Non-motoring > Why Twitter is important? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 25

Why Twitter is important? - movilogo
Can someone please explain Twitter to me?

Why there is so much craze about it?

I can understand why people use Facebook. But Twitter just seems bonkers.

Like everyone else I did create a Twitter account but since then only used it a bookmarking tool for interesting web URLs.

Why Twitter is important? - Iffy
I don't use or understand it, so twitter is not important to me.

It appears to have become important to sports reporters who appear unable to get quotes directly from footballers.

Why Twitter is important? - -
Same here, can't make head nor tail of it.
 Why Twitter is important? - Crankcase
Like much social networking, it depends on whether your social group actually uses it. Mine does not, so those few people I talk to at all keep in contact in the old fashioned ways we have for fifty years.

But I have young nephews and nieces who always have used social networking of some sort or other, so for them it's the only way they do keep in contact.

Right or wrong, their little faces are a picture when they can't tweet their dinner contents to their mates, and no amount of unsympathetic joshing will cheer them. They "need" Twitter/Facebook - their lives are built around them. Just because mine isn't and I can't imagine it being useful (seems shallow and pointless to me) doesn't make it less valid for them.

Why Twitter is important? - Runfer D'Hills
I absolutely refuse to facetweet. When do these people do any work eh ? Preposterous ! Beginning of the end you know. We'll all end up as gelatinous blobs in glass jars being fed glucose solutions while we communicate with other jellyfish.

Why Twitter is important? - madf
Obviously you don't get it.

If you have no life of your own or are a sad loser, you hang onto the words of others - especially if they are shallow and to the forefront in sport or showbiz or politics: jobs where no real talent is required but a showy exterior and the need to fool some of the people all of the time is essential.

I of course am on Twitter all the time.

tweet me on madafool .com
Last edited by: madf on Wed 16 May 12 at 11:53
 Why Twitter is important? - Robin O'Reliant
>> I absolutely refuse to facetweet. When do these people do any work eh ? Preposterous
>> ! Beginning of the end you know. We'll all end up as gelatinous blobs in
>> glass jars being fed glucose solutions while we communicate with other jellyfish.
>>
>>
Twitter ye not, oh er missus!

I'm not even sure what twitter is, some kind of website for budgies perhaps?
 Why Twitter is important? - John H
You could say that sometimes car4play is used by a few members as an extended twitter, i.e. posts not limited to 140 characters!

I am not on twitter, but to me it is a means of exchanging texts with your group of twits (you can choose to keep it private or public) , or publishing your views to a wider audience who follow you.
Learn how it can be used here
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqDy5BmYKE&feature=youtu.be

They say " "Welcome to Twitter. Find out what’s happening, right now, with the people and organizations you care about."

were you aware of this twitter account?
twitter.com/#!/motoring_forum

I find it useful to follow tweets on events that I am interested in.

For example, in the snow chaos at Heathrow, you were better informed of the up to date status of your flights from following comments on twitter than relying on wither the BAA or the Airlines official public statements.
twitter.com/#!/search/%23heathrow

I also checked out event going on in Bahrain around their uprising anniversary as I was due to go there around that time.
twitter.com/#!/search/%23bahrain
 Why Twitter is important? - devonite
Who put that on There? - I dont mind my posts being screened on here, but i`m not sure i like the idea of them being pasted over there,and all over the place, especially as I dont want an account of my own on Twitter!!
 Why Twitter is important? - Crankcase
Ouch. I didn't realise we were being Twitted either. I expect I clicked something to agree it was ok, or perhaps it wasn't thought important to ask at sign up?

Anyway, I don't think it matters and and I don't think I care but nonetheless I won't post again here until I've thought about it a bit and decided if I'm bothered about it or not.

Why Twitter is important? - Focusless
>> were you aware of this twitter account?
>> twitter.com/#!/motoring_forum

Isn't that mainly for the benefit of members who want to follow forum activity on their smartphones, which can be hooked into twitter feeds?
 Why Twitter is important? - Dave_
As Crankcase says, young people have grown up in a connected, networked world where they expect to be online constantly. To those of us who've come to it later it can seem quite preposterous. My girls (early te ens) are glued to their Blackberry handsets, the younger one facebooks and the older one tweets whilst they both use BB Messenger from the moment they wake up until the moment they go to sleep, school excepted obviously.

I use Twitter for weather and traffic info; to discuss what I'm listening to or watching on the radio or TV; to get insight into breaking news stories; to exchange links and information; and to update my friends on what I'm doing.

To Crankcase: Don't worry about all forum posts from here being tweeted - tweets aren't archived for very long unless they achieve popularity (they "trend") usually for some humourous or controversial reason, otherwise they're lost in the sea of other data.

