Non-motoring > There's an Apple on the telly Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 52

There's an Apple on the telly - Iffy
Apple is 'returning' to the QVC shopping channel at 5pm today.

Interesting marketing move, Apple is very protective of its brand and many in the company probably view shopping telly as too low rent.

QVC already has one or two premium brands, including Bose.

Both companies manage to control their prices better than most, so why buy from QVC?

In the case of Bose, it's often 'added value'.

The music box will be about the same price as elsewhere, but QVC will include an accessory such as headphones.

I wonder how QVC will persuade us to buy Apple from them?

There's an Apple on the telly - Zero
Wonder what they will be selling.

Have to say tho, I never watch QVC.
 There's an Apple on the telly - CGNorwich
Shopping channels seem a strange way to shop. Aimed at impulse buyers I suppose. Are they particularly cheap?
 There's an Apple on the telly - R.P.
No. From what I saw a few years ago but as iffy says they do add some "value" if you buy from there. Would never buy direct from Bose again. Probably going to the States later this year I would buy and ship from the US.
...No. From what I saw a few years ago but as iffy says they do add some "value"...

QVC make great play of their 30 day money back guarantee applying to all goods.

I only tend to watch the gadget shows, but the presenters say you can buy, for example, a computer or camera, use it for a month, and if you don't like it send it back for a refund.

Another attraction is short term interest free credit for anyone with a debit card.

Wqatching QVC is akin to be being drawn in to a Timeshare pitch. I don't need to be sold to for 30 minutes by some vacuous tart who's only skill is thrusting her tits out.
er....maybe not...of course you're right...
...Wqatching QVC is akin to be being drawn in to a Timeshare pitch. I don't need to be sold to for 30 minutes by some vacuous tart who's only skill is thrusting her tits out...

Think you might need to update your knowledge base, Zeddo.

QVC presenters are relatively low-key.

The Apple show is being presented by Charlie Brook, who is only ever so slightly smarmy.

Not sure if I can get it on the Austerity Package I have from Sky - their website reckons it starts at ten. May have a peep. Not that I want anything of course.
>> Not sure if I can get it on the Austerity Package I have from Sky
>> - their website reckons it starts at ten. May have a peep. Not that I
>> want anything of course.

Sounds like you are tempted by the thrusting.....
...Not sure if I can get it on the Austerity Package I have from Sky...

Should do, it's on Freeview.

Channel 640 on Sky.

skyplustv.sky.com/tv-guide#/
Freeview not plumbed in downstairs and Mrs RP on nights...toss up between the Archers Omnibus and QVC now - making a nice coffee in my Amazon sourced coffee maker !
You know their names?

You *really* need to get out more. Do you miss crossroads?
...You know their names?...

You would probably know one or two - Simon Biagi, Debbie Greenwood, Charlie Dimmock.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 10 Jun 12 at 09:28
You know ALL the cast!!!!!

< shakes head sadly >
 There's an Apple on the telly - VxFan
>> The Apple show is being presented by Charlie Brook

Thought she'd be too busy on Eastenders to make an appearance on QVC.
Eastenders ?
 There's an Apple on the telly - VxFan
>> Eastenders ?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brooks
Bose is not that protective of its brand image. They have a couple of discount outlets around the country.
And crap customer services. Had a run in with them over a pair of headphones they claimed I'd bought from them a few years ago....had to turn the screws on them in the end.
 There's an Apple on the telly - Roger.
From the little I have seen of shopping channels, their postage & packing charges are grossly excessive and many of their order telephone numbers have premium high rate charges.
I would not touch them with yours!
However I suppose they do give activity to out of work, otherwise unemployable, actors!!
Last edited by: Roger on Sun 10 Jun 12 at 09:22
...their order telephone numbers have premium high rate charges...

That's another QVC attraction - the order number is free.

Although you do have to take postage into account.

I suppose if you're savvy enough to have a laptop on hand to compare prices on ohter places and you actually want/need what they're punting...

I have two friends who drink at the QVC well....both spend a fortune on lotions and perfumes there...they shop from their beds...!
...both spend a fortune on lotions and perfumes there...

Big market for QVC, there's now a separate health and beauty channel.

See I didn't know that - probably a demographic thing.
Moved into the lounge...jury still out - radio on standby for the Archers - just in case...
Oh --- Apple thing not on until 5.00pm. I'll have forgotten by then ! Archers it is then !
...Oh --- Apple thing not on until 5.00pm...

