Non-motoring > Prague - what to do Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 12

Prague - what to do - borasport
Off to Prague next week for a few days - what are the 'must do' and 'must see' things

also 'must eat ' and 'must drink' - I have heard those Czechs know a thing or two about beer :-)
 Prague - what to do - BiggerBadderDave
Have the soup served in a loaf of bread. They baked bread, cut the top off it, hollow it out and fill it with soup. It's fantastic, especially when it's cold.
 Prague - what to do - Armel Coussine
Garlic soup. Dumplings. Roast pork.

Science and technology museum (some nice old cars there). Prague Castle.

Very nice place. If driving, watch out for coppers who want a tenner in cash.
 Prague - what to do - Bigtee
Alegadly the ladies of the night are very cheap and found in bars not on street corners!
 Prague - what to do - BiggerBadderDave
If Club Apollon is still there on Sokolovska 60, it's well worth a visit. £70/hour.
 Prague - what to do - Alanovich
Men can be targeted and robbed by ladies of the night in Wencelas Square after dark, so be careful if you're out and about there, and strange ladies start chatting to you. It could be distraction tactics, and you may be unknowingly relieved of your wallet.
 Prague - what to do - Zero
not invented by or exclusive to praguian ladies of the night of course.
I'll be taking my own lady - how strange she is is a matter of opinion :-)
 Prague - what to do - Telb
Garlic is treated as a vegetable over there - whole in soup, raw as "nibbles" and of course in stews.

Dumplings are wonderful, also the game dishes. Off the main tourist drag small eateries are (were) amazing value - they still should be as Czech isn't in the Euro. We got dinner for less than £6 each including beer.

Try the trams, its a superb system but beware of "gypsies" jostling you on entry or exit - they're very accomplished pickpockets. I took a party of 40 to Prague for the Christmas markets a few years ago and 12 of them were "dipped" or attempted. Even trying to get at bags being worn INSIDE a topcoat! If you suspect an attempt, make a loud noise and fuss in any language you like - they'll quickly disappear.

Prague Castle, Wenceslas Square with the Jan Palac memorial and the Charles Bridge are the usual must-sees. If you're deep into culture, there's something happening somewhere all the time.

There's even a Tesco, but that's best avoided I think!

Try as many beers as possible - my favourite was a dark Krusovice - sadly now sold to Heineken I think.

Enjoy!
 Prague - what to do - Bellboy
just like any city go where the locals go for food and drink,you still cant spend all your money there, we always come back with loads and need to go again to spend it
ive never had a problem with ladies of the night or pick pockets but then i always try to fit in with my surroundings rather than looking like a sore thumb
go out to the bones church or terezin if you need a fix out of town its quite easy to travel to these places by train or the bus to terezin and its oh so cheap too
i love praha and would move there tomorrow if i was young free and single
oh and lud that museum is shut ,i think it opens in june i went up there to see it last october and its having major rejuvanation,there was a train in there too apparently? the tractor museum part was open though
go up the concrete radio tower and have a meal and drink and view if you have the time its only a short walk from the metro tube station
remember to buy your travel tickets for the underground/tram on 24 hour tickets,dirt cheap but do get them validated as soon as you need to use them,ignore anyone who says there are no ticket inspectors,they dress as normal and pick out people at random and show their big brass inspector badge,its a big fine if tickets invalid,we got stopped last time we were there
 Prague - what to do - -
My lads everlasting memory was finding a back street bar with a sign barring knives and guns..gulp.
Oh and the fellas took far too much interest in his good woman, other than that they had a great time.
 Prague - what to do - bathtub tom
I recall using the funicular to get up the hill East of the river and then climbing the little Eiffel tower (good place for cheap food and drink). It's then a pleasant stroll to the Loreta (?). Everyone does the castle, but I thought it was a little disappointing.

The locals sit next to each other in bars and restaurants, but don't seem to get upset when tourists hog all the places by sitting opposite, they just plonk themselves down next to you - if it's an empty seat, it's available.
Well, we have been, and we have come back, and I can see the appeal of staying - like v good food all round, and Staropramen etc at ca. 90 pence a litre in the supermarket (or £11 a litre at the airport, but I could never be that thirsty) - the only downside was that the queueing arrangements at some tourist attractions seem to owe a lot to the communist era - queue 20 mins at the castle/museum for a ticket, pay for the audio guide and get told to go and join another queue (20 mins again) to pick that up....

Stayed at my Nephews flat no more than a mile from the top end of Wenceslas square and pretty much walked everywhere from there, including the Castle and Pratin on the other side of the river, had several good meals including a very good curry - far better than stuff we get round here, which I beleive is exceptional for over there.

Recommendation - If you travel to/from the airport by public transport, you have to change from bus to metro at Dejvicka. If you have the time, find the beer hall on the square - I can't remember the name, it has green awnings - its on the same side as KFC. The beer was as good as any we tasted whilst there,. SWMBO would personally recommend the Chicken Schnitzel, I would recommend the Devil's Toast (*) and nephew would recommend the Pigs Knee - It tasted flipping good, but it would take me at least an hour to eat one

(*) - steak, pork and peppers on toast with cheese and horseradish - very tasty, but still making its' presence felt when we got of the plain in Manchester.

Thanks to all who offered adice.
n.b. - no suggestion of pickpockets or ladies of negotiable virtue at any point !
Last edited by: borasport on Sat 8 May 10 at 17:07
Latest Forum Posts