Non-motoring > Cat behaviour Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 48

Cat behaviour - L'escargot
I read somewhere that cats like to sleep in (open-topped) cardboard boxes. We tried it with our cat and found, by trial and error, that it preferred to sleep in a box which is only just big enough for it to curl up into. The preferred height of the box is such that, when curled up, the tips of its ears are just about level with the top of the box.
 Cat behaviour - Zero
Dogs like to sleep in cardboard boxes too. Optimal height for box, is length of their leg, so they can get in and pop a head up over the box if disturbed (if someone throws a rolled up sock at them for example)

So I have been told.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 18 Jun 12 at 10:42
 Cat behaviour - Cliff Pope
They vary in my observation. We have 4 cats.
One likes to sleep at the bottom of a nearly empty laundry basket. She has discovered how to flip the lid by jumping on it.
One likes to sleep in the middle of a large bean bag.
One sleeps in the middle of the landing floor.
One sleeps on the bed of whichever of us she happens to be favouring that week.

But they all move around periodically, for no obvious reasons. In winter they find places nearer the stove. In very cold weather they all sleep curled together on the shelf next to the stove.
 Cat behaviour - FocalPoint
I bet the one sleeping on the landing floor has found a warm spot above a hot water pipe. Cats are extraordinarily sensitive to temperature.
 Cat behaviour - bathtub tom
>> I bet the one sleeping on the landing floor has found a warm spot above
>> a hot water pipe. Cats are extraordinarily sensitive to temperature.

Yes, ours sleeps on a worktop above the 'fridge. Not very hygienic!
 Cat behaviour - big bird
Our kids were having a retro games night a few months back and played Mastermind. The cat promptly sat in the lid and wouldn't budge.

She has grown a bit now so doesn't really fit but will squeeze into it on sight whenever it is left out.
>>

No pipes, no heating. She just likes being in the way.
i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/Cliffordpope/tilly1.jpg
 Cat behaviour - devonite
Good grief! - I bet you still answer that phone with the words Ahoy-Ahoy!! ;-)
 Cat behaviour - Armel Coussine
>> No pipes, no heating

... but impressively state-of-the-art communications equipment I see.

:o}
 Cat behaviour - CGNorwich
Gardening tip - Schlumbergera (Christmas cactus) needs a feed

;-)
Thanks for the gardening tip.

The phone actually works. Incoming calls only, because nobody answers if I try to call the operator by cranking the handle. But it does ring the house bell, which could be useful I suppose.
 Cat behaviour - Mike Hannon
>Gardening tip - Schlumbergera (Christmas cactus) needs a feed<

My friend down the road (SW France) has a Christmas cactus now in flower.

>> My friend down the road (SW France) has a Christmas cactus now in flower.

Well we won't have to wait long

www.xmasclock.com/
 Cat behaviour - Ian (Cape Town)
>>
A while back, was in the loft, and dropped the hatch back through the hole (as it were). The thing was made of battens and plasterboard, and broke.
BUT before I got round to making a new one, Binky the cat (RIP) decided that sleeping right in the middle of the hallway was fine with her - obviously the hot draughts down from the roofspace were nice.
difficult trying to negotiate past a sleeping cat in a hallway.
Fixed the hatch-cover a few weeks later, and got some really dirty looks from Binky.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Jun 12 at 19:03
 Cat behaviour - Ambo
Cats allegedly move around sleeping areas in order to foil enemies. Ours all have and none has even sniffed at any cat basket we have provided.
 Cat behaviour - Bromptonaut
The brother in law posted this on on FB:

www.epiclol.com/cat-is-abercrombie-fitch-model/
 Cat behaviour - Pat
Tilly is beautiful Cliff:)

Our three seem to have a chosen spot for a few weeks and then move to a different one for no apparent reason.

They do prefer small boxes though.

Ginger loves to sleep in the greenhouse on the staging in the summer and there was a tray he could just fit into when curled up he loved.

I found him a bigger one, with bits of old hanging basket liner in and placed it next door to the smaller one, thinking he'd be more comfortable, but he's ignored it.

It's nice being on holiday but I'm missing them now, so can we not mention cats on here until we get home please?;)

Pat

Cat behaviour - Duncan
Cats.
 Cat behaviour - Roger.
Felix Domesticus.
Our cat doesn't respond to being called by a name, so it doesn't have a name. It only responds to "er indoors (but not me) calling "Come here" at feeding time. Perhaps it thinks its name is "Come here"! If we're talking about it, it's referred to as "The Cat"
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 19 Jun 12 at 08:26
 Cat behaviour - Mike H
Having had a string of cats over the years, I've tried calling them anything, but in the same tone that I use for their name. I think it's that they respond to rather than a specific name. And I have called them a few things over the years, particularly when they perform some form of physical indiscretion...the current one has a predilection for returning her breakfast on the odd occasion.
 Cat behaviour - Slidingpillar
My brother and I carried out a series of experiments on name calling with the family dog. We reckoned he just responded to the tone shape and the actual length of the word was near academic. He was called 'Rusty' but came even if you called 'Traction Engine' as long as you used the same intonation.

