Non-motoring > Electric Guitars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pezzer Replies: 18

Electric Guitars - Pezzer
My soon to be 14 yo son has been playing the guitar for a few years and and is starting to sound pretty good. He currently has a basic electric guitar from the local music shop.
However he is now asking for a 'better' branded one. He currently plays mainly rock music and I'm not sure whether this is just a brand thing / looking cool or whether there is some merit to it.
I'm interested in any suggestions as to what would be a good next step (at a reasonable price !) and what benefits if any there would be for him.

Thanks P
 Electric Guitars - Fenlander
My teen daughters both dabbled with elec guitar a while back. One had a new met blue Yamaha for about £120... the other a very good Ebay buy of a black Fender Squier Strat (Korean) which came for about £45 but they seem to make £100 on Ebay.

My cousin is an ace player, has a couple of bands and recording studio. He uses a modest £600 guitar but is more than happy with a bargain £50 one... being able to play being more important than the guitar brand.

I hope you've set him up with a good old classic amp around 100W so he can let rip!!
 Electric Guitars - MrTee43
I bought a guitar many years ago, wanting to play like Mark Knopfler (it never happened) and went to the local guitar shop and picked a red Hank Marvin Squier Strat.

I think I only paid about £100 but recently found out that this was a Made in Japan model and is held in quite high regard as being a quality instrument.

I have actually seen them on ebay fetching £400.

I think if you gave Mark Knopfler any guitar, he could make it sound great so I dont think a £2000 guitar is going to be 10 times better than a £200, so it comes down looks and quality in the end.
 Electric Guitars - Dog
This bloke plays fairly well, not as good as me mind, but if he keeps on practicing, well - who knows what he could achieve.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVTqr6EgWk&feature=related

It's a Gibson Les Paul 'Gold Top' and is a rather nice Axe, you can get copies of course - Epiphone are a make a mean copy.
Then there is the Gibson SG, a lot of rockers seem to favour those.
I prefer the ole Fender Stratocaster like me ole mate Jimmy and Eric etc. but its all down to personal choice really.
How much you wanna spend guv'nor?
 Electric Guitars - R.P.
Know nothing about electric guitars - however Mrs PU is an acoustic guitar player and she owns three (which gives me scope for my hobbies) a Martin a Guild and a Yamaha - she claims to be able to identify Martin's products by ear - so yes there is a difference in "premium" brands. Bit like cars really !
 Electric Guitars - Zero
>> Know nothing about electric guitars - however Mrs PU is an acoustic guitar player and
>> she owns three (which gives me scope for my hobbies) a Martin a Guild and
>> a Yamaha - she claims to be able to identify Martin's products by ear -

Excelent, perhaps she will get you into the delights of Paco De Lucia.
 Electric Guitars - R.P.
She's more into "miserable songs" as she calls them (Blues)
 Electric Guitars - Iffy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVTqr6EgWk&feature=related

Dog,

I think this sort of playing is technically accomplished but lacks any soul.

Yours,

Tone Deaf.

Electric Guitars - Focusless
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5v4AxTE4-Y

We were there! One of the highlights of the trip.

BTW 13 year old son also plays electric guitar, and has an ESP which his guitar teacher says is quite good for the money (we got it cheap through stepson's band who have some sort of endorsement deal).
 Electric Guitars - Dog
>>I think this sort of playing is technically accomplished but lacks any soul.

Yours,

Tone Deaf.<<

You want soul Toney ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o8SZng55T0
 Electric Guitars - Fenlander
Another Gold Top in action... interesting clip someone has unearthed...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbDfP39_6A&feature=PlayList&p=DAC1B83228F1DADC&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=112
 Electric Guitars - Dog
>>Another Gold Top in action... interesting clip someone has unearthed...<<

Haha! you're taking me back a few years there comrade :)
"being able to play being more important than the guitar brand."

Thats kind of where I'm coming from, hence my concern its more about image than a real need. I want to encourage him but dont want to waste money on something that wont make much difference. He is starting to have the self confidence to both play and sing (although only to himself/us at the moment) so I think it comes down to whether I think a new toy will give him further incentive and perhaps and easier to use action.

No 100w amps in his bedroom, just the practice amp but thats enough !
 Electric Guitars - CGNorwich
Like most things in live you get what you pay for at least to a point. After that you are paying for exclusiveness and image.

For £3-£400 you should be able to get a guitar with a really nice action that is a pleasure to play. Your son will undoubtably notice the difference
thanks CGN that was what I was looking to confirm.
 Electric Guitars - MrTee43
Have a look at this guy playing an old acoustic.

It backs up the theory of not what guitar you play but how you play it.

Michael Chapman.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYecbNduSEI
 Electric Guitars - CGNorwich
Wonderful bit of playing by a great guitarist but the guitar he is playing whilst old and worn is a fine instrument
 Electric Guitars - R.P.
Looks like a Martin - I'll check with Mrs PU whose ears pricked up when she heard him play.
 Electric Guitars - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

A rather nice Taylor guitar in here.
Latest Forum Posts