Non-motoring > Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 46

Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Bromptonaut
Where were you for HM's earlier Jubilees? I'll start:

In 1977 I was 17, in 6th form and living at home in Guiseley near Leeds. Pretty stressed with Maths and History O level retakes and sickening for some digestive wotsit. Watched on TV the jubilee beacon being lit by HM in SE England and noted that there was no way beacon on Otley Chevin had waited to see the next one to south strike up!! Weather IIRC was as bad or worse than today.

In 2002 I was three months into same job I'm doing today. Holidaying on the Isle of Harris staying in bunkhouses. Cold and wet until Monday when sun got out and stayed that way except for very short nights until we left on Saturday. No opportunity to see stuff on TV but caught climax of England v Argentina World Cup match on car radio between Losgantir and Tarbert.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 20:11
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - R.P.
Like you Bromp I was in school, can't remember any of the detail. I remember thinking about it then and was far more interested in the celebrations around the anniversary of the American War of Independence that had happened the previous year.....we may have had the day off schoolbut unlikely.

Today was horrible here - took the dogs for the 2 mile circuit around the village, saw one rathe bedraggled UJ en-route - sorted out some bike gear that needed looking at. Otherwise just fiddled about.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 20:30
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Zero
1977? can't remember it

2002? can't remember it

I know how old I was and where I was working, just cant remember the jubilees, so can't pin down what i was doing.

Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - MD
Street party in Middlesex. Aged 19.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Ted

Exactly the same answer as Zeddo....lack of interest brings lack of memory.

Rotten day today, after brekkie, SWM made some cookies and then we went and bought £50's worth of plants for the baskets and garden. Cranked up a pot of filter and put BBC news 24 on. Nowt but Jubilee...skipped a few channels and ended up watching the news on Russia Today. Little or no jub mention.

Had a kip after lunch.

Ted
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Old Navy
The nearest I got was the Fleet Review on the Clyde in 1965. I was onboard one of the "P" class submarines (HMS Walrus) Seen in the video link. We were in maintenance at Faslane at the time with our engines in bits and we were towed out to our anchorage and back again.

www.britishpathe.com/video/queen-reviews-fleet-1

There were more ships at that review than there is in the whole navy now.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 21:58
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Armel Coussine
Did you see a photo of the Spithead Review held at the time of the coronation ON? The Solent carpeted with ships. That was a navy.
Yes, we now struggle to send a ship where we used to send a fleet.
I have just watched the video clip (above) right through and near the end you see a submarine with the pennant number S08. That is HMS Walrus and I will be stood on the casing.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Londoner
I was in Portsmouth in 1977. I remember watching the Queen review the fleet in the Solent, and the fireworks display in the evening.
The weather was as dismal then as it was today.
Can't remember 2002, though.
In answer to the OP, London or Africa in 1977, London in 2002. While aware of the events I took little interest in them having other demands on my attention. I have paid more attention to this one having nothing much on at the moment.

The Thames procession was a spectacle but was somewhat foxed by the weather and dragged on rather. The BBC coverage inevitably turned out a bit scrappy given the changes to the planned event so over five hours or so it couldn't help being a little bit, well, boring, although there were good moments.

One was a vox pop interview with a heavily made-up black guy in a feathered costume like Prince Monolulu's. He said in a very camp voice that he was designing a series of costumes for 'queens through the ages', several of whom turned out to be men... the camera quickly wandered off him in a bewildered sort of way... Another was the sopping wet LPO choir singing its heart out.

Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Cliff Pope
1887. My great grandfather had his pocket watch stolen while watching the golden jubilee.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Dave_
In 1977 I was almost 5, and can remember waving a plastic flag on a stick at a beacon-lighting event.

Last night I bought a plastic flag on a stick for my 5-year-old son to wave at a beacon-lighting event. Had a really good evening.

In 2002 I did make a delivery to the Mall in the run-up to the celebrations, but I was working hard all through the GJ events themselves and missed out on the Brian-May-on-the-roof thing altogether.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - BiggerBadderDave
Every single time someone mentions the jubilee, I immediately think about the triangular, pyramid-type of ice lolly pop, the Jubbly. Do they still make them?

Almost impossible for a 7 year-old to open one - 20 minute task - and no lolly pop stick.

They seemed so enormous, I wonder how big they really are. Like a Wagon Wheel - used to feel huge like a steering wheel, but in reality, they're the same size as a chocolate digestive (but thicker).
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Dog
Scroll down for the lolly, man.

www.kzwp.com/lyons/group2a.htm
I remember that Bionic Lolly, dog. 1976 - I was 9.

But that Lolly Gobble Choc Bomb??? - That's more like something you do with two hookers in Soho.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Manatee
Wagon wheels WERE bigger!

And they were luvvly, those jubblies.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - crocks
I remember Jubblies when I was young, just as BBD descibes them.
We definitely referred to the Queen's Silver Jubbly.

A couple of years ago I saw some in Tesco and couldn't resist buying. About ten for a pound. They were tiny and not as satisfying as the real thing!

Here they are. www.calypso.co.uk/Jubbly
Ah the Jubbly!

Yes they were a: impossible to open and b: huge. Of course thats why one needed to carry a pen knife around, so one could cut off the corner or ones Jubbly.

You always sucked the juice out of it and were left with a giant cold flavourless iceberg. With frostbitten fingers.

