dems.

A sensible solution.
 Its not going well - Zero

The launch of a new Labour poster campaign was interrupted by a car crash

The BBC's James Cook, in Hockley, said it appeared that a dustbin lorry had veered across a roundabout as the occupants shouted in the direction of the Labour event outside the New Bingley Hall community and conference centre.

A green Volkswagen Golf swerved to avoid to lorry and hit the bus shelter, our correspondent said, causing a loud bang and shock among the reporters and security staff gathered close to Mr Brown.

The Golf's driver, unemployed Omed Rashid, 27, said he would be voting Labour next Thursday.

Asked later by one broadcaster if the crash was a metaphor for Labour's election campaign, Lord Mandelson said: "No."

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8653580.stm
 Its not going well - R.P.
"A launch of a poster"

A Launch of a poster ?.......shaking my head in dis-belief....
Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 30 Apr 10 at 23:05
 Thank you Gordy. - Avant
"Both party candidates are female and called Woods."

Time was when the candidates weren't allowed to have their party named on the ballot paper - but it changed I think in the 50s when in a constituency in North Wales three of the candidates were called Hughes and one was called Jones. At the next election 4 years on, three were called Jones and one Hughes. At that point someone cried 'enough'.
Latest Forum Posts