Non-motoring > Raining though? A bit moist though? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 23

Raining though? A bit moist though? - Armel Coussine
65mm in 24 hours not a mile from here, and water right across the road in all the usual places. Best to pussyfoot in the bad places. You don't want green seas in yer intake, knowImean?
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - R.P.
18 degrees and sunny up here today - biked to work - on the GS - which thrives on crap weather and has been ridden through floods.....albeit carefully
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - ....
When was the last time you saw so much rain AC ? When you were an apprentice on Ye Olde Ark ? :-)

I was in NE England this weekend, I was fed-up with the rain. Not on the same scale as Wales but wet enough when trying to do a house clearance into a skip.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Dutchie
Cold here in Yorkshire, no rain today.It feels like a mild winter.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - MD
North Devon. The Blighters forecast precip' again, but nowt. Same as Saturday. Met office for the sack.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Kevin
These photos must have been taken less than a minute after I went through here this morning.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-18395322

In the second photo the car on the left in front of the 5 Series GT is a 3 Series that is just being pushed out of the water by the guys from the AA van you can see parked in the central reservation just after the barriers.

The 3 Series had actually been stuck in the offside lane and the 530d tried to go around it in the nearside lane where the water is deeper.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Bromptonaut
>> These photos must have been taken less than a minute after I went through here
>> this morning.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-18395322
>>

Had either or both banjaxed their engines via water ingestion?

The Nene used to burst it banks round here (flood relief c2000 seems to have cured). In floods circa 1991 there was a Fiesta D van sat engine running but clearly mortally wounded by roadside up at Heyford. Driver seemed to be hoping it would 'dry out'!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 11 Jun 12 at 20:58
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Kevin
>Had either or both banjaxed their engines via water ingestion?

The 530d had definitely ingested water.

I was watching from behind and the driver had driven up to the 3 Series at a steady pace with a decent bow wave. If she'd kept going at that pace she would have been OK but for some reason she braked and then came to a sudden halt.

I don't know what did it for the 3 Series.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Leif
Supposedly 2 hour waits on the M27 near Chichester due to flooding nearby. Driving home was foul, heavy continuous rain as per all day. At work they used to have a radio controlled duck which they would throw out of the window and navigate around flooded areas in the courtyard below.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Zero
It's been raining hard down home for 12 hours, took off from Southampton airport in a cloudburst this morning. Being in the back of a Dash 8 I could see the wheels and undercart as we took off. There was a veritable bow wave in front of the wheels! Never seen such a wet runway!
Where are you Zero ?
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Zero
Jersey. Was lazing round the pool in the sun this afternoon. Won't last
Got a brand new Ka on hire (200 miles from new ) - impressed!

Raining though? A bit moist though? - Ted

No rain since Saturday here in Arcadia. Nice and sunny yesterday, daughter had a BBQ for all the family and we had to put the gazebo up to keep the Sun off.

Not bad today, warm and dry but some clouds. Did some jobs on the caravan until the footy came on the telly.

Off into the city tomorrow to swap a couple of cars over...will go in on the tram and I might ride the trains for an hour or two......within the ' free travel ' area, of course !

Ted
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Leif
>> It's been raining hard down home for 12 hours, took off from Southampton airport in
>> a cloudburst this morning. Being in the back of a Dash 8 I could see
>> the wheels and undercart as we took off. There was a veritable bow wave in
>> front of the wheels! Never seen such a wet runway!

I always suspected that you had your head in the clouds, now it is confirmed as fact. ;) No coming back with the obvious riposte, keep it clean. :)
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Dog
Bude-iful day today ere in Cornwall, I even managed to get some colour on them milk white legs at last!
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - devonite
Please could you send me some rain up here? - my allotment water-butts are almost dry! - i dont fancy having to run-out my hose-pipe from the communal tap! - he-he!
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - FocalPoint
Just got back from Grange Park Opera (Nr Winchester). Drove down from Hertfordshire in solid rain. M3 was awful - could hardly see a thing. Rained all the time we were there, it seems. Rained through the interval picnic. Rained all the way home.

Brilliant show, though.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Tue 12 Jun 12 at 00:54
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Cliff Pope
It's curious how localised rain can be though.
We had very little rain, but 40 miles away Aberystwyth was a flood disaster zone.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Dave_
>> It's curious how localised rain can be though

Last Wednesday I had to nip half a mile across town and back. It was spitting where I went, but back at home I had to stay in the car on the drive for 5 minutes watching torrents of water rolling down the road. I checked just afterwards and we'd had 14mm of rain in 10 minutes, with a peak rate of 270mm/hour - the heaviest rainfall rate since 2007. The playing field over the back was briefly almost completely underwater, which I haven't seen since living here.

Half a mile away they didn't even need to take their washing in.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 12 Jun 12 at 08:48
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Bromptonaut
>> Last Wednesday I had to nip half a mile across town and back.

Same day I took The Lad and mates to Donnington. Just north of Leicester, around J21A, it was torrential; the wipers couldn't cope and vis down well below 100m.

By J21 the road was dry.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Dave_
If that was around 5pm Bromp that would have been the same shower - I'm west of j22/23 and a few miles due south of Donington Park.

Download was just about audible outside my house late on Saturday evening - enough to be able to tell it was guitar rock music anyway.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 12 Jun 12 at 11:39
Absolutly horrendous scenes on the BBC Wales news yesterday - Good reporting and in particular good journalistic interviews with a mouthpiece for the ABI who recommended that householders took flood/sewerage contaminated furniture back into their homes before they were inspected by loss adjusters.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - madf
Acquaintance did not turn up for yoga Sunday: apparently too busy with excavators helping
remove half a hillside which had slipped onto the back wall of a neighbour's house...due to very heavy rain.

One of our cast iron gutters - must be well over 100 years old - which had cracked and been repaired before - split across with the weight of rain.. I made a more durable repair on Monday when it was dry... I hate heights and old cast iron is both brittle and very hard: ended up ditching my cordless drill and using my 1 KW corded one 6 metres up a ladder:-)

And then one hive swarmed yesterday, and we had a plumbing leak and my next door neighbour wanted help with his lawnmower which refused to run#... etc etc..

# overheating due to cooling system blocked with grass.
 Raining though? A bit moist though? - Ted

Have to join you in the ' disaster of the week ' club, Madf. No rain today. Opened the fridge yesterday and the door dragged out a glass dinner plate with a bowl of raspberries on it. None of these items survived hitting the floor ! Opened the freezer under the fridge last night, pulled the top drawer out and found that SWM had put some heavy stuff at the front. The drawer took the same plunge as the raspbies, smashing some of the plastic.

Made dinner today, chicken and vegetable pasta. Used a big frying pan. Took it off the gas when it was cooked, to put the pasta in and the pan parted company with it's handle, dumping me exquisite culinary preparation all over the Amtico !

Had a trip to the chippy and prayed for rain :-(

Ted
Latest Forum Posts