Non-motoring > What's in you garage? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 41

What's in you garage? - Pat
.......that really shouldn't be there!

My domain is the greenhouse, the shed is shared between us but the garge is Mr pda's domain.
As such, I rarely go in there, perhaps I shouldn't have done.

Yesterday I needed the steps which are kept in the garage and ventured into this male dominated place only to find total chaos.
I couldn't find anything but apart from the usual tools, drills, pressure waher, bike stands, standard bike exhaust pipes etc I also found

1 washing machine that needs a new switch panel
1 Toilet seat??
1 interior door?
2 awnings
1 awning frame
1 parasol
1 paste table in the rafters
Assorted ratchet straps and lengths of lorry rope
21 peppermint Aero wrappers scattered on the floor?

I never did get to the steps but it made me wonder what other men keep hidden away in the garage and why?

The only explanations I could get last night was for the peppermint Aero wrappers.
'Tinkering on the bike makes me hungry'

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 29 Apr 10 at 08:25
 What's in you garage? - Fenlander
>>>21 peppermint Aero wrappers scattered on the floor?

Good man.
 What's in you garage? - L'escargot
>> ....... that really shouldn't be there!

There's room to open the car doors both sides, open the boot, open the bonnet, and inflate the tyres, and still leave room for everything else that we wouldn't want to be in the living quarters or outside. When choosing a house, having an adequate size garage is high on our list of priorities.
 What's in you garage? - Stuu
The wifes garden lounger. Dam thing fell on me yesterday while accessing my What Car? archive.
Actually, ive sorted my garage and thrown alotta rubbish of late as I dont want to fall into the trap my dad has and keep junk.

The only thing that really shouldnt be in there is a box of stuff that my dad brought over thinking it was mine - it wasnt and I wonder wuite whether he even looked at what was in the box!
 What's in you garage? - BobbyG
Well over this weekend I am planning to half the size of my concrete - panelled garage as, due to an extension being built , the car will not be able to access it and it is too big for what is left of the garden.

On checking it last night, and being male, I would say there is nothing in the garage that shouldn't be there!! However, that is not to say that by the end of the weekend the skip won't be full of all those things that I kept just in case..........
 What's in you garage? - BiggerBadderDave
Bobby, I imagined your garage to be stockpiled with kindling, matches, cans of petrol and boxes of fireworks.
 What's in you garage? - BobbyG
BBD, as a lover of chimineas, and hopefully soon, wood burning stoves, I have lots of kindling in the garage. Even more just now with all the off-cuts of wood from the extension.
But no petrol or fireworks.!!
 What's in you garage? - Bigtee
Ideally would be a 2x poster ramp all the air tools and a large compressor i just don't have the ramp.

I don't get why some men use them for storage it's a garage or workshop and use it as one! (rant over).................
 What's in you garage? - Dog
I really can't imagine anyone having a worse garage than mine.
Its 'almost' a double + its has a pitched roof, but its full up with junk!
I keep putting stuff in there, putting stuff in there etc. but never taking stuff out.
I have made a start on it though with all the fine weather we've been having.
oops - its raining now!
 What's in you garage? - MD
At the start of my Building Career an old boy said to me, "Take it home Son, it'll come in handy if you never use it." How true he was.

BUT................chuck it out and for sure you'll need it next week!

Regards.......M
 What's in you garage? - Ted

I couldn't even contemplate listing the contents at Cam's Folly. I'ts 30 odd feet by 18 ft.
Separate workshop in one half.
The Jowett
3 Motorbikes and a pushbike.
A 16' X 6' OO gauge railway.

One quite unusual thing for a garage....A fitted kitchen !
No appliances or sink, but all the base and wall cupboards removed from late MIL's house to fit new kitchen.
All with pale green doors and fitted with cheap worktops.
I do have a kettle and all the gubbins to brew up, though.

It's never enough, just put up a small shed to store the caravan gear and garden furniture in.