Everything on here is searchable on Google anyway, just type in this forum's name and your username and you'll be surprised how many results come back and over how long a time period.

In summary, everything you write can be considered public and undeletable, but that's just the way it is these days and we have to live with that fact if we wish to be active online.
 Why Twitter is important? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> In summary, everything you write can be considered public and undeletable, but that's just the
>> way it is these days
>>

It's always been the case.
The postman used to read postcards and telegrams, and telephone operators listened in to calls and gossiped with each other.

In 1970 I stayed with some college friends with someone who lived in one of the last areas in the UK still to have an entirely operator-manned telephone exchange. You phoned someone up by just asking the operator if so-and-so was in. The hosts were on chatty terms with the operator girls, and they would sometimes just pick up the phone for a natter and to pass on some local scandal.

In earlier times servants passed on gossip, and doubtless read private letters.
 Why Twitter is important? - -
>> In earlier times servants passed on gossip, and doubtless read private letters.

Not all Cliff, my parents were in private service for much of their lives, discretion and loyalty was their way, they wouldn't have dreamed of reading something that wasn't for their eyes.

Even us as children knew not to ever speak out of place, we weren't coached as such it just 'seemed' right.

Those in such positions who divulged anything, such as dishonourable alleged butlers who sell scandal to the media, would have been seen through in a instant by those whom my parents served.
 Why Twitter is important? - John H
Two examples of the use of twitter:

tinyurl.com/85lzd5g

tinyurl.com/cw9cpfd

Why Twitter is important? - Zero
Twitter is good for my gricing hobby, where you need to know where stuff is and what its up to. Works a charm for that.
 Why Twitter is important? - Bromptonaut
John Prescott on subject in today's Grauniad:

www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/may/15/life-is-tweet-john-prescott

As others say it's very good for keeping abreast of transport disruptions.

Both the junior Bromps are prolific tweeters and followers of their musical sporting etc heroes.

Family news can spread wider than you think though.

Mrs B and I were temporarily stuck in our bedroom at 06:30 a couple of weeks ago due a failed door latch - metal fatigue. B junior was eventually roused and rescued us by passing a small screwdriver under the door with which I could lever the mechanism. This was of course a great laugh so he tweeted about it. Our neighbour follows him (shared musical interests and rival football teams!) and was joshing us about it last weekend.
 Why Twitter is important? - BobbyG
I recently joined Twitter as the Charity I work for set up an account and were wanting to get their followers going.

However as an avid Scottish football fan, there has been lots of news recentrly re the demise of Rangers so I have started following lots of reporters etc.

Compare:

10 years ago - reporter turns up at press conference and photos and story printed next day in press.
Now - reporter tweets live from press conference with key info.

That is the secret of Twitter's success - its instant, its cheap - whether it be sports report, update from a court, weather info or whatever it is instant.

What I don't get is how money is made from it but that is an area I just don't "get". I don't see any advertising at all on Twitter, don't see any on FB etc but these companies are worth billions? Why

Similar, journalists might put links to their newspapers so you click through and read the story. The papers will tell its advertisers that it gets x amount of hits to their website but won't tell them that everyone uses ad-blockers and no one actually sees any adverts!
 Why Twitter is important? - Roger.
Today's Twitter = yesterday's CB radio and from what I have heard, largely attracts the same sort of time-wasting inanities as the latter did.
 Why Twitter is important? - CGNorwich
Roger, Roger.
 Why Twitter is important? - Iffy
10-4 Rubber Duck.

Why Twitter is important? - CGNorwich
Ah, breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck. You gotta copy on me, Pig Pen, c'mon? Ah, yeah, 10-4, Pig Pen, fer shure, fer shure. By golly, it's clean clear to Flag Town, c'mon. Yeah, that's a big 10-4 there, Pig Pen, yeah, we definitely got the front door, good buddy. Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy...
 Why Twitter is important? - Londoner
Err. . . I'll have a pint of what CGN has been drinking.
 Why Twitter is important? - Zero
you need to think about it being sung in a nuur-idch accent, rather than mid west american

Why Twitter is important? - Cliff Pope
>> Err. . . I'll have a pint of what CGN has been drinking.
>>

And one for me too. Can we have one of those instant translation things on the forum, I'd love to be able to talk like that.
 Why Twitter is important? - mikeyb
I like it. Have so far only managed about 500 tweets over a couple of years, but enjoy idly seeing what others are saying on the latest hot topics, or just seeing whats going on in the lives of my friends.

There are a few celebrity tweeters who are quite entertaining - Stephen Fry, Danny Baker, Lord Sugar (although on occasions can be a bit up himself) and of course, Ling of Lings Cars. Shes not afraid of saying it how it is and causing a bit of a storm
Latest Forum Posts