Cats though, never known one that would respond to their name. A tin opener, a chopping knife on a board, yes, the preparation of a feline treat or even some human ones was sure to get you an 'assistant'.
 Cat behaviour - Duncan
We found the best way to get a cat to come to you is to make a noise with a dish containing their favourite food. They very soon learn to associate the sound with pleasure!
Yes bit what is the best way to make them go away.

Surrounded by the wretched things. Why do people now keep 2, 3 or as in the case of one of my neighbours 4 cats. Surely 1 per household is enough.
There's no choice. If you are a cat person then they just arrive. Like tramps, they seem to leave invisible messages for their friends (This one's a right sucker, you'll get a good meal here).

Four is the magic number for a decent-seized house (they do like to have their own room), and whenever we have less than that one just arrives to make up the deficiency.
Often there are outdoor cats too. These mostly know their place, but are ever eager for news of a vacancy.

People don't have cats - cats have staff.
 Cat behaviour - DP
How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you:

www.catswhothrowupgrass.com/kill.php

:-)
"There's no choice. If you are a cat person then they just arrive. "

No, people own cats. I live in a suburban environment. I am surrounded by people who own multiple cats who use my garden as a toilet. Their own gardens are mostly paved over. If you live in the country fine, have as many cats as you like. If you live in a town or suburban environment you really have some obligation to behave in a responsible manner to you neighbours.

I am not against cats, I have one myself but I don't take a sentimental view of the things. They can be a nuisance to others and and too many cats are an undoubted nuisance.
 Cat behaviour - DP
>> My brother and I carried out a series of experiments on name calling with the
>> family dog. We reckoned he just responded to the tone shape and the actual length
>> of the word was near academic. He was called 'Rusty' but came even if you
>> called 'Traction Engine' as long as you used the same intonation.

Our dog (a border collie / lab x) is the exact opposite. He recognises the word, and ignores the intonation. Every time the word "dog" is mentioned in a conversation, his ears prick up and he will instantly look at whoever said the word.

We tested it by saying his most favourite and least favourite things in all kinds of intonations and at different speeds. In all cases, the behaviour / reaction matched the subject rather than the intonation.

For example "Do you want some dinner?", however it was spoken, had him up off his bed, tail wagging, and doing his funny bouncing "motioning" towards the kitchen.

"Do you want a bath?" saw his tail instantly go between his legs, as he made a beeline for his bed (he hates water).

I could not make him respond positively to bath, or negatively to dinner however I said it. Similarly "Go to your bed" always achieves the desired result, whether spoken softly, or with a raised voice. He's a clever little so-and-so.

Like people, all animals are different. I've never really been a cat person, but dogs have distinct individual personalities which for me is what makes them a joy to own. My sister has a dog which obeys various commands, but for whatever reason sometimes just comes over all stubborn and not only refuses to do as commanded, but stares at you with a look of complete disdain that would be worthy of any cat. :-)
 Cat behaviour - Dutchie
We have two cats Lina and Molly.Lina is fifteen and Molly is six.Lina is in charge and Molly knows it.Both go in the garden there in and out the house when they feel like it.I still like a dog again but that be sometime in the future.We used to have dogs when we where young.Keeshonds German Sheperds.And a Irish Terrier he was a caracter fearless and great with children.I used to take him for long walks.Our neighbour had a Airedale Terrier and he used to go with me.Molly and Lina come to me I don't make a fuss.When cats like you they come and sit with you.Cats are more independent than dogs. I've found over the years.My favorite cat was Tommy.He died about two years ago.I got him as a kitten beatifull cat big ginger tom.
 Cat behaviour - DP
>> Cats are more independent than dogs. I've found over the years.

Massively so. Cats are incredibly skilled hunters, and are quite capable of feeding themselves if they are hungry. My aunt used to live in an area where there were a few stray cats, and they were some of the most aggressive, intimidating creatures I've come across.

Dogs are scavengers and much more dependent on their owners for their wellbeing. Without regular feeding, or an otherwise easily accessible source of food, a dog simply won't survive. Being pack animals, dogs also need company, either canine or human.
Feral cats will survive in the wild but only normally live five or six years. After that they become too slow to hunt and succumb to starvation or disease.
 Cat behaviour - Zero
>> succumb to starvation or disease.

or dogs.
In my observation living in the country there are very few genuinely wild savage feral cats.
But there is a large floating population of unattached freelance cats who are drifting around looking for a cosy billet. They may be abandoned domestic cats, or have simply walked out of homes they didn't like, perhaps because the owners got a dog, or children who teased them. They are perfectly able to hunt for themselves, but obviously prefer an easier life with someone to feed them if the opportunity arises.
Some may in fact have several "owners", and they commute between those who supply the nicest food or the best airing cupboard to sleep in. It always feels like a privilege to have one, because you know it has chosen you in preference to someone else, and always reserves the right to stalk out again if you don't live up to expectations.
>> It always feels like a
>> privilege to have one, because you know it has chosen you in preference to someone
>> else, and always reserves the right to stalk out again if you don't live up
>> to expectations.
>>

Our cat chose us. It turned up one day as a young cat, and hid amongst the bushes, frequently mewing. After a few months, "er indoors started feeding it and from then onwards it became our cat. It still goes out hunting at night. Sometimes, once it's got a bellyful of mice, rabbits etc. at night it comes back through the catflap and sleeps until teatime.
"In my observation living in the country there are very few genuinely wild savage feral cats."

