Non-motoring > USA versus UK Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 6

USA versus UK - L'escargot
tinyurl.com/6u2thk2
 USA versus UK - Duncan
Where do they get those prices from?

I understand that:

On a litre of unleaded at 133p, the tax and duty comes to around 80p, so without that, the cost would be around 53p per litre.

On a litre of diesel at 140p, the taxes total around 81p, so the cost without tax and duty would be around 59p.
 USA versus UK - Lygonos
Presumably accurate in 2005 when it was published.
 USA versus UK - ....
Similar disparity exists today within the United States of Europe.
On Easter Sunday I was riding through the Netherlands, I noticed one Shell station had their Super Brew Unleaded at 1,949€, two days later I was on Lanzarote the first petrol station we went passed was Shell, the same Super Brew unleaded was 1,199.
That could help explain why the Spanish have no money if they are buying in oil then giving it away at less than a pound a litre (exchange rate at the time was 1,21€/£1)
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 12:32
 USA versus UK - CGNorwich
They aren't giving it away, unlike mainland Spain fuel is tax free in the Canaries. The islands are the poorest part of Spain with unemployment well over 30%.

USA versus UK - ....
There'll be parts of the UK looking forward to the same concessions.
 USA versus UK - CGNorwich
The government could do so if it so wished. Wouldn't be too practical though as everybody outside the area would head for the tax free zone to buy fuel. Spaniards can't drive to the Canaries for a top up.
Latest Forum Posts