Ted
 What's in you garage? - Zero
No idea, cant get past the door due to the stuff in there.
>>The Jowett
3 Motorbikes and a pushbike.
A 16' X 6' OO gauge railway. <<

I wish you were my neighbour Teddy - I'd even get rid of Ivy for ya :)

Railway might not be to your taste, Woofer. All North West based.

tinyurl.com/38shfqv

Not had Ivy round for a bit, I think she's gone to stay with her sister !

Ted
 What's in you garage? - Zero
I think the railway in my shed is a little better

alumni.libraries.psu.edu/images/BCRR_Engine_Shed300.jpg
Amazing Ted - and such attention to detail, I bet your G'children luv it, when they're not on the computer that is.
I dare say Ivy is green with envy about it.
 What's in you garage? - Harleyman
>>
>> One quite unusual thing for a garage....A fitted kitchen !
>> No appliances or sink but all the base and wall cupboards removed from late MIL's
>> house to fit new kitchen.

Ted..... you are not alone!

We have been planning an extension to Harley Manor for a while; unfortunately our builder messed us about and it still awaits. However, in the interim we bought a second-hand kitchen, and also all the gubbins for the downstairs loo/shower room when B&Q had a "don't miss" sale on. These are now gathering dust, along with two unfinished Harley projects, our current mounts and my old 45 which is sitting on my hydraulic bike bench awaiting a top end overhaul.

Keeping this lot company are the tumble dryer, a filing cabinet, steel racking, a double ladder, all my gardening and tree-felling stuff, a metal workbench, a tool cabinet on castors.... oh and the central heating boiler!

They have recently been joined by a Honda Lead scooter.

No wonder the damn truck's going rusty! :-(
 What's in you garage? - -

>> our current mounts and my old 45 which is sitting on my hydraulic bike bench
>> awaiting a top end overhaul.

Colt or Smith and Wesson?

Either way i'm not arguing..;)
>> >>
>> >> One quite unusual thing for a garage....A fitted kitchen !
>> >> No appliances or sink but all the base and wall cupboards removed from late

On reflection, I do have a sink in there! Only it's called a parts washer and it's inset into one of the worktops.

90 litre fish tank ( for sale ), brewing gear, half a dozen Jowett flat four engines. About 20 power tools, generator, vast range of clips and fixings, designer glass coffee table and antique corner cupboard, gas and MIG welding.

It's all carpeted with cheap stuff from the local warehouse and there's a Dyson to keep it nice !

Ted
 What's in your garage? - Avant
Ted, you and I are of a dwindling band that keeps a car in the garage. Most other people see more logic than I do in keeping £'000s of car outside and largely worthless junk securely locked inside.

In fairness, some new-build garages, with equally unfathomable logic (except perhaps false short-term economy), are built for cars no wider than a Ford Popular.

PS - proves the point - this thread is in Non-motoring....
Last edited by: Avant on Thu 29 Apr 10 at 18:35
 What's in your garage? - FotheringtonTomas
>> people see more logic than I do in keeping £'000s of car
>> outside and largely worthless junk securely locked inside.

But, in most garages, the car would be put away wet (underneath, and in nooks and crannies), got out again for more wet, put back in, etc. - and take longer to dry out than if it was left outside. Putting a car which is not used very often would tend to make sense, but not an "everyday" one.
 What's in your garage? - -
2 sets of winter tyres on wheels, freezer, Welsh Dresser in need of restoration, Bookcase and various other storage facilities holding some of my tools etc, power washer, enough oils and grease and the like to start a service station, treadmill, old oven, new tumble dryer, igloo suit, jump pack, more stuff than i could possibly list too.
 What's in your garage? - Pat
I suspect some of you have been rather coy about admitting what's in your garage that shouldn't be there:)

Am I missing something and is there a reason for this?

Another excuse I got for the total chaos was 'Well, I need some shelves'

A couple of years ago we bought some tough black plastic shelving from our local Focus for the shed at just under £20, but despite a quick look round locally there doesn't sem to be any available now.
Argos was the only one who got close and was out of stock.

