Non-motoring > Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 13

Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - SteelSpark
My brother usually gets quite bad hayfever. I know that he is allergic to grass pollen, and a few others, and he is definitely normally suffering by this time of year.

However so far this year he says that he has not had a single symptom.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has started suffering yet, or whether the recent heavy rain might have delayed the pollen seasons.

I do remember reading something saying that they might be delayed due to the rain, and then be much worse when they do arrive.

He also lives in London BTW
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - Bromptonaut
My colleague who sits opposite started snorting and sneezing in late March but it had eased off until this week.

Something, either pollen or flower/bud bits is catching in my throat while cycling in so I arrive at work coughing like a 40 a day man. I suspect it's from the plane trees. No allergic reaction though; a swig of liquid to wash it down and problem solved.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 23 May 12 at 10:54
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - Pat
Yes, worse this year than usual but we have a huge field of oil seed rape in flower just behind our garden.
In fact I think the whole Fen is a sea of yellow this year.

Atishoooooo;)

Pat
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - R.P.
What you need Pat is a vacuum cleaner with a pollen filter and 9 pack of bog rolls !
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - Dave_
My (usually fairly severe) hay fever all but disappeared when I moved house 80 miles away. It comes back for the day when I visit family in Beds/Herts, but even then it's not as bad as it used to be.

I reckon tree and grass pollen must have a regional "accent" that sufferers become sensitised to - travel to an area with different pollen and your symptoms disappear.
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - L'escargot
>> What you need Pat is a vacuum cleaner with a pollen filter .........

Our Henry sniffs everything up his nose, but doesn't get hayfever. www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=7
:-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 24 May 12 at 10:17
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - Bromptonaut
>> Yes, worse this year than usual but we have a huge field of oil seed
>> rape in flower just behind our garden.
>> In fact I think the whole Fen is a sea of yellow this year.

Astonishigly pervasive round my way too. Both sides of the Nene valley above Northampton. The smell is almost sickly. Worse when the mature crop gets damp and smells like rotting cabbage (yes I know rape's a brassica too).
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - FocalPoint
Other half is having a bad time - feeling "fluey", itching eyes etc. As with Pat, I've noticed a lot of oilseed rape around. I'm lucky - I'm never affected.

Mind you, hay fever sometimes goes away. My father suffered for years until late middle age, when it suddenly left him, never to return.
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - Harleyman
Yes. Me, becuse the wife's prone to it.
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - Zero
Blame the millions of acres of Oil Seed Rape.

The country is awash with the stuff.
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - CGNorwich
Not many people are actually allergic to oil seed rape pollen so its not a major cause of hay fever. The pollen is also heavy and sticky and doesn't travel far in the wind. Rape is "designed" to be pollinated by bees rather than wind-born as in the case of grasses and trees.

However oil seed rape flowers do give off a volatile oil which causes irritation to the eyes and nose. I don't suffer from hay fever but I always start sneezing when I pass a field of the stuff but the effect wears off as soon as I pass.

The real culprits for hay fever at this time of the year are trees. Oak will be flowering shortly and many people are allergic to its pollen
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - spamcan61
Had a couple of days recently with watery eyes and sneezing, but not too bad. I usually start sneezing now and end early July (not continuously..... ) Nowhere near as bad as when I was in my early twenties. Only total 'cure' I've found is working abroad for the summer (well Finland or Sweden at least).

Interesting info. on OSR there CGN.
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - Fullchat
Eyes have been a bit sore last couple of days. Used to suffer very badly in my younger days but seem to be less affected with maturity. Must remember to pop a pill in the morning.
 Hayfever - is anyone suffering yet? - corax
>> The real culprits for hay fever at this time of the year are trees. Oak
>> will be flowering shortly and many people are allergic to its pollen

Very true in my case. Tree pollen I can suffer from (although nothing like the severe reaction that some people get like watery puffy eyes that are almost closed together and non stop sneezing), but later in the season grass pollen doesn't have much affect. I don't know whether this is down to age or a course of grass pollen injections I was subjected to when I was a teenager.
Latest Forum Posts