Mainly due I think due to the proliferation of cat "rescue" charities. They hardly have chance to settle down before some well meaning old ladies have whisked them off to be castrated or neutered.

Interestingly feral cats live in colonies of up to a dozen or so thus belying the reputation that cats are solitary animals. When domesticated cats effectively treat the humans as part of the colony looking to them for protection. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that petting and handling a kitten and continuing to feed it effectively prevents it mentally from growing up and it retains its juvenile behaviour It is impossible to domesticate an adult feral cat.
>> It is impossible to
>> domesticate an adult feral cat.
>>

I think that's probably correct. But there are half-way cats. I have known farm cats that live outdoors, can be pretty wild, but with coaxing become almost friendly, and need treating with caution.
There were two such living at our place when I moved in. They could be stroked, would roll about purring, etc, but would never set foot inside, even if coaxed with food. Then a third joined them, clearly related, but a bit more adventurous. It eventually became an indoor cat, but had difficulty learning some indoor skills. It was easily house-trained, as I find cats basically are anyway, but had obviously never learned to sit on a lap, and kept falling off.
Also it had to learn about treats, cheese, cream etc, never having encountered any.

It lived to 15 (estimated) but never quite lost its nervousness if startled.

I have a theory that no dictator has ever been a cat lover. Dictators go for big dogs, and enjoy the feeling of mastery. Any exceptions?
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 20 Jun 12 at 10:26
>> Also it had to learn about treats, cheese, cream etc, never having encountered any.

I didn't know that cats like cheese. Is it all cheese or just some particular types?
 Cat behaviour - DP
Most cats are lactose intolerant. They should never be fed dairy products of any description.

A neighbour kindly fed our old cat some left over cream, which it then proceeded to projectile vomit all the way through the lounge and up the stairs.

Some cats will tolerate a small amount of milk or cream, but many won't.
>> Some cats will tolerate a small amount of milk or cream, but many won't.
>>

Our cat is always provided with a saucer of fresh water but it never appears to drink it. It's never been given milk straight from the bottle so I don't know whether it likes it, but it certainly likes diluted milk.
 Cat behaviour - VxFan
>> It's never been given milk straight from the bottle

I should hope not. The poor thing might get its tongue stuck in the hole ;)
Cats will eat most things if they are hungry enough. It is surprising what the average Greek cat will eat compared with our pampered household mogs.
 Cat behaviour - rtj70
>> It is surprising what the average Greek cat will eat compared with our pampered household mogs.

Indeed - they will often eat bread, chips, etc. Ours wouldn't! Although this May one Greek cat that was clearly hungry wouldn't eat chips :-)
 Cat behaviour - Roger.

>> I have a theory that no dictator has ever been a cat lover. Dictators go
>> for big dogs, and enjoy the feeling of mastery. Any exceptions?

Yes - my wife!
Ernst Stavro Blofeld

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds32HOzLP_g
 Cat behaviour - Armel Coussine

>> I have a theory that no dictator has ever been a cat lover. Dictators go for big dogs, and enjoy the feeling of mastery. Any exceptions?

You can't really call Lenin a dictator, although he might have become one had he lived longer. But there's a silent film clip of him sitting on a sofa talking, while stroking a tabby cat lying in his lap at the sort of manic speed that a lot of cats find annoying.

It's clear enough that Lenin liked cats, even if his successors went in for bears instead.
 Cat behaviour - helicopter
Talking of Greek cats , I was in a seaside taverna last week when I spotted a pretty looking large eyed cat sitting under a chair at the next table and went to stroke it gently and got my finger clawed for my trouble...the little thing drew blood in two places on my index finger .

Despite a liberal application of Raki to the wounds ( Raki is the Greek equivalent of surgical spirit except that you don't normally drink surgical spirit) , my finger was swollen quite dramatically the next day .....

.....Luckily swelling has gone now after a couple of days but I will be very much more wary in future....
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Jun 12 at 18:46
 Cat behaviour - FocalPoint
"I have a theory that no dictator has ever been a cat lover."

Does Dr Evil, with his cat Mr. Bigglesworth, count?
 Cat behaviour - Rudedog
Both my cats love cheese, especially the male, he will eat strong cheddar or any of the cream cheeses and he's particularly fond of a few cheese and onion crisps, strangely they've never really got into milk though.
Latest Forum Posts