Yes, that was in the first line of my OP - wondered what you were doing.

I shan't forget, I'm looking forward to it.

I'll get distracted.....but like Father Jack like that these days....
One of the big players on QVC is Liz Earle cosmetics, which are pitched towards the higher end of the market.

If you don't have a Fenwick or John Lewis nearby, apart from a handful of independents, it's either buy direct or from QVC.

uk.lizearle.com/

Successful business, I think she's been named Businesswoman of the Year a couple of times.

One of the big players on QVC is Liz Earle cosmetics, which are pitched towards the higher end of the market.

So why do they sell on shopping channels aimed firmly at C1 C2 D markets ?

...So why do they sell on shopping channels aimed firmly at C1 C2 D markets ?...

That's just the point, not all shopping channels are the same.

Most of the gadgets on QVC are mid to upper market.

Isn't it the viewers who are C1 C2 and D and not the gadgets?
QVC sell to millions of households which is bound to take in a wide range of income brackets.

Most of the stuff I've seen is mid to upper market, so the customers have the money to buy it, whatever letters and numbers you label them with.

Quite right iffy. :-)
>> QVC sell to millions of households which is bound to take in a wide range
>> of income brackets.
>>
>> Most of the stuff I've seen is mid to upper market, so the customers have
>> the money to buy it, whatever letters and numbers you label them with.

Funnily enough, those with the least available money, usually get the worse value for money.
 There's an Apple on the telly - Roger.
...................and it is, by and large, those with the least money who buy the most prepared supermarket meals, crispy snacks and sugar laden fizzy pop.
 There's an Apple on the telly - Robin O'Reliant
Surely with the interweb shopping channels are surplus to requirements?
...Funnily enough, those with the least available money, usually get the worse value for money...

That's true, but you seem to be falling - like CG and Roger - into the trap of assuming everyone who orders from QVC is on benefits and lives in a council house.

Not at all. I was simply making the point that a cosmetics firm that really aspires to be exclusive would not advertise on a shopping channel.

C1 , C2, D is basically the profile of the Daily Mail readership. I doubt they are all on benefits or indeed living in council houses but if they are good luck to them.
...I was simply making the point that a cosmetics firm that really aspires to be exclusive would not advertise on a shopping channel...

One might think Apple might also not touch a shopping channel for similar reasons, but they are.

QVC is now respectable, mainstream and middle class, which it may not have been - or at least not all three - when it launched in the UK 18 years ago.

Some of the auction-style premium phone number shopping channels look tacky to me, and you don't see the likes of Apple, Bose, Dyson, Panasonic etc on them.

Well iffy i for one will be dropping in for a look, although I am a closet reader of Dacre's efforts !

Have some spare. Cash from my scratchcards this week ! :-)
 There's an Apple on the telly - sherlock47
>>>Have some spare. Cash from my scratchcards this week ! :-)<<<

You will declaring your Bingo winnings next :)
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 10 Jun 12 at 16:17
HOUSE !
THe Apple stuff doesn't seem particularly cheap. Amazon looks the better deal

www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.nav/params.file.UKMC0CYW,1.class.UKMC0CYW.level.3/walk.yah.ukbr~UKMC?cm_re=Hero-_-Carousel1-_-ApplereturnstoQVC
 There's an Apple on the telly - sherlock47
duplc
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 10 Jun 12 at 16:15
 There's an Apple on the telly - rtj70
Those prices for Apple products on QVC look like normal Apple prices. e.g. the mouse and MB Air are that price at the Apple store.
I still have access to staff/partner discounts with them via my old profession. Not worth it then.
 There's an Apple on the telly - rtj70
I also have access to some discounts via work - although Amazon probably come close.

I suppose the point of them putting Apple products on QVC is to appeal to those that don't go into Apple stores to look at products. Seeing them on the channel will be better at promoting them than static web pages.

>> QVC is now respectable, mainstream and middle class, which it may not have been -
>> or at least not all three - when it launched in the UK 18 years
>> ago.

No its not. The respectable and middle class look down at QVC watchers with scorn and derision. Its for those who are unable to make intelligent shopping choices, and need to be sold things. Its the visual equivalent of the cold telephone technique.
Zero I'm hooked - been watching it all day !
SCORN

DERISION

HEAP

HEAP
:-)
Latest Forum Posts