Wagon wheels have shrunk over time, they were bigger in the old days.

The other delight of course were Jamboree (or lucky) bags. 3d each, full of crap. Loved them.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Meldrew
in 1977 I was on resettlement leave from the RAF. In 2002 I was a Civil Servant in Germany. Today I am retired in Rutland
>>Wagon wheels have shrunk over time, they were bigger in the old days<<

Could it be though that you were smaller and so they looked bigger.

:}
But it seems like my hands have got smaller and smaller.
Same for the Coronation Review of the RAF. On 15 July 1953 the Queen conducted a Coronation Review of the Royal Air Force at RAF Odiham. This spectacular featured a flypast by about 640 aircraft - among them 440 jet aircraft
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Falkirk Bairn
In 1953, 6 yrs and 8 mths - out playing, dad at work, mum watching TV.

There were probably 4/5 people in the street with a car and 3/4 people with a TV!

Average pay was say £7-£10 / week, a 12" B&W TV was 72 guineas (£75.60) so maybe 8 to 11 x average wage.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - zookeeper
remember the sherbet flying saucers? i think they were a farthing each.....lost most of my teeth through them.....oh and the politically incorrect spanish gold sweet tobacco ? it looked like real tobacco and tasted like molasses, de-lish
>> looked like real tobacco and tasted like molasses, de-lish

Chocolate cigarettes: sticks of milk chocolate covered in edible rice paper with the end painted red to look like a burning cigarette... liquorice skipping ropes and liquorice pipes, with red hundreds and thousands to give the impression of burning... super-proletarian sweetmeats, in some cases perhaps subsidized by the tobacco industry, were legion when I were a nipper.

However the jubbly was so long after my time that I have never tasted one. They look extremely messy and unhygienic. Ice lollies never appealed much either although I can't claim never to have eaten one.
>>remember the sherbet flying saucers?<<

And don't forget the pink mice :)

Re: jubblies, I used to live on jubblies in the early 60's, always had one in my gob = luvly jubbly!
Just watching the events at the Palace. The Royal party came out onto the Balcony and I think HM was almost shell-shocked at the cheering and enthusiasm of the crowds, for a few seconds at least. Anyone thinking getting rid of the Red Arrows is a good idea should have heard the applause when they flew by. I though the poor soul who had to try and shout his orders to the troops on the parade ground below the balcony did well, trying to be heard over the enthusiastic crowds! A shame the Duke of Edinburgh could not be there, I think the Queen's special day was diminished by his absence; he's been there in support for the 60 years too!
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Pat
Just had five Spitfires (we think), in formation flying over here.

Some cloud cover though so would they be Spitfires and if so where would they be going, they were heading from North to South?

Pat
the bbmf should be over boston around abouts now
What !!!? Have we declared war on Massachusetts ?
. >> What !!!? Have we declared war on Massachusetts ?

We never recovered the taxes for the spoilt tea
No - You're right !
penny royal tea?
looking at the METARS for conningby, should be landing rwy 26 shortly
Last edited by: zookeeper on Tue 5 Jun 12 at 16:43
One may have been a Hurricane Pat
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - sooty123
Looked like that way to me, would follow as they've quite a few more Spitfires than Hurricanes.
which is ironic, far more hurricanes were built than spitfires.
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - sooty123
Possibly I don't know the figures, 'customer' is always right I suppose, more of an interest I guess in the latter than the former. Both were produced in big numbers mind, a surprising amount of spares squirrelled away in the 50's from the the second world war still left in it's original packaging and all.
Actually. I'm wrong. Sort of.

I read somewhere years ago that more hurricanes were built than Spitfires. About 14,000 hurricanes. BUT if you count all the variants (there were many), built under license abroad, through its entire working life (before and after the war) there were 20,000 spitfires built.

The hurricane was cheap and easy to make, easy to repair in the field from quite severe damage, whereas the spit was troublesome to make, had to be heavily modified during its life, so during the key part of the war Hurries were being turned out in enormous numbers and accounted for 60% of the RAF's kills. Was never designed, or built, to last tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 5 Jun 12 at 22:59
In order to save time and money and use existing production techniques the Hurricane was basically a Hawker Fury with a better engine and a monoplane instead of a biplane. Construction of the prototype began in August 1935 and it first flew in October 1935 - 3 months! Makes our development of the Typhoon look a bit tardy, prototype flew in 1994, entered RAF service in 2007!
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - swiss tony
>> Actually. I'm wrong. Sort of.

Printed and framed.... ;-)

Never thought I'd see the day.....
It will be a Limited Edition! Is it signed BTW?
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - bathtub tom
I could never understand why the spit's so much more admired than the hurry. I think the hurry's a far prettier 'plane.

I believe their performance was near identical in the early years of the war and it was only the subsequent development of the spit that made it much faster. I wonder what the hurry could've been with similar development and why it wasn't.
Airframe design probably. The Hurricane was evolved in a slightly different way - as a tank/train buster post D-Day it had few equals...
 Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Duncan
The Hurricane was credited with 80% of the kills by Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain.

Silver and Golden Jubilees - Where? - Bromptonaut
>> The Hurricane was credited with 80% of the kills by Fighter Command during the Battle
>> of Britain.
>>
>>

Indeed though the Luftwaffe pilots tended to report their opponent as a Spit!!
Latest Forum Posts