Pat
 What's in your garage? - L'escargot
>> But in most garages the car would be put away wet (underneath and in nooks
>> and crannies) got out again for more wet put back in etc. - and take
>> longer to dry out than if it was left outside.

My solution to that is to have a dehumidifier in my garage.
 What's in your garage? - RichardW
A pile of rust that used to be a 1984 Citroen Visa Decapotable.

A pile of (mostly rusty!) bits that used to be a 1929 Velocette Model U.

Lots of bit of wood that might come in useful one day.

Of course there is no room in there becuase SWMBO decreed that the freezer and tumble dryer should inhabit it too....grrrr...
 What's in your garage? - Fenlander
>>>SWMBO decreed that the freezer and tumble dryer should inhabit it too....grrrr...

I had a crafty idea with such problems in mind Richard. I built my own garage/workshop too far down the yard for her to want anything in it!
 What's in your garage? - Zero
>> I had a crafty idea with such problems in mind Richard. I built my own
>> garage/workshop too far down the yard for her to want anything in it!

Except you perhaps.
 What's in your garage? - VxFan
>> I built my own garage/workshop too far down the yard for her to want anything in it!

tinyurl.com/37by46x

www.readersheds.co.uk
>> My solution to that is to have a dehumidifier in my garage.
>>

It needs to be a big one to have any effect.
 What's in your garage? - R.P.
Both bikes have been settled into their new home at last - one was garaged 50 miles away until late yesterday - the garage is now cosy, has a radio a deckchair and wi-fi - what more do you want ?
>> a deckchair and wi-fi - what more do you want ?
>>

Optics, beer pump, bar billiards table, popcorn machine and karaoke
 What's in your garage? - henry k
>> a deckchair and wi-fi - what more do you want ?
>>
We have a shower and a loo etc.

The most common modification to houses like ours is to delete the integral garage hence I have to store all the "motoring stuff" elsewhere.
Must get round to dumping ramps and axel stands that I will never use again!!!
I have a set of car ramps, that I have not used in 20 or more years. Every car in the house that I could have used them for, has had a low front skirt that prevents their use.

I really should throw them away.,
 What's in your garage? - henry k
>> I have a set of car ramps that I have not used in 20 or more years.
>>
Mine too. Do they breed in the dark like metal coat hangers?
>>
Just remembered I have 36" Stilsons donated by my brother and I have never used them.
I guess they are worth flogging and will free up some more space along with a couple of 1000W big industrial flood lights .
My garage decant ( shed) could be getting in effect bigger.
36" Stilsons

I misread that as 36" Stetsons !
 What's in your garage? - VxFan
>> what more do you want ?

A 42" plasma TV on the wall.
I'm working on Freeview - tested the aerial socket - it works.
BBD has requested a stage, spotlights and a pole.
So where does all the junk go, bikes cars etc ?
 What's in your garage? - BiggerBadderDave
What an absolutely fabulous idea...
 What's in your garage? - movilogo
You all those lucky chaps! My house does not have a garage :(
 What's in your garage? - helicopter
From the far end....Beat this

Freezer , Workbench with tools ( SWMBO worked for a tool wholesaler for 21 years so you name it !) , drills , saws , with drawers underneath filled with every conceivable nut , bolt , screw, nail all kept in either old coffee jars or Old Holborn tins......

Three ( yes three) golf bags and trolleys complete with clubs , balls and all relevant paraphenalia. (I don't play golf.)

2 sets of wet weather gear for sailing .

Buckets and cleaning gear for cars and windows.

Very HiViz orange jackets for use on oil rigs with helicopter landing pads.

Ladders ( Three of various sizes ) One of which leads to loft of garage filled with timber and board of all shapes and sizes

Dining Room table and 6 chairs.

Television Table and 21 inch Amstrad telly.

Wheelbarrow & several very large bags potting compost

Pressure washer and fittings.

Garden trellis

Two bicycles.

Black and Decker Workmate

200 or so bottles of wine .....

But no car ( or cuddly toy)

And a couple of tyres for SWMBO 's Yaris
Last edited by: retpocileh on Wed 5 May 10 at 14:49
Latest Forum Posts