Non-motoring > no more hot stuff. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 20

no more hot stuff. - Zero
Donna Summer has died.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18109654

Like disco or not, its a sound that recognisable.
 no more hot stuff. - R.P.
Part of the soundtrack of my life again, I remember "I Feel Love" bouncing across my speakers when I was a teenager.....better singer than Whitney Houston in my book.
 no more hot stuff. - zippy
Sad news indeed. I remember bopping to her songs in the local disco.
 no more hot stuff. - RattleandSmoke
My mother was a big disco fan and as a kid would often play her 7" singles on my turntable. I discovered a gem called Loves Unkind. Always had big respect for Donna Summer after that, despite being a punk.

And of course in the 80's and 00's punk and disco merged anyway.

>> And of course in the 80's and 00's punk and disco merged anyway.

You wot?
 no more hot stuff. - Runfer D'Hills
Don't quite get how people think they can "be" something just by dressing up in a certain way. I lived through the end of "hippies" and the beginning of "punks" and can't say I remember anyone I knew wanting to "be" either. Sure, they and I took a few fashion cues from the influences of the time but most people I knew were fairly happy "being" themselves.

I suppose there are those who like to join tribes whether it's football team supporters or mods or rockers or radical political parties or whatever the latest trend is and others who prefer to paddle their own canoes.

Young bloke who came to work for us once claimed he was an "Emu" or something at the weekends. Never did get to bottom of what that was supposed to be.

Odd critters, folk.

:-)
I think you mean emo. Its a branch of rock music not really my thing its far too heavy and depressing for me. They tend to wear stud earrings and have lots of tatoo's etc. The most famous 'emo' band is probably My Chemical Romance.

I am not really a punk as such, I have very varied musical taste from punk, folk and electronic music.

Put it this way none of my mates I hang out with at weekends would look like punks, but we all know who Cock Sparrer or Stiff Little Fingers are etc and know all their stuff. Not many people in their early 20's (as a lot of my mates are) would know any of that stuff, so that makes us punks in society.

I do dress a little punk at weekends, I wear punk badges etc but that is as far as I go.

However my heart is in punk music especially anti fascism branches of it. Also unlike most so called punks I am not anti authority either.

Getting back on topic though, I do hate people that only like one certain type of music and dedicate their entire lives to it. I have a couple of Donna Summer songs on my MP3 player simply because I think they are good tracks, regardless of the genre. I also have lots of Buddy Holly, Ewan McColl, Elvis, Glen Miller etc because it is good stuff.

no more hot stuff. - Ted
>>
>> I do dress a little punk at weekends,

Can't he dress himself, then ?

Ted
Ha I am sure you've seen plenty of pictures of me on Facebook in my 'punk gear' and in punk terms it is about as punk as a bank managers outfit :D.
 no more hot stuff. - Duncan
I wear punk badges etc but that is as far as I go.
>>
>

Any chance of a pic, Rattly?

Please??
In the late 70's and early 80's a lot of artists perhaps most famously Gary Numan and The Human League merged elements of punk and disco to make it into a new sound. New Order also did this to new levels, hence Blue Monday.

In the 2000's the fashion of mixing electronic music with guitar music became popular again too with bands like the Killers and the Editors.
>> In the late 70's and early 80's a lot of artists perhaps most famously Gary
>> Numan and The Human League merged elements of punk and disco to make it into
>> a new sound. New Order also did this to new levels, hence Blue Monday.
>>
>> In the 2000's the fashion of mixing electronic music with guitar music became popular again
>> too with bands like the Killers and the Editors.

Yes maybe, but the disco and punk streams were still left behind to carry on as they were. They didn't disappear. And you can hardly say that gary newman had "disco" elements!

This all happened 32 years ago, you were still pooing in your nappy!
I wasn't even born 32 years or ago and certainly wasn't born during the punk era :D.

From memory I think Come on Eileen was number when I was born but I may have got that wrong, I will double check.

Of course early 80's music was the first music I ever remember as a child.
 no more hot stuff. - VxFan
Lets hope she doesn't start a chain reaction.

Not been unknown for a couple of other celebrities to pass away shortly after someone else.
I fear Robin Gibb might not make it that much longer as he is still very ill, but I was bought up on his music so I really really do hope he does survive his illness. I even went to the same school as him (though at a different time). There is a certain member of this site who was probably at the school at the same time as him too.
 Summer's over - BiggerBadderDave
I was just about into double figures* when 'I feel love' was released and it was mega. The first time I heard it was at an airshow and was played over and over and now I always associate Donna Summer and Red Arrows. But it was that fantastic, innovative beat that I fell in love with - it had been a simple beat that Giorgo Meroder had tried echoing, and it was transformed.

Last week I was devastated to find Adam Yauch had died from cancer. I went to see The Beastie Boys supporting Run DMC in the late 80s in Apollo, Manchester. I've never been the biggest fan of rap, but I make the exception of those two bands, and Public Enemy - rap and hard rock guitar - still love it, still have it loud in the car. Beastie Boys just got better and better over the last two decades. Adam Yauch, 47 years old - I'm mortified.

*Double figures, as in age, not women that I'd twonked by 1977.
 no more hot stuff. - VxFan
>> Lets hope she doesn't start a chain reaction.
>> Not been unknown for a couple of other celebrities to pass away shortly after someone else.

As I was saying.

(and chain reaction was sung by Diana Ross, not Donna summer - D'oh)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 21 May 12 at 10:29
 no more hot stuff. - Focusless
Crowded House drummer just died as well - obviously not as well known as BGs but did some very catchy tunes. This is my favourite:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkbiMcpIk6g
They were a great band :) Again just good simple pop songs.
>> Crowded House drummer just died as well - obviously not as well known as BGs
>> but did some very catchy tunes. This is my favourite:

This one is on my iPod

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag8XcMG1EX4&feature=related
 no more hot stuff. - Dog
"I Feel Love" takes me back to a one bedroom 11th floor council flat in sowf lunden + a pie on ear PL112D.

I was mainlining Pink Floyd at the time but Donna made a big impact upon me with that punchy sound.

She will live on through the music that she has left behind, like all great artistes.
Latest Forum Posts