Non-motoring > Which Weather Station? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 24

Which Weather Station? - Duncan
I am thinking of buying a home weather station, but I don't know which one to get. I understand some units can measure rainfall, I quite like the idea of that.

Any recommendations please?
 Which Weather Station? - Dog
This is a good'n, but it'll cost ya if y'all want wind AND rain:

www.amazon.co.uk/Davis-Vantage-Vue-Weather-Station/dp/B003YUBOQC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1337500625&sr=8-12
 Which Weather Station? - CGNorwich
Won't a simple rain gauge available for a £20 or so measure it more accurately?
 Which Weather Station? - Manatee
>> Won't a simple rain gauge available for a £20 or so measure it more accurately?

Don't they say in the fens CG that if you want a weather forecast, just face where the wind's coming from to see what's approaching?
They probably do but I live near Norwich which is nowhere near the Fens :-)

>> They probably do but I live near Norwich which is nowhere near the Fens :-)

I assumed you had left Norwich on occasions, so would be familiar with the general area :-)

Though I did meet a chap near Trunch, who said the furthest he had ever been was about 20 miles away. That was when he went on a caravan holiday. He'd been going about an hour when he found a nice spot and stayed there for the week!
Used to live near Trunch in North Walsham, famous for its pandas.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO0F_WDPcyg

Which Weather Station? - Zero
>> >> Won't a simple rain gauge available for a £20 or so measure it more
>> accurately?
>>
>> Don't they say in the fens CG that if you want a weather forecast, just
>> face where the wind's coming from to see what's approaching?

Who knows, its inadvisable to stand up in the fens.
Our Aldi 'weather station' keeps me amused with temp in and out, pressure and trend, moon phases, sunrise and sunset, and it's little forecast which seems ever hopeful for snow.

Separately, there's a max/min thermometer outside which the gardener pays attention to (when she's not wifeing) and a rain gauge (which closely resembles - because it is - a bucket).

We also get indications of high wind when the fence falls over.

I guess if you want to submit your records to the Royal Meteorological Society you might want something more sophisticated :-)
 Which Weather Station? - Runfer D'Hills
If it's cold, I put my coat on. If it's raining or snowing I fasten it up. If it's warm and dry I take it off. What more does anyone need to do or know?

:-)
 Which Weather Station? - Duncan
>> If it's cold, I put my coat on. If it's raining or snowing I fasten
>> it up. If it's warm and dry I take it off. What more does anyone
>> need to do or know?
>>
>> :-)
>>

That's a bit too complicated for some of us Humph!

What about this one?

tinyurl.com/7p5n5e7
I would go for German technology myself - Years of experience in making these things.

www.black-forest-hill.com.au/products/weather_houses.html
 Which Weather Station? - Old Navy
>> If it's cold, I put my coat on. If it's raining or snowing I fasten
>> it up. If it's warm and dry I take it off. What more does anyone
>> need to do or know?
>>
>> :-)
>>

Pah, I have an air conditioned raincoat that runs on diesel.

It even works in winter without special tyres. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 20 May 12 at 13:02
I have a west scotland weather station. It has a two segment display

Heavy Rain and Heavier Rain.
 Which Weather Station? - Robin O'Reliant
My house has built in weather stations. They're called windows.
 Which Weather Station? - movilogo
What will you use it for?

A forecast on weather sites are likely to be more accurate. There are some watches which can show barometric pressure history from which you can predict weather fairly easily.

If you have any tablet PC like iPad it can be turned into a weather station using some apps.
 Which Weather Station? - smokie
A bloke who lived within a mile of my previous company had a web page where he published all the info from the weather station, plus local forecasts, plus links to all kinds of local stuff. Also held loads of historical data re the weather. I was quite impressed, and keen to do one myself, for about two minutes :-)
 Which Weather Station? - Bromptonaut
I got Mrs B this one for Xmas a couple of years ago:

www.maplin.co.uk/professional-wireless-weather-centre-220865

Not an excuse for a boy's toy, she's a scientist and we'd discussed them before.

Records windspeed but not direction, temp and pressure, RH and rainfall. The temperature and pressure together with trends seem accurate and provoke some interesting discussion.

Only place we could locate it was on the pergola at the bottom of our small garden. Rather too sheltered for accurate windspeed and the rain gauge is way out - it relies on a 'see-saw' type measurer that is fooled by flexing of the mounting mast. I could probably address this by finding a more rigid mast/mount but it would be quite expensive and a faff to fit.

If you can stretch to one with a USB connection to upload data to the PC then you'll get much more out of it. I regret not spending the extra £30.
 Which Weather Station? - Runfer D'Hills
You got your wife a weather station for Christmas and you're still alive? Top man !
With the best of intentions, I got my gardening mad wife a rather good wheel barrow for her birthday a couple of years ago. No brownie points in the bank for a long time after that. Life is so unfair.
 Which Weather Station? - Robin O'Reliant
They much prefer something for the kitchen, a frying pan or a sandwich toaster.
 Which Weather Station? - Old Navy
Or you could give her a real treat with a dishwasher or washing machine. You might be sleeping in the shed and hungry for a while though. :-)
Vacuum cleaner is the ultimate gift - they will love you forever after that.

or was that "you won't live for ever"?
You can't beat something to keep their skin soft land lovely. Rubber gloves are the ideal present.
 Which Weather Station? - Bromptonaut
>> You got your wife a weather station for Christmas and you're still alive? Top man
>> !

She'd tried to talk me into buying one at an outdoor show earlier in the year. If she wasn't a practical lass with an interest in 'stuff' I doubt we'd ever have clicked in the first place!!
Latest Forum Posts