Non-motoring > Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 20

Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Roger.
We are "project managing" the refurbishment of a house recently bought by our daughter and son-in-law who are currently in BFPO, Germany.
As part of this, we are arranging the supply & fitting of new carpets. We popped into Carpetright, which I believe is a national chain. We were absolutely astonished that they do not visit a property to measure up for an estimate, but instead rely on the customer giving room dimensions, following which a "rough" estimate is given in the showroom. One is supposed to give THEM a firm order + a deposit on what is, effectively and open -ended contract. Is this the way to to business?
We also asked if, as part of their "service", the old carpet is removed by their fitters, only to be told "No - we are not allowed by the regulations to do this. You must arrange for the council to take away the old carpet at your cost".
Has the world gone mad, or am I expecting too much in thinking in these hard times for business, that a modicum of service to a customer is desirable?
Last edited by: Roger on Fri 25 May 12 at 18:04
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Falkirk Bairn
>>We also asked if, as part of their "service", the old carpet is removed by their fitters, only to >>be told "No - we are not allowed by the regulations to do this

They pay to dump @ council tip - privately, you can dump and "not pay" i.e. your payment is in the Council Tax you pay every month.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Robin O'Reliant
I once had a carpet delivered and laid after measuring the room myself. Half way through the job one of the fitters asked, "What idiot did they send to measure this?"

The muttered reply was inaudable to all.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - R.P.
I thought Carpetright had gone bust - went to a local firm last year, they came out to measure....
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Old Navy
Certainly not what happens in our area, we use an independent who has a unit on an industrial estate rather than the shopping shed chains. They measure, arrange the fitting and disposal, and although the old carpet has to be lifted they will move any furniture that cannot be removed from the room.

I would go elsewhere, it will be a better service and might even be a better price.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 25 May 12 at 18:20
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - R.P.
The service at these "sheds" is appalling, poorly trained staff with zero people skills seem to be the norm. As ON implies keep it simple keep the money in the local economy and get someone either from your local small ads. The sheds usually contract the fitting out to the local guys, cut out the middle men and go local ! Similar experience with Bensons furniture people. Just awful.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> We were absolutely astonished that they do not visit a property to measure up for an estimate, but instead rely on the customer giving room dimensions, following which a "rough" estimate is given in the
showroom.

"Thanks for your time. Now go and learn to F yourself."

>> Has the world gone mad, or am I expecting too much in thinking in these
>> hard times for business, that a modicum of service to a customer is desirable?

Service? what is that?

My geyser went breasts up the other week, and tripped the electricity in the house. That was Sunday. So I turned the geyser switch off at the board, and phoned around for a plumber on Monday morning. Left several messages for plumbers.
First bloke who answered the phone got the job. Damn the cost.
I was still getting calls on THURSDAY!
"Well, thanks for calling back after 96 hours, but I don't really need you any more."

Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - CGNorwich
You are expecting too much. Carpetright are very much at the 'cheap and cheerful' end of the market selling on price and credit terms.

If you want service go to a quality local supplier or a decent store like John Lewis but expect to pay more.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - DP
We used an independent. Came out, measured, quoted, turned up, removed old carpet, fitted new (perfectly). Completely hassle free.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - mikeyb
We used our local independant - really good 72oz wool carpet at a fraction of the price some of the big boys wanted. Even let us hang on to the samples for a bit as he advised us to look at them at different times / lights to make sure we were happy with it.

When he came and measure up he pointed out that the door bars between two of the other rooms were the wrong type for going between carpet and a wood floor and offered to do them both for a tenner each while he was here. Not bad as they are double doors, and I don't think I could even get the door bars for that price.

Said they could move the furniture and empty the room if I needed them to, but did it myself as they would have charged for this
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - VxFan
Last time I bought carpets from Carpetright, they offered a free measuring service, or just take my word for it. I already knew the sizes of the 2 rooms so no need for them to come out and measure. On the invoice was clearly written "room sizes supplied by customer". Obviously to cover themselves in case the measurements were wrong.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Clk Sec
I buy from Carpetright when they're running their best offers (frequently 40% - 60% off their usual prices, or thereabouts) but I rarely buy their underlay or gripper, and I use my my own carpet fitter.

They have always offered me a free measuring service, and I understand that they will remove the old carpet, etc, for a small fee.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Zero
Measuring up is down to the carpet fitter. You were not planning ti fit it yourself were you?

You get your fitter lined up, he measures up tells you what and lengths of grippers you need, how much carpet you need, you go to shed, you order, they deliver, then fitter comes and fits.

The carpet sheds are discount warehouses, so you get discount service. You want proper service you go to a proper carpet shop who will take care of everything for a slightly higher price.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Iffy
Round 'ere your fitter collects the carpet from the shed.

Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Ted

Like the Ancient Mariner, I will not go near anyone except my local family firm on the local small trading estate. You go in, pick what you want and one of the two brothers does the rest........impeccably. All waste removed and an after sales service second to none. They do Amtica and that stuff that looks like wood....lanimate or summat ?

I just wouldn't use anyone else now with the advantage that John's a biker and will talk your hind leg off about motorbikes !

I suppose it costs a bit more but I don't think they're over the top.

Ted
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - Aretas
There is an advantage in taking up the old carpet yourself - you can do a proper clean between the floorboards and tighten any squeeky or loose ones. Also a perfect oportunity to paint the skirting boards.
Yes that's why we, or rather my wife, [I had a lumbar decompression op. last Saturday & am not allowed to bend or lift yet] took up all the carpet yesterday. Nasty mucky stuff it was, too, with crumbling underlay in places.
Two replacement windows ordered yesterday, as well.
Next step is decorating: for that we have a well recommended chap on board to start when the windows are in and then - the carpets!
Luckily, a good friend of my daughter owns 5 letting properties in the town and is helping us with her own "approved" tradesmen.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - rtj70
We have used Carpetright before and yes they are not the cheapest and you need to take up and dispose of the old carpet and underlay.

Now use a local company and much better - still do the dispose/remove carpet because that is time and therefore money for them. And I can do that. The stairs took some time to get the staples/nails out.
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - henry k
>> There is an advantage in taking up the old carpet yourself
>>- you can do a proper clean between the floorboards and tighten any squeeky or loose ones.
>>
Ensure the floor is reasonably flat when doing the floorboards.
>>.
>> Also a perfect oportunity to paint the skirting boards.
>>
With gusto and no masking tape
>>
And check for rodents under the floor and fit thermostatic radiator valves to the radiators if pipes need moving ( as the surely will and ....
Our local indy supplier/fitter has given us a firm quote for £1100, for the whole house, excluding underlay in the lounge, where the existing stuff is OK, but including plywood levelling for Cushionfloor vinyl in the bathroom.
A Berber carpet at £8 per sq.m., is perfectly adequate for a property to be rented out for the next few years and is cheap enough to replace in case of damage or mistreatment.
Two double glazed PVC windows are costing £540 all in.
Only waiting for the decorating quote now!
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 28 May 12 at 15:29
 Can this be true, or am I expecting too much? - devonite
>>A Berber carpet at £8 per sq.m., is perfectly adequate for a property to be rented out for the next few years

Yoicks! - A foam-backed one at half that price is good enough for rental-bods! - They`ll only ruin it anyway! or put in cheap but good-enough lookin laminate wood, easy to rip up once they`ve gone.

Thats the Ferrero-Roche moment! - me thinks you spoil them!
Last edited by: devonite on Mon 28 May 12 at 16:06
Latest Forum Posts