Non-motoring > Camcorders. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 23

Camcorders. - Dutchie
Looking for some advice.We would like a camcorder,don't want to miss filming our first granddaughter growing up.I have looked at the JVC Everio G2.Something simple to use and put film on the computer or television.Anybody who has a camcorder and experiences would be appreciated.Thanks.
 Camcorders. - Bigtee
Using a Panasonic sdr-h101 happy with it and have the extra battery not original for longer periods.

Small compact easy to use and do the same as you want film my lad at partys etc.
 Camcorders. - Zero
Personally, for that use I wouldn't buy a camcorder, but buy a compact camera that will do ordinary piccies and hd 1080 video.

Filming kids is an instant of the moment thing, and you want a camera thats charged, versatile and with you most of the time, and one of the good compacts fits that bill.

Camcorders. - PhilW
How about a Flip camera?
Wife has one, seems to give good results and so handy - about the size of a packet of fags. Easy to download onto computer (USB connection).
Having said that - I haven't used a video camera since the days of a huge camera with shoulder rest and a full sized video recorder slung across other shoulder!
Might be worth a look though
www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/new-flip-video-ultrahd-910708/review
I gather they are heavily discounted (reason??)
 Camcorders. - CGNorwich
"How about a Flip camera?"

Stopped making them I'm afraid.
 Camcorders. - PhilW
Still seem to be available on Amazon?

www.amazon.co.uk/Flip-Video-Definition-Camcorder-Memory/dp/B0029U29A8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338835632&sr=8-1

Why did they stop making them? Because modern "still" cameras have a good video mode??
 Camcorders. - spamcan61
>> Still seem to be available on Amazon?
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Flip-Video-Definition-Camcorder-Memory/dp/B0029U29A8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338835632&sr=8-1
>>
>> Why did they stop making them? Because modern "still" cameras have a good video mode??
>>
>>
that and the fact many fancy smartphones can also to HD video of sorts.
 Camcorders. - Focusless
Bought this a few weeks ago, and seems pretty good for HD video (and still) 'snaps':
www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-w200_Camcorder_review

Paid £64 for a reconditioned one from Argos with 12 month warranty on ebay; box not perfect but everything else seems to be:
tinyurl.com/czxk7to
 Camcorders. - Focusless
>> box not perfect but everything else seems to be:

I mean perfect condition - you'd probably have to pay a bit more than £64 to get the perfect camcorder :)
 Camcorders. - Dog
This don't look too bad Dutchie:

www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Handycam-CX190-Full-Camcorder/dp/B006W74H1S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338836442&sr=8-3
 Camcorders. - Fursty Ferret
I second what Zero said - any modern compact will do decent 1080p footage.

Having said that, I'm very fond of my GoPro, which has suffered plenty of abuse biking, climbing, and at work videoing the dodgier landings. :-)
 Camcorders. - Dutchie
Thanks for all the advice.I think I still like a camcorder,I have a decent camara good enough for me.I might have a look in the shops try a few out.Best prices seem to be on the internet.
 Camcorders. - Ted

I have a Vivitar DVR850W.......it's got a fold out flip screen but it's shaped like a small handgun rather than a mobile phone.

It's yellow,,,,,,presumably so you don't get the Tactical Firearms Unit surrounding you when you aim it at someone.

PC World..about £60, I think. USB to PC. Takes stills ok...did me legs !

Ted
 Camcorders. - Dutchie
Thanks Ted shaped like a small handgun just what I need.>:)Daughter bought me a new mobile phone It's like a brick and waterproof.Ready for battle.
 Camcorders. - Ted

This is this years model, Dutchess. Looks the same as mine but probably does a bit more.

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/vivitar-dvr950w-waterproof-hd-camcorder-black-11978314-pdt.html

Ted
 Camcorders. - Dutchie
That's a good price Ted.It's getting confusing now so many choices.I tend to drop things and can be clumsy this camcorder looks it can take a bit of hammer.
 Camcorders. - Ted

It comes with a cord and wrist strap, Dutch. No need for it to end up in the river. You do need the memory card, though...I bought the bag as well.

Ted
 Camcorders. - Dutchie
It looks good Ted.I will be using it when going on holiday also.What's it like downloading to laptop or the television?I have a good read what it can do.The three year return or fault package isn't expensive.
 Camcorders. - Ted

I only download to my PC. Simple enough, just plug it in via a USB and then the screen asks you what you want to do. Just like a digital camera.

Bedtime !

Ted
 Camcorders. - Focusless
FWIW the Samsung I bought (mentioned above) is waterproof - you can film underwater - and 'shockproof'.
 Camcorders. - Dutchie
Thanks Focus,I won't be filming under water I never survive it>:)Shockproof helps,my moblile phone is build to last.
 Camcorders. - movilogo
Rules for buying a camcorder.

1. Bigger and heavier it is, more likely you are not going to use it.
2. Most people stop using camcorder after sometime (while they still continue to use camera)
3. Compact cameras and even smartphones can take HD video.
4. Number of times you will watch your video is inversely proportional to length of clip (i.e. shorter videos are watched more often later).

Camcorders. - Dutchie
I might go for the one Ted suggested.Simple to use and not to expensive.Download film to my laptop.Thanks for advice.
 Camcorders. - R.P.
www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/13029/Toshiba-Camileo-S20-Full-HD-1080p-Camcorder-3-LCD-Screen-Black/

Bargain.
Latest Forum Posts